Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Campout--Springer Mtn, GA Dec 31, 2006

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
      I was told that Brain and Tom put some fire wood under the shelter
      for us and decided not to stick around all day in the rain. Wise
      choice. I called Ed on my way up there to make sure he was still
      going. Like I told him, I felt foolish heading out to the mountains
      in the rain when it was suppose to rain for a long, long time...
      usually you get the heck out of the mountains in those conditions. I
      stayed dry under my tarp from the rain and it was some serious rain,
      but the moving fog wet everything for a while but the fog eventually
      lifted and my hammock and insulation was dry by morning. My hammock
      and insulation has the good DWR so that was just a nuisance. My new
      rain gear did soak through from me standing in the rain for hours and
      that could have been a real bad news in cooler weather and or a
      longer backpacking trip. Like I told Ed, I'm on the market for new
      rain gear. My new rain gear was a replacement pair for the same
      model that I had used for years with thousands of trail miles and
      never had that problem with them, I guess something changed with them?

      Dave

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
        Were you with Brian? We were wondering what happened to you guys..Ed

        Yes, I was with Brian.

        At 11 am I told him I wasn't hanging tonight, but I would sleep in the truck if he wanted to stay. He said: "I didn't want to be the first to blink" or some such. HOI had already decided to leave.

        Tom

      • seuss910
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
          Making camp, packing, unpacking, cooking. Those I'll agree with.
          Gathering water? I just had to wring out my socks and there was enough
          water for a family of 4 to cook dinner.

          I was glad to have a 10 x 12 tarp in that rain. Lots of room to pack,
          unpack, etc. I was sorry to have a light grey 10 x 12 tarp that blended
          in with the mist and rain so well that I lost it every time I wandered
          more than 20 feet away and had to keep circling around trying to pick
          it out of the fog. My apologies to the many I probably woke stumbling
          around.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
            seuss910 <wrv77@...> wrote: Making camp, packing, unpacking, cooking. Those I'll agree with.
            Gathering water? I just had to wring out my socks and there was enough
            water for a family of 4 to cook dinner.
            .
            ### you're a resourceful guy seuss<g>.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
              Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: . My new
              rain gear did soak through from me standing in the rain for hours and
              that could have been a real bad news in cooler weather and or a
              longer backpacking trip. Like I told Ed, I'm on the market for new
              rain gear. My new rain gear was a replacement pair for the same
              model that I had used for years with thousands of trail miles and
              never had that problem with them, I guess something changed with them?

              Dave
              .
              ### what kind of rain gear were you using dave?

            • Tom Blum
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                Since the twins won't die, I will share that none of us were "correct" Although we may have been close enough to get a face slapped.

                El correcto esta

                "Pechos agradable"

                Tom
                Who was weaned to soon, I'm sure.

              • Tom Blum
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                  please excuse the last post. I crossed lists.

                  Yo soy uno idioto.
                  Tom

                • Sandy Kramer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                    heh heh... i read the bit about the twins not dying and thought "I
                    guess you had to be there. Must be an inside joke."

                    while I'm at it.. believe it or not, even for a man you would
                    say, "Yo soy un idiota."

                    for female it is "una idiota."

                    sandy from the third world segment of the country!!

                  • teblum@verizon.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                      Thank you maam

                      Tom

                      PS wet and cold on springer mountain. I stayed sat. nite and then bailed berofe the crowd got there.

                    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                        > We were wondering what happened to you guys..Ed

                        Sorry to have bailed on you guys. I wish we could have all shared a
                        campfire again. So close and yet...
                        Anyway, I'm working on the April Hang out and a section hike. By the
                        way, anyone go home from Hot Springs by way of Damascus Va. ?

                        Brian
                        T-BACK