Re: Very tall man

  • jack_tier
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tory1942" <tory1942@...> wrote:

      > I am a 65 y/o man, expecting to do some motor-scooter based 3-season
      > camping (mid-spring thru mid-fall). I just bought a TreckLite
      > hammock. However, I am 6' 8", about 280 lbs., with size 14 feet. I
      > live in Philadelphia, PA, plan to travel in an approximagte 300-mile
      > radius, and don't plan to camp in the snow or ice. Which brands of
      > sleeping bags or quilts should I look for, to accomodate my size and
      > body mass?

      You might want to take a look at the JRB Mt Rogers quilt...it will work
      as a TQ or UQ for a person of your size in a hammock.

      Pan
    • Keith YOung
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
        Along with the TreckLight hammock (now strung in my spare upstairs bedroom), I bought two of the carabiners. They were as advertised, light and strong. I expect to use them next mid-spring thru mid-fall, on my motor scooter trips (when the motel doesn't beckon too hard, that is).

        I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears, and bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope, and burned the ends to prevent un-raveling. I figured that doubling this rope on each end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near 300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8"). Seems to work. I use the carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-hook on the end of the hammock.

        David Elliott <delliott78@...> wrote:
        Hey. I looked at the Treklight site, and what looked interesting was the
        lightweight carabiners (lighter and cheaper than climbing carabiners, but
        stronger than cheap "mini-biners"). Does anyone know if they are as
        advertised? I use spectra line and learned once that a bowline will snug
        down so tight with that slippery stuff that it takes a leatherman to untie
        it. Since then I've discovered that I can use hollow-braided line with
        adjustable splices. It makes for very easy set-up and take-down if I use
        carabiners to connect the spectra loops to tree-huggers. I'm looking for a
        good source for medium-weight, medium strength, medium priced carabiners.

        Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
          I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears, and
          bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope, and burned
          the ends to prevent un-raveling. I figured that doubling this rope on each
          end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near
          300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8"). Seems to work. I use the
          carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-hook on the end of the hammock.

          Keith, the way the trig works for the common angles of hanging the amount of
          tension on the rope is actually many times your weight. Even doubled up you
          are barely operating within the ropes safety margin.
          Both Yongblood and I put posted a spreadsheet to help you calculate actual
          tension.
          Also remember your weight is a static load, When getting in or out the
          forces are momentarily much higher.

          At a 30° sag angle the tension on EACH rope works out to be your weight!!!!

          At lower sag angles (tighter hammock) it will be much higher.

          Ralph

          PS YMMV hang low over soft ground

        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
            > lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near 300-lb weight (remembering
            that I'm
            > 6' 8").

            Hey! Who let the little guy in?

            Oh, and Ralph is right.

            Get better rope.

            Shane
          • Keith YOung

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
                Very tall Man,
                Since weight isn't that much of an issue
                for your motorscooter,
                I'd go to an outfitter and buy CLIMBING
                roped/webbing. It's a bit heavy but is designed to be fail safe. Some test
                out at a 700 to 1,000 pounds. They also are designed not to stretch. But you
                will have to ask them which rope you need for your hammock hanging purposes.

                CCwayah
              • Brian Neeley
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
                  Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears, and
                  bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope,
                  <snip>

                  I figured that doubling this rope on each
                  end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near
                  300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8"). Seems to work. I use the
                  carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-hook on the end of the hammock.

                  .On

                  One other thing to consider, ANY knot (or more specifically, bend) that you put in your rope will reduce its strength. A good old square knot reduces the breaking strength by HALF. A clove hitch is much better, reducing the strength by (I forget exactly), say 10 - 20%. Splices are great, only reducing strength by about 5%. But splices aren't easy, and they are permanent (but maybe that is what you want...).
                  Basically, any time you bend your rope double, you halve your strength.
                  So, like someone else said, buy harness strapping. That should be plenty strong enough; and then it's a simple matter to use some of the clips or buckles some people love so much.
                  Sorry, I don't know anything about those buckles, I've never used 'em. I haven't even tied my hammock up since early in the spring :(.

