MuleKnot

  • tory1942
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2007
      Following up a post of some time ago, I went to the Mule Tape site
      www.muletape.com . At the end of the home page, there was a link to the
      MuleKnot. This looks to be a knot-version of a short splice. Ordinary
      bowlines and joinings reduce the strength of rope by up to 60%. I
      don't know about un-tying, but it would appear that the final two
      insertions of rope ends could be made with a loop, to allow a one
      strong pull un-tie.

      Getting short lengths of Muletape will be a challenge, though, as their
      minimum orders are for 3000'. Perhaps I can secure some surplus,
      somewhere. Test strengths of 900-1200 lbs. are in the middle of their
      polyester-tape range.

      Since I'm the 'Very Tall Guy' of recent posts, and thus--though in
      proportion--pretty heavy, I've been warned about the extreme stresses
      that I'll likely impose on conventional knots and ropes. Thus, I'm
      looking for alternatives to the conventional.
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2007
        Getting short lengths of Muletape will be a challenge, though, as their
        minimum orders are for 3000'. Perhaps I can secure some surplus,
        somewhere. Test strengths of 900-1200 lbs. are in the middle of their
        polyester-tape range.

        My brother is an industrial electrician, occasionally they have some short
        chunks. Ask around, mule tape is designed to pull heavy cables through
        conduits.

        You might also consider motorcycle tie down straps (without the hooks if you
        are concerned about weight). I would be suspicious about the cam locks etc
        without some testing.

        Warning: never test any hammock components while your wife is watching. You
        will be doomed to failure, and your pride as well as your backside will be
        smarting. :]

        Ralph Oborn

      • CC Wayah
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2007
          Warning: never test any hammock components while your wife is watching. You
          will be doomed to failure, and your pride as well as your backside will be
          smarting. :]

          Nor on a elevated porch even if it's slightly elavated where you think you
          cannot not get hurt.
          Rolling of was my down fall as it caught the edge of the porch and broke my
          finger.
          About eight week soff of work and surgery.
          Thank the Lord for short term disaility checks.
          CCWayah

          > Ralph Oborn

        • Chuck Haak
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
            Getting short lengths of Muletape will be a challenge.

            My brother is an industrial electrician.

            I'll echo the electrician tip. A friend of mine works for the local
            electrical utility and they use mule tape to pull wire. He says that they
            are only allowed to use it once, so they have miles of it laying around used
            only once. If you tell them you are hanging your body weight on it, they
            will probably decline to give you any. The stuff he gave me has a slick
            silicone treatment that I don't like. It makes me mistrust the knots I tie
            in it. I use it anyway and have (k)not had a failure.

            Chuck Haak

            .

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=8969804/grpspId=1705065843/msgId
            =16683/stime=1168120628/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

          • Carey Parks
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
              Hello all,

              I've just returned from three days kayaking (two nights in the hammock) and
              posted a trip report for the kayak club members. There were 14 kayaks and
              all had tents but me, so the report is not thick with hammock shots. But I
              thought those on this list might like to check out what I'm doing with the
              hammock down here. Maybe some will find the time to come and join us so I'll
              have some other hammock hangers with which to share the joy.

              It was quite funny on the first day. As soon as we arrived I hung the
              hammock but with the 15-20 mph winds I kept it in the snake skins until
              evening when it quited down. As each person brought their chair over into
              the shade where I was hanging to escape the heat of the beach (yes, life is
              rough here in SW Florida) they all asked the same three questions?

              1) Do you sleep in that? (I just balance on top of it. - which got me dirty
              looks)
              2) Doesn't the swinging keep you awake? (No, it rocks me to sleep. But if I
              want I can control that some with these elastic lines -[a HH].)
              3) Does it have a fly or anything to keep you dry if it rains? (Yes, I have
              two tarps depending on conditions I will pitch one or both.)

              It was so predictable that when the fourth person arrived the first person
              answered for me.

              Anyway, if you want to see a whole lot of kayaking pictures (84 in all) and
              a few shots of my hammock, you can visit:

              http://picasaweb.google.com/parkscarey/WhitehorseKeyCamping

              Cheers,

              Carey

            • Sandy Kramer
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
                enjoyed the pics... which kayak club is this? I belong to a few in
                the south florida area... i like camping on the beach and have also
                wondered if going back into the tree area to hang a hammock doesn't
                throw you right into the skeeter den?????

