Packing up in the rain

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 4 7:20 PM
      I just finished Ed's June Newsletter. Great reading.

      I especially enjoyed finding the reference to JR (Model T) Tate's new
      web site. I stopped there to sign his guest book.

      When I read of the convenience of hammock camping I ran into Ed's
      Bullet:

      - Make or break camp in the rain without the hassle of tents or tarps

      On my AT section hike, this was very useful. I ended up hanging my
      food bag from a mouse keeper in the shelter the last two nights. (It
      is an ursack, so no self respecting mouse should have been able to
      get into it anyway.) I kept my pack on the ground right under the
      hammock. This kept it dry during two nights of mist and the final
      night of rain.

      The last morning, during the rain, I was able to just sit in the
      hammock under the tarp and pack up.

      - I stuffed my quilt in it's stuff sack and laid it on the ground.
      - I got the food sack and laid it next to the quilt
      - I pulled the ditty bag, the FroggTogg stuff sack, the polartec
      sweater bag, and the cookpot bag, out of the pack and set them next
      to the other bags.
      - Out from the double bottom hammock came the Target Blue Pad.
      Rolled it went inside the plastic garbage bag (heavy duty clear
      industrial bag) and then both went inside the rucksack as a frame.
      - I pulled out the ziplocks for breakfast, lunch, GORP and dinner and
      put them in an outside pocket.
      - Foodbag went in the bottom of the pack. Then the quilt. The other
      small bags were stuffed in so the soft parts were toward my back.
      - Next, I slid the hammock tubes over the hammock, untied the hammock
      from the trees and stuffed the hammock into its waterproof stuff
      sack. (The webbing is often wet.) the hammock stuff sack slides into
      the pack as well.
      - Umbrella is laid, open, on top of the pack.
      - Finally, the stakes from the tarp go into their little sack and it
      goes in an outside pocket; and the tarp is stuffed into its
      waterproof sack which goes into the pack.

      All this takes almost 10 minutes, eight of which are spent sitting in
      the hammock. Then the 15-18 pound pack goes on my back, the umbrella
      goes over my head, and I am off down the trail for a date with
      breakfast in an hour or two.

      Rick
    • robi dawson
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 5 5:30 AM
        Dear Everybody,

        With Ed's kind permission i have decided to turn to this list for help.

        To being with let me re-post here what i had sent to Ed privately:

        I was at teh school today and told the teachers invovled in the camping
        project about your offer to donate yoru book.
        They asked me to express their gratitude. I was showered with hugs and
        kisses and am now passing them on to you!
        I look forward to reading your book and sumarizing it into Hungarian for
        those teachers that do not knwo enough eng to read it.
        An 8th grader overheard us and was extatic. in Waldorf shcools 8th graders
        have to present a final project at the end of the year. His was on survival
        camping. He had never, ever been camping or even hiking on his own. Yet
        over the course of the academic year he took several hikes, even in the
        midst of winter and camped out. One conclusion he came to was that ppl are
        far too concerned with the creature comforts of the 21 century and hence
        over pack when camping.
        His biggest beef was carrying a tent and setting it up each night. The idea
        of hammock camping enthralled him.

        He will be the driving force when i set up the courses i have planned for
        next year.

        Below is the current post:

        I am in the process of setting up camping trips/courses for kids at the
        local Waldorf/Steiner school.
        I will be taking as many of the kids out into the hills hiking and camping,
        as well as canoeing - though I have little experience on water, but i will
        be learning a lot before i dare take kids out.

        I also have been teaching blind ppl english and come to realize that there
        are next to no adaptive sports programs here. So i decided to change that
        since one of the blind students is very athletic. I took him skiing, i
        organized an instructor for him and he loved it. Then i helped him get into
        rock/wall climbing.

        Now several Hungarian blind ppl have expressed interest in skiing,
        climbing, hiking, canoeing etc etc etc. basically anything sport
        related/outdoors related as long i do not feel sorry for them and simply
        help them.

        I would now like to mix the two ideas.. ie my blind students and the
        Waldorf kids. Let both groups get to know each other and take both hiking,
        skiing, camping, both summer and winter.

        The best way for each group to understand the other is through contact and
        cooperation.

        I have not been able to procure any governmental grants/aid/subsidies so i
        will have to turn to other sources.
        Nor have the two sporting goods producers here in Hungary shown any
        willingness to assist me... profit seems king and Samaritan work often not
        understood here.

