Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Very tall man

  • Keith YOung
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
      Many thanks. I'll re-rig with higher test-strength lines, particularly for my weight.

      My doctor says I have to get my Body Mass Index down to the median value ... which is about 200 lbs. I haven't weighed that since entering high school, in 1957 ... at which time (looking at old photos) I looked like a McDonald's straw that swallowed a large marble.

      Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
      I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears, and
      bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope, and burned
      the ends to prevent un-raveling. I figured that doubling this rope on each
      end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near
      300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8"). Seems to work. I use the
      carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-hook on the end of the hammock.

      Keith, the way the trig works for the common angles of hanging the amount of
      tension on the rope is actually many times your weight. Even doubled up you
      are barely operating within the ropes safety margin.
      Both Yongblood and I put posted a spreadsheet to help you calculate actual
      tension.
      Also remember your weight is a static load, When getting in or out the
      forces are momentarily much higher.

      At a 30° sag angle the tension on EACH rope works out to be your weight!!!!

      At lower sag angles (tighter hammock) it will be much higher.

      Ralph

      PS YMMV hang low over soft ground

    • CC Wayah
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
        Very tall Man,
        Since weight isn't that much of an issue
        for your motorscooter,
        I'd go to an outfitter and buy CLIMBING
        roped/webbing. It's a bit heavy but is designed to be fail safe. Some test
        out at a 700 to 1,000 pounds. They also are designed not to stretch. But you
        will have to ask them which rope you need for your hammock hanging purposes.

        CCwayah
      • Brian Neeley
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
          Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears, and
          bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope,
          <snip>

          I figured that doubling this rope on each
          end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near
          300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8"). Seems to work. I use the
          carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-hook on the end of the hammock.

          .On

          One other thing to consider, ANY knot (or more specifically, bend) that you put in your rope will reduce its strength. A good old square knot reduces the breaking strength by HALF. A clove hitch is much better, reducing the strength by (I forget exactly), say 10 - 20%. Splices are great, only reducing strength by about 5%. But splices aren't easy, and they are permanent (but maybe that is what you want...).
          Basically, any time you bend your rope double, you halve your strength.
          So, like someone else said, buy harness strapping. That should be plenty strong enough; and then it's a simple matter to use some of the clips or buckles some people love so much.
          Sorry, I don't know anything about those buckles, I've never used 'em. I haven't even tied my hammock up since early in the spring :(.

          Brian

        • David Elliott
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 6, 2007
            If you use hollow-braid rope, splices are easily adjustable. They're also
            the easiest splices to make - you're just doubling the end back and running
            it through the center cavity of the rope for 6 inches or so and back out
            again. When there's tension on the splice it doesn't budge (like a Chinese
            finger trap), but when you take the tension off you can slide the rope
            either way, making the loop larger or smaller. I put the splice at least 6
            feet from the end of the rope and close to the end that attaches to the
            hammock. That way my end loop can be adjusted to short (3 inches) or long
            (3 feet) or anywhere in between. This is easily done after the hammock is
            put up as long as nobody is in it. Try it with cheap polypropylene rope
            first (make sure it's strong enough), but if you're like me and value
            compactness in addition to light weight you'll switch to spectra. Wakeboard
            rope (1500 lb.+ test?) is fine, but I recently got some Amsteel 7/64" rope
            (1200 lb. test) which packs up very small. One caveat: it is so thin that
            it doesn't look strong enough to hold you. I've had two humans and a dog in
            my hammock, but it took some persuading to get the second human in. You can
            make a splicing tool from a piece of stiff wire, doubled. Reach through the
            center of the rope and pull a loop of string through, then use the string to
            pull the rope back the other way.

            From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has
            it all. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline1
          • natesdenn71
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 6, 2007
              My hammock came with 6mm climbing rope. This has worked great! I
              also bought two sections of 1/2 inch tubular webbing each 12ft. long
              from a climbing shop to use a tree straps. I went with a lot of
              webbing to make sure I could tie up on MOST trees. I have pics of my
              set up on the group page under "Nates Hammock" I am also a big guy at
              6'2" 280lbs. My system has not shown any signs of failing (yet)!!
              Good luck!
            • Sandy Kramer
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                i ordered the double treklight...what is the recommended length of
                rope ... total to purchase?? (then cut in half)

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                  Hi, Sandy,

                  I bought a 50' package of 100# test polypropylene soft rope from Sears, then cut that length in half, seal/melting the ends with a flame.

                  However, look at the other posts on the topic of "very tall man." It seems that the strains on the lines is much more than I'd anticipated. Handing a hammock (indoors) with a sag of about 30 deg. seems best, but the strains on EACH rope are at least equal to my weight (a bit less than 300 lbs. -- which is in proportion to my height at 6' 8"). Figure out the strtains, based on your own weight. Look up Youngblood's chart, at the files part of this Yahoo Club.

                  I've doubled each rope, but am now looking at woven polyester strapping tape (possibly tubular), "MuleTape" or climber's rope, with a test strength of about 800 to 1200 lbs. range.

                  I don't have to pay quite so much attention to ultralight philosophy, since I'll be on my motor scooter (but, at 650cc's, it's a "fire-breathing, wolf-in-sheep's-clothing" scooter), and it will carry the weight for me. If the temperature drops down close to 50 deg F., it's a motel for sure.

                  Since I'm inside, and in the spare upstairs bedroom this winter, I've drilled out holes in 90-year-old red oak studs, put in screw-eyes with a twist bar and also placed a bunch of cushions and pillows under me, until I get this right.

                  Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                  i ordered the double treklight...what is the recommended length of
                  rope ... total to purchase?? (then cut in half)

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Keith YOung <tory1942@...> wrote:

                  > I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears,
                  and bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope,
                  and burned the ends to prevent un-raveling. I figured that doubling
                  this rope on each end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than
                  enough to cover my near 300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8").
                  Seems to work. I use the carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-
                  hook on the end of the hammock.

                • terry_and_pearl
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                    Polyester webbing works really great. Very little to no stretch and
                    doesn't abrade or absorb water like nylon. Don't get the real thick
                    stuff. Also, the polyester webbing works as your tree hugger as well
                    as the suspension. Form the webbing into a giant loop and girth hitch
                    to the tree with the free end hooked into the carabiner and then
                    tighten with a double ring buckle. In this manner you will have 2
                    lengths of webbing suspending the hammock from the tree, each with
                    half the load.

                    A double ring buckle works very good. As good as a cam buckle to
                    tighten. A little trickier to loosen, but once you learn the trick it
                    is easy and simple to loosen also. Also, the double ring buckle will
                    be a lot stronger than the cam buckle and won't have any abrasive
                    effect on the webbing like a cam buckle could.

                    I use 1,000 lb, 1" polyester webbing. These from Harbor Frieght:

                    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40063

                    work really great. Cut off the cam buckle and sew another loop in its
                    place with 2 rings in the loop.

                    I use the SMC descending rings. They're AL with a very high rated
                    capacity, light and cheap (about $2.50 each, you will need 4):

                    http://www.smcgear.net/products.asp?cat=5&pid=44

                    Using these, a double ring buckle will weigh only about 0.8 oz - good
                    even for those that watch their weight and the webbing is very light also.