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>
                wrote:

                > Hello all,
                >
                > I've just returned from three days kayaking (two nights in the
                hammock) and
                > posted a trip report for the kayak club members. There were 14
                kayaks and
                > all had tents but me, so the report is not thick with hammock
                shots. But I
                > thought those on this list might like to check out what I'm doing
                with the
                > hammock down here. Maybe some will find the time to come and join
                us so I'll
                > have some other hammock hangers with which to share the joy.
                >
                > It was quite funny on the first day. As soon as we arrived I hung
                the
                > hammock but with the 15-20 mph winds I kept it in the snake skins
                until
                > evening when it quited down. As each person brought their chair
                over into
                > the shade where I was hanging to escape the heat of the beach (yes,
                life is
                > rough here in SW Florida) they all asked the same three questions?
                >
                > 1) Do you sleep in that? (I just balance on top of it. - which got
                me dirty
                > looks)
                > 2) Doesn't the swinging keep you awake? (No, it rocks me to sleep.
                But if I
                > want I can control that some with these elastic lines -[a HH].)
                > 3) Does it have a fly or anything to keep you dry if it rains?
                (Yes, I have
                > two tarps depending on conditions I will pitch one or both.)
                >
                > It was so predictable that when the fourth person arrived the first
                person
                > answered for me.
                >
                > Anyway, if you want to see a whole lot of kayaking pictures (84 in
                all) and
                > a few shots of my hammock, you can visit:
                >
                > http://picasaweb.google.com/parkscarey/WhitehorseKeyCamping
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Carey

              • Carey Parks
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
                  SWFLPC on Yahoo groups. (MangroveNavy is the camping sub-group.)

                  Glad you enjoyed it.

                  It does sorta put you a little closer to the bugs during some hours when the
                  beach is too sunny for them, but in the middle of the day with the sea
                  breeze blowing it's not a problem as shown by the beach campers visiting my
                  shade. Also they had to go into the woods to potty, so once you have your
                  deet or skin so soft or whatever on, it's not a big deal where you are. I
                  thought the location was a net gain over tenting on the beach. Many
                  complained about sand in their tents from the wind. Of course blowing sand
                  didn't get up high enough to enter my hammock.

                  wrote:

                  > Hello all,
                  >
                  > I've just returned from three days kayaking (two nights in the
                  hammock) and
                  > posted a trip report for the kayak club members. There were 14
                  kayaks and
                  > all had tents but me, so the report is not thick with hammock
                  shots. But I
                  > thought those on this list might like to check out what I'm doing
                  with the
                  > hammock down here. Maybe some will find the time to come and join
                  us so I'll
                  > have some other hammock hangers with which to share the joy.
                  >
                  > It was quite funny on the first day. As soon as we arrived I hung
                  the
                  > hammock but with the 15-20 mph winds I kept it in the snake skins
                  until
                  > evening when it quited down. As each person brought their chair
                  over into
                  > the shade where I was hanging to escape the heat of the beach (yes,
                  life is
                  > rough here in SW Florida) they all asked the same three questions?
                  >
                  > 1) Do you sleep in that? (I just balance on top of it. - which got
                  me dirty
                  > looks)
                  > 2) Doesn't the swinging keep you awake? (No, it rocks me to sleep.
                  But if I
                  > want I can control that some with these elastic lines -[a HH].)
                  > 3) Does it have a fly or anything to keep you dry if it rains?
                  (Yes, I have
                  > two tarps depending on conditions I will pitch one or both.)
                  >
                  > It was so predictable that when the fourth person arrived the first
                  person
                  > answered for me.
                  >
                  > Anyway, if you want to see a whole lot of kayaking pictures (84 in
                  all) and
                  > a few shots of my hammock, you can visit:
                  >
                  > http://picasaweb.google.com/parkscarey/WhitehorseKeyCamping
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Carey

                • Keith YOung
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
                    Back in the '60's, my Dad had a yacht/boat. Somehow, he got to be buddies with an Air Force guy, who told him that the connecting lines to the arresting-parachute for SAC bombers were only used once.

                    Dad asked, could he get some?

                    About a couple of days later, half of our two-car garage was filled with heavy, thick MilSpec nylon rope (from two training landings). It took us about two more decades of hard use to use it all up or give it all away.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
                      hmmmm anyone seen anything suitable on Sportsman's Guide?

                      i'm going to write to treklight and suggest they carry suitable
                      ropes!! the hammock arrived yesterday!!

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Keith YOung <tory1942@...>