        Hence this post. I would like to know if anybody out there could help with
        donations? I am not interested in collecting money. What i am looking for
        most is materials for making hammocks/tarps with the school kids, old
        unused tarps or hammocks would also be appreciated as they would be a great
        way of getting the kids started.

        If anybody out there would like to contribute anything, please contact
        me. I understand many of you may not like to read this or to follow what
        goes on with my project therefore I assume all replies would be better to
        my private email and not through the list.

        Again, Ed, thank you for the book and the chance to ask this forum for help.

        Sincerely

        Rob Dawson
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 8 2:55 PM
          Message
          Hi Rob

          I've just returned from a 4 day hike and found your post asking for donations.  It read well--as we discussed already via email, I feel that your projects to help some school kids and blind folks in Hungary are quite admirable and thank you for giving me and the Hammock Camping List the chance to be a significant part.  While we would not be open to most requests for help, your projects involve camping hammocks and that makes them special.  Your interest in hammocks and willingness to teach others to make & use them makes you special as well.

          I feel that donating to your projects is a proper undertaking for me and probably others of this List.  I've already discussed this with several list members and they eagerally agree.  I've already secured the promise of one home-made hammock and several pieces of fabric useful for making hammocks!  Anyone else who would like to donate to Rob's projects can do so by sending the items directly to him; or they can send items to Speer Hammocks and I will see that they get to Rob.  Many folks on the List have mentioned owning more than one hammock--why not donate those unused ones to help kids in Hungary go camping!  Any hammock will do--it dosen't have to be a Speer or Hennessey. Many of us also have several versions of home-made hammocks--again the unused ones would make excellent donations.  In addition, Rob has asked for fabrics to make hammocks since his intention is to teach the kids to make their own--individual pieces of nylon fabric, bugnet, or silnylon would make equally nice donations.  One person has already offered to donate suitable nylon fabric from a Wal-Mart $1/yd table!

          Thanks again Rob.  I hope you will keep the List fully informed of your progress...Ed

          Again, donations can be sent to:  Speer Hammocks  34 Clear Creek Road, Marion, NC 28752

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 9 7:39 PM
            Robi, Speer Hammocks has already begun collecting some items for your
            worthy projects! So far, the following are promissed and/or packed:

            1 Book--Hammock Camping (on it's way to you already)
            1 Home-made hammock w/ bug net; no rain canopy
            1 Home-made hammock; bright orange, no bug net or rain canopy
            4 pieces of bug net material suitable for making 3 bug nets
            3 pieces of 1.9 oz/yd2 ripstop suitable for making 3 kids' hammocks
            1" webbing straps, misc cutoffs suitable for making two 12' hanging
            straps

            This is just the start Robi, but it's a pretty good one--we expect to
            hear from others very soon! Sorry all the measurments are in English
            units, not metric--how the US continues to get along without the
            metric system is beyond me; but that's the way it is over here.

            Remember, anyone else wishing to donate hammocks or items suitable
            for making hammocks, can send them to Robi in Hungary or to us and we
            will see that they get to Robi.

            Many of us who are making our own hammocks may have some early
            prototypes that are just gathering dust--here's an excellent chance
            to find a good home for them! Others may be willing to donate
            purchased, but no longer used hammocks (any brand). Since Robi
            intends to teach the kids to also make their own hammocks as a class
            project, suitable hammock materials are also being accepted.

            Below is a partial list of suitable or suggested donations:

            *Old or unused hammocks, bug nets, rain canopies
            *Bottom nylon fabrics suitable for making hammocks (1.9 breathable
            ripstop, Supplex, Cordura, etc)
            *Velcro, 3/4", (up to 18' ea hook & loop ea hammock)
            *1" polypropylene webbing, +600lb strength (2 @ 12' ea hammock)
            *Bug Net, No-See-Um polyester mesh (24"X9' ea hammock)
            *Rain Canopy, 1.1 silnylon ripstop, (8'X10' ea tarp)
            *Ridgeline, 1/16" Sprectra Pulse Line or equivalent (18' ea hammock)
            *Guidelines, 1/16" Sprectra Pulse Line or equivalent (60' ea tarp)
            *Grosgrain ribbon, 1" (for pull tabs on rain canopy) (24-28" ea tarp)
            *D Rings, 1", plastic (2 ea hammock)

            This of course assumes that Robi's kids will make hammocks based on
            the Speer design as suggested in the book; however many substitutions
            for the above items are possible. For instance, many suitable bottom
            fabrics exist, so they don't have to be the special 1.9 ripstop
            suggested in the book. Remember that a suitable hammock fabric only
            needs to be 4 feet longer than the user (2' for end knots + 2' for
            comfort)--thus the 8th graders should be able to make suitable
            hammocks out of fabric pieces 7-9' long. However, some of Robi's
            blind friends are probably taller and may need fabrics up to 11.5'
            long.

