RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Campout--Springer Mtn, GA Dec 31, 2006

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
      You're a wise man Tom. It's probably a good thing you had the sense to stay
      off the mountain. It really was an ordeal for everyone, even those who did
      manage to stay somewhat dry. It was a chore just making camp, packing,
      unpacking, gathering water, cooking.everything in a downpour is that more
      difficult. It took all day yesterday just to dry everything.

      At least it was warm, unlike some past NYEs.

      Were you with Brian? We were wondering what happened to you guys..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
        I was told that Brain and Tom put some fire wood under the shelter
        for us and decided not to stick around all day in the rain. Wise
        choice. I called Ed on my way up there to make sure he was still
        going. Like I told him, I felt foolish heading out to the mountains
        in the rain when it was suppose to rain for a long, long time...
        usually you get the heck out of the mountains in those conditions. I
        stayed dry under my tarp from the rain and it was some serious rain,
        but the moving fog wet everything for a while but the fog eventually
        lifted and my hammock and insulation was dry by morning. My hammock
        and insulation has the good DWR so that was just a nuisance. My new
        rain gear did soak through from me standing in the rain for hours and
        that could have been a real bad news in cooler weather and or a
        longer backpacking trip. Like I told Ed, I'm on the market for new
        rain gear. My new rain gear was a replacement pair for the same
        model that I had used for years with thousands of trail miles and
        never had that problem with them, I guess something changed with them?

        Dave

        > You're a wise man Tom. It's probably a good thing you had the
        sense to stay
        > off the mountain. It really was an ordeal for everyone, even those
        who did
        > manage to stay somewhat dry. It was a chore just making camp,
        packing,
        > unpacking, gathering water, cooking.everything in a downpour is
        that more
        > difficult. It took all day yesterday just to dry everything.
        >

        > At least it was warm, unlike some past NYEs.
        >

        > Were you with Brian? We were wondering what happened to you
        guys..Ed

        > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
        >
        > Editor, Hammock Camping News
        >
        > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
        >

        > _____

      • Tom Blum
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
          Were you with Brian? We were wondering what happened to you guys..Ed

          Yes, I was with Brian.

          At 11 am I told him I wasn't hanging tonight, but I would sleep in the truck if he wanted to stay. He said: "I didn't want to be the first to blink" or some such. HOI had already decided to leave.

          Tom

        • seuss910
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
            Making camp, packing, unpacking, cooking. Those I'll agree with.
            Gathering water? I just had to wring out my socks and there was enough
            water for a family of 4 to cook dinner.

            I was glad to have a 10 x 12 tarp in that rain. Lots of room to pack,
            unpack, etc. I was sorry to have a light grey 10 x 12 tarp that blended
            in with the mist and rain so well that I lost it every time I wandered
            more than 20 feet away and had to keep circling around trying to pick
            it out of the fog. My apologies to the many I probably woke stumbling
            around.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
              seuss910 <wrv77@...> wrote: Making camp, packing, unpacking, cooking. Those I'll agree with.
              Gathering water? I just had to wring out my socks and there was enough
              water for a family of 4 to cook dinner.
              .
              ### you're a resourceful guy seuss<g>.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: . My new
                rain gear did soak through from me standing in the rain for hours and
                that could have been a real bad news in cooler weather and or a
                longer backpacking trip. Like I told Ed, I'm on the market for new
                rain gear. My new rain gear was a replacement pair for the same
                model that I had used for years with thousands of trail miles and
                never had that problem with them, I guess something changed with them?

                Dave
                .
                ### what kind of rain gear were you using dave?

              • Tom Blum
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                  Since the twins won't die, I will share that none of us were "correct" Although we may have been close enough to get a face slapped.

                  El correcto esta

                  "Pechos agradable"

                  Tom
                  Who was weaned to soon, I'm sure.

                • Tom Blum
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                    please excuse the last post. I crossed lists.

                    Yo soy uno idioto.
                    Tom

                  • Sandy Kramer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                      heh heh... i read the bit about the twins not dying and thought "I
                      guess you had to be there. Must be an inside joke."

                      while I'm at it.. believe it or not, even for a man you would
                      say, "Yo soy un idiota."

                      for female it is "una idiota."

                      sandy from the third world segment of the country!!

                    • teblum@verizon.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                        Thank you maam

                        Tom

                        PS wet and cold on springer mountain. I stayed sat. nite and then bailed berofe the crowd got there.

                      • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                          > We were wondering what happened to you guys..Ed

                          Sorry to have bailed on you guys. I wish we could have all shared a
                          campfire again. So close and yet...
                          Anyway, I'm working on the April Hang out and a section hike. By the
                          way, anyone go home from Hot Springs by way of Damascus Va. ?

                          Brian
                          T-BACK