Re: [Hammock Camping] MuleKnot

  • CC Wayah
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2007
      Warning: never test any hammock components while your wife is watching. You
      will be doomed to failure, and your pride as well as your backside will be
      smarting. :]

      Nor on a elevated porch even if it's slightly elavated where you think you
      cannot not get hurt.
      Rolling of was my down fall as it caught the edge of the porch and broke my
      finger.
      About eight week soff of work and surgery.
      Thank the Lord for short term disaility checks.
      CCWayah

      > Ralph Oborn

    • Chuck Haak
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
        Getting short lengths of Muletape will be a challenge.

        My brother is an industrial electrician.

        I'll echo the electrician tip. A friend of mine works for the local
        electrical utility and they use mule tape to pull wire. He says that they
        are only allowed to use it once, so they have miles of it laying around used
        only once. If you tell them you are hanging your body weight on it, they
        will probably decline to give you any. The stuff he gave me has a slick
        silicone treatment that I don't like. It makes me mistrust the knots I tie
        in it. I use it anyway and have (k)not had a failure.

        Chuck Haak

        .

        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=8969804/grpspId=1705065843/msgId
        =16683/stime=1168120628/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

      • Carey Parks
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
          Hello all,

          I've just returned from three days kayaking (two nights in the hammock) and
          posted a trip report for the kayak club members. There were 14 kayaks and
          all had tents but me, so the report is not thick with hammock shots. But I
          thought those on this list might like to check out what I'm doing with the
          hammock down here. Maybe some will find the time to come and join us so I'll
          have some other hammock hangers with which to share the joy.

          It was quite funny on the first day. As soon as we arrived I hung the
          hammock but with the 15-20 mph winds I kept it in the snake skins until
          evening when it quited down. As each person brought their chair over into
          the shade where I was hanging to escape the heat of the beach (yes, life is
          rough here in SW Florida) they all asked the same three questions?

          1) Do you sleep in that? (I just balance on top of it. - which got me dirty
          looks)
          2) Doesn't the swinging keep you awake? (No, it rocks me to sleep. But if I
          want I can control that some with these elastic lines -[a HH].)
          3) Does it have a fly or anything to keep you dry if it rains? (Yes, I have
          two tarps depending on conditions I will pitch one or both.)

          It was so predictable that when the fourth person arrived the first person
          answered for me.

          Anyway, if you want to see a whole lot of kayaking pictures (84 in all) and
          a few shots of my hammock, you can visit:

          http://picasaweb.google.com/parkscarey/WhitehorseKeyCamping

          Cheers,

          Carey

        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
            enjoyed the pics... which kayak club is this? I belong to a few in
            the south florida area... i like camping on the beach and have also
            wondered if going back into the tree area to hang a hammock doesn't
            throw you right into the skeeter den?????

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello all,
            >
            > I've just returned from three days kayaking (two nights in the
            hammock) and
            > posted a trip report for the kayak club members. There were 14
            kayaks and
            > all had tents but me, so the report is not thick with hammock
            shots. But I
            > thought those on this list might like to check out what I'm doing
            with the
            > hammock down here. Maybe some will find the time to come and join
            us so I'll
            > have some other hammock hangers with which to share the joy.
            >
            > It was quite funny on the first day. As soon as we arrived I hung
            the
            > hammock but with the 15-20 mph winds I kept it in the snake skins
            until
            > evening when it quited down. As each person brought their chair
            over into
            > the shade where I was hanging to escape the heat of the beach (yes,
            life is
            > rough here in SW Florida) they all asked the same three questions?
            >
            > 1) Do you sleep in that? (I just balance on top of it. - which got
            me dirty
            > looks)
            > 2) Doesn't the swinging keep you awake? (No, it rocks me to sleep.
            But if I
            > want I can control that some with these elastic lines -[a HH].)
            > 3) Does it have a fly or anything to keep you dry if it rains?
            (Yes, I have
            > two tarps depending on conditions I will pitch one or both.)
            >
            > It was so predictable that when the fourth person arrived the first
            person
            > answered for me.
            >
            > Anyway, if you want to see a whole lot of kayaking pictures (84 in
            all) and
            > a few shots of my hammock, you can visit:
            >
            > http://picasaweb.google.com/parkscarey/WhitehorseKeyCamping
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Carey

          • Carey Parks
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
              SWFLPC on Yahoo groups. (MangroveNavy is the camping sub-group.)

              Glad you enjoyed it.

              It does sorta put you a little closer to the bugs during some hours when the
              beach is too sunny for them, but in the middle of the day with the sea
              breeze blowing it's not a problem as shown by the beach campers visiting my
              shade. Also they had to go into the woods to potty, so once you have your
              deet or skin so soft or whatever on, it's not a big deal where you are. I
              thought the location was a net gain over tenting on the beach. Many
              complained about sand in their tents from the wind. Of course blowing sand
              didn't get up high enough to enter my hammock.

              wrote:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > I've just returned from three days kayaking (two nights in the
              hammock) and
              > posted a trip report for the kayak club members. There were 14
              kayaks and
              > all had tents but me, so the report is not thick with hammock
              shots. But I
              > thought those on this list might like to check out what I'm doing
              with the
              > hammock down here. Maybe some will find the time to come and join
              us so I'll
              > have some other hammock hangers with which to share the joy.
              >
              > It was quite funny on the first day. As soon as we arrived I hung
              the
              > hammock but with the 15-20 mph winds I kept it in the snake skins
              until
              > evening when it quited down. As each person brought their chair
              over into
              > the shade where I was hanging to escape the heat of the beach (yes,
              life is
              > rough here in SW Florida) they all asked the same three questions?
              >
              > 1) Do you sleep in that? (I just balance on top of it. - which got
              me dirty
              > looks)
              > 2) Doesn't the swinging keep you awake? (No, it rocks me to sleep.
              But if I
              > want I can control that some with these elastic lines -[a HH].)
              > 3) Does it have a fly or anything to keep you dry if it rains?
              (Yes, I have
              > two tarps depending on conditions I will pitch one or both.)
              >
              > It was so predictable that when the fourth person arrived the first
              person
              > answered for me.
              >
              > Anyway, if you want to see a whole lot of kayaking pictures (84 in
              all) and
              > a few shots of my hammock, you can visit:
              >
              > http://picasaweb.google.com/parkscarey/WhitehorseKeyCamping
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Carey

            • Keith YOung
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
                Back in the '60's, my Dad had a yacht/boat. Somehow, he got to be buddies with an Air Force guy, who told him that the connecting lines to the arresting-parachute for SAC bombers were only used once.

                Dad asked, could he get some?

                About a couple of days later, half of our two-car garage was filled with heavy, thick MilSpec nylon rope (from two training landings). It took us about two more decades of hard use to use it all up or give it all away.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
                  hmmmm anyone seen anything suitable on Sportsman's Guide?

                  i'm going to write to treklight and suggest they carry suitable
                  ropes!! the hammock arrived yesterday!!

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Keith YOung <tory1942@...>