            We'll keep the donation list up to date and occassionally post it on
            the list. Thanks to everyone who has donated or plans to do so....Ed

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 9 8:31 PM
              Message
              Sounds like you've got the procedure down pat Rick; the ability to make or break camp under the tarp simply can't be beat.  This weekend, I was out in a 20-hr downpour--started 30 mins after setting up camp and rained hard all night. Saturday am, I broke camp in a solid rain, but my 8X10 tarp saved the day! It was the last thing to come down and was stuffed in an outside pack pocket where it was ready to be the first thing up when making camp the next time.  A few minutes after hitting the trail in the pouring rain Sat am, I passed a couple camped in a tent.  Their tent was sitting in the midst of a 10' wide puddle of standing water 2" deep--everything inside was soaked and they were angrily trying to pack up to go home; their weekend hike ruined after the first night!  When I packed up only a few minutes earlier, the only thing I left behind was a large dry spot on the hill side where I had camped!  Did I say how much I love my hammock and 8X10 tarp!  BTY, I also hike w/ an umbrella.  I walked all day Sat in the rain and stayed dry--except for those waist-deep creek crossings!  The flooding forced me off the trail after only 4 of about 14 anticipated creek crossings--managed to find a 5 mile detour and avoided the rest of the crossings ending my 50 mile hike a day early.  Did I mention cooking dinner while lying in my hammock under the tarp Friday nite?   ....Ed

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 10 5:56 AM
                Ed,  How does one cook dinner while in a Hammock?  That seems impossible.  What is your secret?

                JackW
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 10 6:45 AM
                  JackW,

                  This is the way it is usually done... much like cooking in a
                  vestibule of a tent when still in a sleeping bag. It is sometimes
                  nice to have some hot coffee before getting out of the sleeping bag!

                  -lay down in the hammock
                  -stove is on ground
                  --under tarp
                  --not under hammock
                  --within reach of hammock
                  -turn on stove
                  -cook

                  This is much easier if one sets it up the night before.
                  It does not work with a twig fired stove like mine.

                  OK Guys, I searched around a bit. I have seen Shane or Ed or SGTRock
                  or someone with a picture of this being done.

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 10 8:12 AM
                    Message
                    Jack, cooking from my hammock is actually quite easy.  It's an open top-entry hammock, so with it pitched close to the ground I can easily lie in it on my side, move my torso to one side and reach out with both arms to cook on the ground!  It's the height of camp luxury!  After a long day of rough hiking, it's pure heaven.  Of course, one could also sit in the hammock sideways with both feet on the ground and bend over to cook. Either way is far more comfortable than sitting on the ground, log, or rock. Of course, my large 8X10 tarp provides plenty of dry protection with room for the hammock, pack, cook stove and 'kitchen area'  ....Ed

                    Ed,  How does one cook dinner while in a Hammock?  That seems impossible.  What is your secret?

                    JackW

                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 10 11:09 PM
                      > This is the way it is usually done...
                      > -lay down in the hammock
                      > -stove is on ground
                      > -turn on stove
                      > -cook
                      >
                      > This is much easier if one sets it up the night before.
                      > It does not work with a twig fired stove like mine.

                      Actually, it does work with a ZIP if you have set it up right the night
                      before. In reality, though, I've given up trying to cook from my sleeping
                      bag...

                      > OK Guys, I searched around a bit. I have seen Shane or Ed
                      > or SGTRock or someone with a picture of this being done.

                      Wasn't me... I haven't gotten that far.

                      Shane
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 24 7:39 AM
                        Remember everyone--We're collecting hammokcs &/or materials for
                        making hammocks to send to Robi in Hungary so he can make hammocks
                        for his adopted school kids as well as some blind folks he's planning
                        to introduce to hammock camping (see message 1702 for list of needed
                        items). This is a worthy undertaking by Robi and members of this
                        list can help by donating their unused hammocks &/or left over
                        fabrics/materials. Imagine helping elementary school kids make
                        their own hammocks for their first camping trip! Or being a part of
                        the effort to get blind folks out into the woods for their first
                        campout! Robi has volunteered his help--all we need to do is donate
                        hammocks (any brand or model) or materials. Donations can be sent to
                        us at Speer Hammocks and we will see that they are shipped to
                        Hungary. Robi has promissed to keep us informed of his progress.
                        Thanks for your support....Ed

