Re: 1000 islands hammock camping report

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
      enjoyed the pics... which kayak club is this? I belong to a few in
      the south florida area... i like camping on the beach and have also
      wondered if going back into the tree area to hang a hammock doesn't
      throw you right into the skeeter den?????

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I've just returned from three days kayaking (two nights in the
      hammock) and
      > posted a trip report for the kayak club members. There were 14
      kayaks and
      > all had tents but me, so the report is not thick with hammock
      shots. But I
      > thought those on this list might like to check out what I'm doing
      with the
      > hammock down here. Maybe some will find the time to come and join
      us so I'll
      > have some other hammock hangers with which to share the joy.
      >
      > It was quite funny on the first day. As soon as we arrived I hung
      the
      > hammock but with the 15-20 mph winds I kept it in the snake skins
      until
      > evening when it quited down. As each person brought their chair
      over into
      > the shade where I was hanging to escape the heat of the beach (yes,
      life is
      > rough here in SW Florida) they all asked the same three questions?
      >
      > 1) Do you sleep in that? (I just balance on top of it. - which got
      me dirty
      > looks)
      > 2) Doesn't the swinging keep you awake? (No, it rocks me to sleep.
      But if I
      > want I can control that some with these elastic lines -[a HH].)
      > 3) Does it have a fly or anything to keep you dry if it rains?
      (Yes, I have
      > two tarps depending on conditions I will pitch one or both.)
      >
      > It was so predictable that when the fourth person arrived the first
      person
      > answered for me.
      >
      > Anyway, if you want to see a whole lot of kayaking pictures (84 in
      all) and
      > a few shots of my hammock, you can visit:
      >
      > http://picasaweb.google.com/parkscarey/WhitehorseKeyCamping
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Carey

    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
        SWFLPC on Yahoo groups. (MangroveNavy is the camping sub-group.)

        Glad you enjoyed it.

        It does sorta put you a little closer to the bugs during some hours when the
        beach is too sunny for them, but in the middle of the day with the sea
        breeze blowing it's not a problem as shown by the beach campers visiting my
        shade. Also they had to go into the woods to potty, so once you have your
        deet or skin so soft or whatever on, it's not a big deal where you are. I
        thought the location was a net gain over tenting on the beach. Many
        complained about sand in their tents from the wind. Of course blowing sand
        didn't get up high enough to enter my hammock.

        wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I've just returned from three days kayaking (two nights in the
        hammock) and
        > posted a trip report for the kayak club members. There were 14
        kayaks and
        > all had tents but me, so the report is not thick with hammock
        shots. But I
        > thought those on this list might like to check out what I'm doing
        with the
        > hammock down here. Maybe some will find the time to come and join
        us so I'll
        > have some other hammock hangers with which to share the joy.
        >
        > It was quite funny on the first day. As soon as we arrived I hung
        the
        > hammock but with the 15-20 mph winds I kept it in the snake skins
        until
        > evening when it quited down. As each person brought their chair
        over into
        > the shade where I was hanging to escape the heat of the beach (yes,
        life is
        > rough here in SW Florida) they all asked the same three questions?
        >
        > 1) Do you sleep in that? (I just balance on top of it. - which got
        me dirty
        > looks)
        > 2) Doesn't the swinging keep you awake? (No, it rocks me to sleep.
        But if I
        > want I can control that some with these elastic lines -[a HH].)
        > 3) Does it have a fly or anything to keep you dry if it rains?
        (Yes, I have
        > two tarps depending on conditions I will pitch one or both.)
        >
        > It was so predictable that when the fourth person arrived the first
        person
        > answered for me.
        >
        > Anyway, if you want to see a whole lot of kayaking pictures (84 in
        all) and
        > a few shots of my hammock, you can visit:
        >
        > http://picasaweb.google.com/parkscarey/WhitehorseKeyCamping
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Carey

      • Keith YOung
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
          Back in the '60's, my Dad had a yacht/boat. Somehow, he got to be buddies with an Air Force guy, who told him that the connecting lines to the arresting-parachute for SAC bombers were only used once.

          Dad asked, could he get some?

          About a couple of days later, half of our two-car garage was filled with heavy, thick MilSpec nylon rope (from two training landings). It took us about two more decades of hard use to use it all up or give it all away.

          Chuck Haak <chuckhaak@...> wrote:
          Getting short lengths of Muletape will be a challenge.

          My brother is an industrial electrician.

          I'll echo the electrician tip. A friend of mine works for the local
          electrical utility and they use mule tape to pull wire. He says that they
          are only allowed to use it once, so they have miles of it laying around used
          only once. If you tell them you are hanging your body weight on it, they
          will probably decline to give you any. The stuff he gave me has a slick
          silicone treatment that I don't like. It makes me mistrust the knots I tie
          in it. I use it anyway and have (k)not had a failure.

          Chuck Haak

          .

          <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=8969804/grpspId=1705065843/msgId
          =16683/stime=1168120628/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
            hmmmm anyone seen anything suitable on Sportsman's Guide?

            i'm going to write to treklight and suggest they carry suitable
            ropes!! the hammock arrived yesterday!!

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Keith YOung <tory1942@...>