RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: 1000 islands hammock camping report

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
      SWFLPC on Yahoo groups. (MangroveNavy is the camping sub-group.)

      Glad you enjoyed it.

      It does sorta put you a little closer to the bugs during some hours when the
      beach is too sunny for them, but in the middle of the day with the sea
      breeze blowing it's not a problem as shown by the beach campers visiting my
      shade. Also they had to go into the woods to potty, so once you have your
      deet or skin so soft or whatever on, it's not a big deal where you are. I
      thought the location was a net gain over tenting on the beach. Many
      complained about sand in their tents from the wind. Of course blowing sand
      didn't get up high enough to enter my hammock.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
        Back in the '60's, my Dad had a yacht/boat. Somehow, he got to be buddies with an Air Force guy, who told him that the connecting lines to the arresting-parachute for SAC bombers were only used once.

        Dad asked, could he get some?

        About a couple of days later, half of our two-car garage was filled with heavy, thick MilSpec nylon rope (from two training landings). It took us about two more decades of hard use to use it all up or give it all away.

        Chuck Haak <chuckhaak@...> wrote:
        Getting short lengths of Muletape will be a challenge.

        My brother is an industrial electrician.

        I'll echo the electrician tip. A friend of mine works for the local
        electrical utility and they use mule tape to pull wire. He says that they
        are only allowed to use it once, so they have miles of it laying around used
        only once. If you tell them you are hanging your body weight on it, they
        will probably decline to give you any. The stuff he gave me has a slick
        silicone treatment that I don't like. It makes me mistrust the knots I tie
        in it. I use it anyway and have (k)not had a failure.

        Chuck Haak

        .

        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=8969804/grpspId=1705065843/msgId
        =16683/stime=1168120628/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

      • Sandy Kramer
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
          hmmmm anyone seen anything suitable on Sportsman's Guide?

          i'm going to write to treklight and suggest they carry suitable
          ropes!! the hammock arrived yesterday!!

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Keith YOung <tory1942@...>