                        wrote:
> [...]
                        >
                        > Hence this post. I would like to know if anybody out there could
                        help with
                        > donations? I am not interested in collecting money. What i am
                        looking for
                        > most is materials for making hammocks/tarps with the school kids,
                        old
                        > unused tarps or hammocks would also be appreciated as they would be
                        a great
                        > way of getting the kids started.
                        >
                        > If anybody out there would like to contribute anything, please
                        contact
                        > me. I understand many of you may not like to read this or to
                        follow what
                        > goes on with my project therefore I assume all replies would be
                        better to
                        > my private email and not through the list.
                        >
                        > Again, Ed, thank you for the book and the chance to ask this forum

                      • robi dawson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 24 8:35 AM
                          Ed thanks for the help!

                          i figured i would fill in the folks on the list as to how things stand so far.

                          I will be brief so as not to bore you all.

                          I was on a 4 day camp out with my sons and the youngest's kindergarten and told all the grumpy sore ppl in the morning about hammock camping.

                          As you can imagine, many were weary, but i told them about what i have learned here and on the Net. convinced most of them that it is worth a try.

                          The kindergarten teachers were enthralled with the idea and flabbergasted when i told them that several of you have promised donations! and they cannot wait to try hammocking.

                          to top off the great camp out off i and Aron, my eldest son, age 10. baked pizza i na brick oven for 80 ppl. We had never even used a brick oven before. what a blast! nothing like feeding a group of ppl and seeing them happy.

                          The trip ended with a decision to have a kindergarten opening camp out in september. i get to make pizzas again and show off hammocks!~

                          Got home to find Ed's book waiting for me! Thanks ED! i mentioned it to the kindergarten teachers and school teachers and they called me in to show them. I ended up translating sections on the fly... they loved it and cannot wait...

                          since then i have had several teachers ask when they can try the hammocks out. Turns out the school is strapped for money and was considering leaving out class outings because they cannot afford lodging. I convinced them camping is a viable solution and they want to use hammocks.... this means a week long bike tour for one class, a week long canoe trip for an other and several shorter 3-4 day camp outs for lower grades (1-3).

                          My blind students are whipped up too.. i may end up taking one on a bike/canoe tour for a few days. we are trying to arrange for a free tandem bike. if no bike,then we will hike and canoe.

                          well, this is very long winded. i will leave you all now and thank you in advance for your help.

                          I can hardly wait to get the material/hammocks.

                          Robi
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 24 9:39 AM
                            Message
                            Thanks for the update Robi.  I too love to get people involved in hammock camping. Their excitement is very rewarding, so I think I know how you feel.  Your school projects sound quite interesting--you are a brave man to offer to bake pizza for 80 hungry kids!   .....Ed

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                              Robi, I've collected numerous items that should be useful for your
                              hammock making projects. Includes 2 hammocks, various pieces of
                              hammock fabrics, bug net, webbing, etc. suitable for making
                              hammocks. Will mail them off on Monday. All the best....Ed

                              wrote:
> [...]
                              >
                              > Hence this post. I would like to know if anybody out there could
                              help with
                              > donations? I am not interested in collecting money. What i am
                              looking for
                              > most is materials for making hammocks/tarps with the school kids,
                              old
                              > unused tarps or hammocks would also be appreciated as they would be
                              a great
                              > way of getting the kids started.
                              >
                              > If anybody out there would like to contribute anything, please
                              contact
                              > me. I understand many of you may not like to read this or to
                              follow what
                              > goes on with my project therefore I assume all replies would be
                              better to
                              > my private email and not through the list.
                              >
                              > Again, Ed, thank you for the book and the chance to ask this forum

                            • robi dawson
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                Dear Ed,

                                Thanks....

                                I will send an update/trip report of our first hammock outing in just a few minutes.

                                Robi

                                wrote:
> [...]
                                >
                                > Hence this post. I would like to know if anybody out there could
                                help with
                                > donations? I am not interested in collecting money. What i am
                                looking for
                                > most is materials for making hammocks/tarps with the school kids,
                                old
                                > unused tarps or hammocks would also be appreciated as they would be
                                a great
                                > way of getting the kids started.
                                >
                                > If anybody out there would like to contribute anything, please
                                contact
                                > me.  I understand many of you may not like to read this or to
                                follow what
                                > goes on with my project therefore I assume all replies would be
                                better to
                                > my private email and not through the list.
                                >
                                > Again, Ed, thank you for the book and the chance to ask this forum

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                873ab9.jpg
                                873b62.jpg

                              • robi dawson
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                  hi everybody.

