Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Very tall man

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
      > lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near 300-lb weight (remembering
      that I'm
      > 6' 8").

      Hey! Who let the little guy in?

      Oh, and Ralph is right.

      Get better rope.

      Shane
    • Keith YOung
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
        Many thanks. I'll re-rig with higher test-strength lines, particularly for my weight.

        My doctor says I have to get my Body Mass Index down to the median value ... which is about 200 lbs. I haven't weighed that since entering high school, in 1957 ... at which time (looking at old photos) I looked like a McDonald's straw that swallowed a large marble.

        Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
        I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears, and
        bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope, and burned
        the ends to prevent un-raveling. I figured that doubling this rope on each
        end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near
        300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8"). Seems to work. I use the
        carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-hook on the end of the hammock.

        Keith, the way the trig works for the common angles of hanging the amount of
        tension on the rope is actually many times your weight. Even doubled up you
        are barely operating within the ropes safety margin.
        Both Yongblood and I put posted a spreadsheet to help you calculate actual
        tension.
        Also remember your weight is a static load, When getting in or out the
        forces are momentarily much higher.

        At a 30° sag angle the tension on EACH rope works out to be your weight!!!!

        At lower sag angles (tighter hammock) it will be much higher.

        Ralph

        PS YMMV hang low over soft ground

      • CC Wayah
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
          Very tall Man,
          Since weight isn't that much of an issue
          for your motorscooter,
          I'd go to an outfitter and buy CLIMBING
          roped/webbing. It's a bit heavy but is designed to be fail safe. Some test
          out at a 700 to 1,000 pounds. They also are designed not to stretch. But you
          will have to ask them which rope you need for your hammock hanging purposes.

          CCwayah
        • Brian Neeley
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
            Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears, and
            bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope,
            <snip>

            I figured that doubling this rope on each
            end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near
            300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8"). Seems to work. I use the
            carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-hook on the end of the hammock.

            .On

            One other thing to consider, ANY knot (or more specifically, bend) that you put in your rope will reduce its strength. A good old square knot reduces the breaking strength by HALF. A clove hitch is much better, reducing the strength by (I forget exactly), say 10 - 20%. Splices are great, only reducing strength by about 5%. But splices aren't easy, and they are permanent (but maybe that is what you want...).
            Basically, any time you bend your rope double, you halve your strength.
            So, like someone else said, buy harness strapping. That should be plenty strong enough; and then it's a simple matter to use some of the clips or buckles some people love so much.
            Sorry, I don't know anything about those buckles, I've never used 'em. I haven't even tied my hammock up since early in the spring :(.

            Brian

          • David Elliott
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 6, 2007
              If you use hollow-braid rope, splices are easily adjustable. They're also
              the easiest splices to make - you're just doubling the end back and running
              it through the center cavity of the rope for 6 inches or so and back out
              again. When there's tension on the splice it doesn't budge (like a Chinese
              finger trap), but when you take the tension off you can slide the rope
              either way, making the loop larger or smaller. I put the splice at least 6
              feet from the end of the rope and close to the end that attaches to the
              hammock. That way my end loop can be adjusted to short (3 inches) or long
              (3 feet) or anywhere in between. This is easily done after the hammock is
              put up as long as nobody is in it. Try it with cheap polypropylene rope
              first (make sure it's strong enough), but if you're like me and value
              compactness in addition to light weight you'll switch to spectra. Wakeboard
              rope (1500 lb.+ test?) is fine, but I recently got some Amsteel 7/64" rope
              (1200 lb. test) which packs up very small. One caveat: it is so thin that
              it doesn't look strong enough to hold you. I've had two humans and a dog in
              my hammock, but it took some persuading to get the second human in. You can
              make a splicing tool from a piece of stiff wire, doubled. Reach through the
              center of the rope and pull a loop of string through, then use the string to
              pull the rope back the other way.

              From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has
              it all. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline1
            • natesdenn71
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 6, 2007
                My hammock came with 6mm climbing rope. This has worked great! I
                also bought two sections of 1/2 inch tubular webbing each 12ft. long
                from a climbing shop to use a tree straps. I went with a lot of
                webbing to make sure I could tie up on MOST trees. I have pics of my
                set up on the group page under "Nates Hammock" I am also a big guy at
                6'2" 280lbs. My system has not shown any signs of failing (yet)!!
                Good luck!
              • Sandy Kramer
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                  i ordered the double treklight...what is the recommended length of
                  rope ... total to purchase?? (then cut in half)

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                    Hi, Sandy,

                    I bought a 50' package of 100# test polypropylene soft rope from Sears, then cut that length in half, seal/melting the ends with a flame.

                    However, look at the other posts on the topic of "very tall man." It seems that the strains on the lines is much more than I'd anticipated. Handing a hammock (indoors) with a sag of about 30 deg. seems best, but the strains on EACH rope are at least equal to my weight (a bit less than 300 lbs. -- which is in proportion to my height at 6' 8"). Figure out the strtains, based on your own weight. Look up Youngblood's chart, at the files part of this Yahoo Club.

                    I've doubled each rope, but am now looking at woven polyester strapping tape (possibly tubular), "MuleTape" or climber's rope, with a test strength of about 800 to 1200 lbs. range.

                    I don't have to pay quite so much attention to ultralight philosophy, since I'll be on my motor scooter (but, at 650cc's, it's a "fire-breathing, wolf-in-sheep's-clothing" scooter), and it will carry the weight for me. If the temperature drops down close to 50 deg F., it's a motel for sure.

                    Since I'm inside, and in the spare upstairs bedroom this winter, I've drilled out holes in 90-year-old red oak studs, put in screw-eyes with a twist bar and also placed a bunch of cushions and pillows under me, until I get this right.

                    Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                    i ordered the double treklight...what is the recommended length of
                    rope ... total to purchase?? (then cut in half)

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Keith YOung <tory1942@...> wrote:

                    > I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears,
                    and bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope,
                    and burned the ends to prevent un-raveling. I figured that doubling
                    this rope on each end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than
                    enough to cover my near 300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8").
                    Seems to work. I use the carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-
                    hook on the end of the hammock.

                  • terry_and_pearl
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                      Polyester webbing works really great. Very little to no stretch and
                      doesn't abrade or absorb water like nylon. Don't get the real thick
                      stuff. Also, the polyester webbing works as your tree hugger as well
                      as the suspension. Form the webbing into a giant loop and girth hitch
                      to the tree with the free end hooked into the carabiner and then
                      tighten with a double ring buckle. In this manner you will have 2
                      lengths of webbing suspending the hammock from the tree, each with
                      half the load.

                      A double ring buckle works very good. As good as a cam buckle to
                      tighten. A little trickier to loosen, but once you learn the trick it
                      is easy and simple to loosen also. Also, the double ring buckle will
                      be a lot stronger than the cam buckle and won't have any abrasive
                      effect on the webbing like a cam buckle could.

                      I use 1,000 lb, 1" polyester webbing. These from Harbor Frieght:

                      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40063

                      work really great. Cut off the cam buckle and sew another loop in its
                      place with 2 rings in the loop.

                      I use the SMC descending rings. They're AL with a very high rated
                      capacity, light and cheap (about $2.50 each, you will need 4):

                      http://www.smcgear.net/products.asp?cat=5&pid=44

                      Using these, a double ring buckle will weigh only about 0.8 oz - good
                      even for those that watch their weight and the webbing is very light also.