                  Brian

                • David Elliott
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 6, 2007
                    If you use hollow-braid rope, splices are easily adjustable. They're also
                    the easiest splices to make - you're just doubling the end back and running
                    it through the center cavity of the rope for 6 inches or so and back out
                    again. When there's tension on the splice it doesn't budge (like a Chinese
                    finger trap), but when you take the tension off you can slide the rope
                    either way, making the loop larger or smaller. I put the splice at least 6
                    feet from the end of the rope and close to the end that attaches to the
                    hammock. That way my end loop can be adjusted to short (3 inches) or long
                    (3 feet) or anywhere in between. This is easily done after the hammock is
                    put up as long as nobody is in it. Try it with cheap polypropylene rope
                    first (make sure it's strong enough), but if you're like me and value
                    compactness in addition to light weight you'll switch to spectra. Wakeboard
                    rope (1500 lb.+ test?) is fine, but I recently got some Amsteel 7/64" rope
                    (1200 lb. test) which packs up very small. One caveat: it is so thin that
                    it doesn't look strong enough to hold you. I've had two humans and a dog in
                    my hammock, but it took some persuading to get the second human in. You can
                    make a splicing tool from a piece of stiff wire, doubled. Reach through the
                    center of the rope and pull a loop of string through, then use the string to
                    pull the rope back the other way.

                    From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has
                    it all. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline1
                  • natesdenn71
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 6, 2007
                      My hammock came with 6mm climbing rope. This has worked great! I
                      also bought two sections of 1/2 inch tubular webbing each 12ft. long
                      from a climbing shop to use a tree straps. I went with a lot of
                      webbing to make sure I could tie up on MOST trees. I have pics of my
                      set up on the group page under "Nates Hammock" I am also a big guy at
                      6'2" 280lbs. My system has not shown any signs of failing (yet)!!
                      Good luck!
                    • Sandy Kramer
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                        i ordered the double treklight...what is the recommended length of
                        rope ... total to purchase?? (then cut in half)

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                          Hi, Sandy,

                          I bought a 50' package of 100# test polypropylene soft rope from Sears, then cut that length in half, seal/melting the ends with a flame.

                          However, look at the other posts on the topic of "very tall man." It seems that the strains on the lines is much more than I'd anticipated. Handing a hammock (indoors) with a sag of about 30 deg. seems best, but the strains on EACH rope are at least equal to my weight (a bit less than 300 lbs. -- which is in proportion to my height at 6' 8"). Figure out the strtains, based on your own weight. Look up Youngblood's chart, at the files part of this Yahoo Club.

                          I've doubled each rope, but am now looking at woven polyester strapping tape (possibly tubular), "MuleTape" or climber's rope, with a test strength of about 800 to 1200 lbs. range.

                          I don't have to pay quite so much attention to ultralight philosophy, since I'll be on my motor scooter (but, at 650cc's, it's a "fire-breathing, wolf-in-sheep's-clothing" scooter), and it will carry the weight for me. If the temperature drops down close to 50 deg F., it's a motel for sure.

                          Since I'm inside, and in the spare upstairs bedroom this winter, I've drilled out holes in 90-year-old red oak studs, put in screw-eyes with a twist bar and also placed a bunch of cushions and pillows under me, until I get this right.

                          Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                          i ordered the double treklight...what is the recommended length of
                          rope ... total to purchase?? (then cut in half)

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Keith YOung <tory1942@...> wrote:

                          > I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears,
                          and bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope,
                          and burned the ends to prevent un-raveling. I figured that doubling
                          this rope on each end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than
                          enough to cover my near 300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8").
                          Seems to work. I use the carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-
                          hook on the end of the hammock.

                        • terry_and_pearl
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                            Polyester webbing works really great. Very little to no stretch and
                            doesn't abrade or absorb water like nylon. Don't get the real thick
                            stuff. Also, the polyester webbing works as your tree hugger as well
                            as the suspension. Form the webbing into a giant loop and girth hitch
                            to the tree with the free end hooked into the carabiner and then
                            tighten with a double ring buckle. In this manner you will have 2
                            lengths of webbing suspending the hammock from the tree, each with
                            half the load.

                            A double ring buckle works very good. As good as a cam buckle to
                            tighten. A little trickier to loosen, but once you learn the trick it
                            is easy and simple to loosen also. Also, the double ring buckle will
                            be a lot stronger than the cam buckle and won't have any abrasive
                            effect on the webbing like a cam buckle could.

                            I use 1,000 lb, 1" polyester webbing. These from Harbor Frieght:

                            http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40063

                            work really great. Cut off the cam buckle and sew another loop in its
                            place with 2 rings in the loop.

                            I use the SMC descending rings. They're AL with a very high rated
                            capacity, light and cheap (about $2.50 each, you will need 4):

                            http://www.smcgear.net/products.asp?cat=5&pid=44

                            Using these, a double ring buckle will weigh only about 0.8 oz - good
                            even for those that watch their weight and the webbing is very light also.