                                  so seems like several ppl like the fuggoagy term. i will look around the
                                  Net for ways to indicate pronunciation - like those used in dictionaries.
                                  Anybody know of a place for such stuff? then you can all learn to pronounce
                                  it properly.

                                  Back to the main issue, update.

                                  I finished my hammock as you all know but was unable to make a fly... the
                                  family and I went to a week long camp out. i took the fly material, still
                                  in one piece just in case.

                                  I set up my hammock behind all the tents in a nice shady spot - was hotter
                                  than heck when we arrived and the shade came in handy.

                                  Aaron was sad because he wanted a hammock too. Well, we made one on the
                                  spot. I took the fly material made an over hand knot at one end and then
                                  made one at about the right spot for a hammock. I used some 4 mm rope to
                                  attach to the tree.

                                  i set up Aron's *hammock* next to me. we used 3 trees and then put up a
                                  plastic fly that we borrowed.

                                  We got all kinds of crazy looks from those in our party and amazingly most
                                  Hungarians wanted to know how we would stay warm. Only one person was
                                  interested in turning over at night or sleeping on her belly. Guess all
                                  that physics they learn here in school makes them aware of heat and air
                                  circulation and stuff....

                                  Anyway. Aron and i slept, well we slept like you all do, soundly!

                                  Day two brought torrential down pours. most tents flooded! we had a good 2
                                  inches of water under us be did not have to worry at all about being wet!
                                  We helped others bail out tents retie guidelines etc. That night we slept
                                  great while everybody else was worried about getting wet again.

                                  by the third or fourth day news had spread around the camp about our
                                  hammocks. nearly all 130 ppl stopped by for a visit or a question. They
                                  were a hit!

                                  I had to spend the last two nights in a tent to let some kids in our group
                                  try the hammock. They both have asked me to make them hammocks for the next
                                  birthday!

                                  Aron, his sister and brother have decided never to use a tent again. Eva,
                                  my wife, did not try it yet, but she will and then we can get rid of our
                                  bed!!!!!

                                  Robi

                                  ps. one lady there takes her special education classes camping every year
                                  and is convinced that hammocking will be much better for them. she saw all
                                  the plusses and was not worried about being cold or anything else...

                                  turns out she knows some of my blinds students. WE are planning a trip
                                  together next summer, me her 15-20 spec. ed kids and hammocks. i can hardly
                                  wait!
                                • robi dawson
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                    Out of curiosity how do you pack your hammocks up when breaking camp?

                                    I stood there yestarday trying to take the darn things down andnot let them
                                    touch the wet ground.

                                    The only way i could do it was to untie one end, and fold/roll up the
                                    hammock all the way to the other end and untie that. Worked ok but made for
                                    a bulky package...

                                    robi
                                  • J Cornelius
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003

                                      Snakeskins for the HH

                                      Jodi

                                      Abnormality IS the normality at this locality.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                        Message
                                        Robi, as usual your updates are a blast!  Glad to hear your adventures continue well.  Making Aron's hammock on the spot was a stroke of genius.

                                        Kids and hammocks are a natural aren't they!  Kids are always ready for bed if they know they are sleeping in a hammock--great way to take them camping!  You were very gracious to give up your hammock for two nights!

                                        I recently had the same experience as you--during an all-night downpour--tents were flooded the next morning, but I was perfectly dry!  Hammocks rule the rain!

                                        I've mailed a package to you with the donated items so far--2 hammocks; fabric to make about 7 more, plus various other items.  No rain canopy fabric is included--maybe some with be donated later; so I suggest you try using plastic sheeting instead.  Expect the package in a few weeks.  Again, all the best with your worthy projects...Ed

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                          Message
                                          I do the same thing Robi--then I stuff the whole rig into the bottom of my pack (no stuff sack); the tarp goes into an outside pack pocket where it's wetness will not bother anything and it's ready for quick setup at the next camp .  I even leave my PeaPod around the hammock and leave the Top Blanket inside!  This does make a bulky bundle, but once stuffed to the bottom of my pack and covered with the remaining pack items, it compresses quite well.  This is fast and saves the hassle of stuffing everything into separate carry sacks; however, if bulk is a problem, I will use stuff sacks.  If the hanging straps are very wet, I will put them into a plastic zip-lock bag; most of the time I don't bother since the wetness is generally not enough to worry about...Ed

[...]

                                            12366fb.jpg
                                            123692d.jpg

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                              Robi,

                                              I use a seperate stuff sack for my hammock and rain fly. I find that
                                              I like roomy stuff sacks because they are easier to stuff. I don't
                                              worry about the bulky package because that gets compressed when I
                                              load my pack, in fact, it allows them to take whatever shape is
                                              needed inside the pack and actually makes packing easier. This roomy
                                              stuff sack makes it easy and quick to stuff the hammock with its
                                              straps without the hammock body reaching the wet ground. I start by
                                              rolling the first free end of strap around my hand and then inserting
                                              that into the stuff sack, followed by stuffing a foot or so of the
                                              hammock fabric at a time until it is in the stuff sack and then I
                                              simply un-tie and roll the last hammock strap around my hand and then
                                              insert it into the stuff sack.

                                              I use a similar procedure with my rain fly, except that I kind of
                                              roll a pair of pull-out cords together and insert them so that they
                                              are isolated by the rain fly material from the other pairs of pull-
                                              out cords...this reduces the tangling of the cords and makes
                                              everything come out of the stuff sacks neat and orderly. I can tie
                                              to the first tree with just the line/strap that is needed while
                                              everthing else is still in its stuff sack. Of course, sometimes I
                                              need three hands to do this, but I have been able to make it work by
                                              holding the stuff sack between my arm and body or sometimes I have to
                                              let the stuff sack dangle in the air or rest on the ground until I
                                              get where two hands can take care of everything. But, in any case,
                                              it works well for me and I am able to keep the hammock fabic and rain
                                              fly off the ground.

                                              Youngblood

                                              wrote:
                                              > Out of curiosity how do you pack your hammocks up when breaking
                                              camp?

                                              > I stood there yestarday trying to take the darn things down andnot
                                              let them
                                              > touch the wet ground.
                                              >
                                              > The only way i could do it was to untie one end, and fold/roll up
                                              the
                                              > hammock all the way to the other end and untie that. Worked ok but
                                              made for
                                              > a bulky package...
                                              >
                                              > robi
                                            • Risk
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                                Robi,

                                                I took two strips of waterproof material (I used silnylon) 15 cm x
                                                1.5 m and sewed each of them into a long tube with a single line of
                                                stitching on each. While they were still inside out, I threaded one
                                                onto each support webbing strap and attached it near the hammock knot
                                                with a tight plastic zip tie. Now I can pull the "hammock tube" over
                                                the knot and half the hammock and the tube will be right side out. I
                                                do the same at the other end, and the two tubes overlap.

                                                This is similar to the way parachutes are packed in ejection seats,
                                                and may be similar to the Snakeskins(R) made by Tom Hennessey. Other
                                                than pictures on the net, I have not seen Tom's approach. I do not
                                                know how he attaches the Snakeskins(R).

                                                The material is waterproof and the hammock can be laid on the wet
                                                ground without getting the hammock wet. It can even be put up in the
                                                rain without getting the hammock wet (for a while).

                                                To use the hammock, I tie the hammock up fairly tight between the two
                                                trees. Then, I pull the covers (tubes) back to each hammock knot.
                                                When I pack, I put the bug net inside the hammock and pull the two
                                                tubes over the hammock. Then I untie the hammock from the trees and
                                                stuff the whole contraption inside a stuff sack made from silnylon.
                                                The stuff sack is about the size of two grapefruits. This keeps the
                                                wet straps off the hammock and off the rest of what is in my pack.

                                                I hope this helps.

                                                Rick

                                                wrote:
                                                > Out of curiosity how do you pack your hammocks up when breaking
                                                camp?

                                                > I stood there yestarday trying to take the darn things down andnot
                                                let them
                                                > touch the wet ground.
                                                >
                                                > The only way i could do it was to untie one end, and fold/roll up
                                                the
                                                > hammock all the way to the other end and untie that. Worked ok but
                                                made for
                                                > a bulky package...
                                                >
                                                > robi
                                              • David Chinell
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                                  Robi:

                                                  I pack everything up except the hammock and tarp. Then I
                                                  untie one end of the hammock and roll it towards the tied
                                                  end, just as you do. I find this makes a very compact
                                                  package, since I can keep a constant tension on the hammock
                                                  as I roll it up. The tarp comes down last, and if it's wet,
                                                  goes on the outside of the pack.

                                                  Bear