Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Campout--Springer Mtn, GA Dec 31, 2006

  • Tom Blum
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
      Ed
      Sorry to have missed you.

      After Saturday night, everything was damp and I wasn't going to spend another night hanging STARTING from that point. Plus, as you stated, the rain sure puts a damper on socializing and it is a long night when you go to bed at 7PM!!

      We will meet another time.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
        You're a wise man Tom. It's probably a good thing you had the sense to stay
        off the mountain. It really was an ordeal for everyone, even those who did
        manage to stay somewhat dry. It was a chore just making camp, packing,
        unpacking, gathering water, cooking.everything in a downpour is that more
        difficult. It took all day yesterday just to dry everything.

        At least it was warm, unlike some past NYEs.

        Were you with Brian? We were wondering what happened to you guys..Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
          I was told that Brain and Tom put some fire wood under the shelter
          for us and decided not to stick around all day in the rain. Wise
          choice. I called Ed on my way up there to make sure he was still
          going. Like I told him, I felt foolish heading out to the mountains
          in the rain when it was suppose to rain for a long, long time...
          usually you get the heck out of the mountains in those conditions. I
          stayed dry under my tarp from the rain and it was some serious rain,
          but the moving fog wet everything for a while but the fog eventually
          lifted and my hammock and insulation was dry by morning. My hammock
          and insulation has the good DWR so that was just a nuisance. My new
          rain gear did soak through from me standing in the rain for hours and
          that could have been a real bad news in cooler weather and or a
          longer backpacking trip. Like I told Ed, I'm on the market for new
          rain gear. My new rain gear was a replacement pair for the same
          model that I had used for years with thousands of trail miles and
          never had that problem with them, I guess something changed with them?

          Dave

          > You're a wise man Tom. It's probably a good thing you had the
          sense to stay
          > off the mountain. It really was an ordeal for everyone, even those
          who did
          > manage to stay somewhat dry. It was a chore just making camp,
          packing,
          > unpacking, gathering water, cooking.everything in a downpour is
          that more
          > difficult. It took all day yesterday just to dry everything.
          >

          > At least it was warm, unlike some past NYEs.
          >

          > Were you with Brian? We were wondering what happened to you
          guys..Ed

          > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
          >
          > Editor, Hammock Camping News
          >
          > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
          >

          > _____

        • Tom Blum
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
            Were you with Brian? We were wondering what happened to you guys..Ed

            Yes, I was with Brian.

            At 11 am I told him I wasn't hanging tonight, but I would sleep in the truck if he wanted to stay. He said: "I didn't want to be the first to blink" or some such. HOI had already decided to leave.

            Tom

          • seuss910
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
              Making camp, packing, unpacking, cooking. Those I'll agree with.
              Gathering water? I just had to wring out my socks and there was enough
              water for a family of 4 to cook dinner.

              I was glad to have a 10 x 12 tarp in that rain. Lots of room to pack,
              unpack, etc. I was sorry to have a light grey 10 x 12 tarp that blended
              in with the mist and rain so well that I lost it every time I wandered
              more than 20 feet away and had to keep circling around trying to pick
              it out of the fog. My apologies to the many I probably woke stumbling
              around.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                seuss910 <wrv77@...> wrote: Making camp, packing, unpacking, cooking. Those I'll agree with.
                Gathering water? I just had to wring out my socks and there was enough
                water for a family of 4 to cook dinner.
                .
                ### you're a resourceful guy seuss<g>.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                  Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: . My new
                  rain gear did soak through from me standing in the rain for hours and
                  that could have been a real bad news in cooler weather and or a
                  longer backpacking trip. Like I told Ed, I'm on the market for new
                  rain gear. My new rain gear was a replacement pair for the same
                  model that I had used for years with thousands of trail miles and
                  never had that problem with them, I guess something changed with them?

                  Dave
                  .
                  ### what kind of rain gear were you using dave?

                • Tom Blum
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                    Since the twins won't die, I will share that none of us were "correct" Although we may have been close enough to get a face slapped.

                    El correcto esta

                    "Pechos agradable"

                    Tom
                    Who was weaned to soon, I'm sure.

                  • Tom Blum
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                      please excuse the last post. I crossed lists.

                      Yo soy uno idioto.
                      Tom

                    • Sandy Kramer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                        heh heh... i read the bit about the twins not dying and thought "I
                        guess you had to be there. Must be an inside joke."

                        while I'm at it.. believe it or not, even for a man you would
                        say, "Yo soy un idiota."

                        for female it is "una idiota."

                        sandy from the third world segment of the country!!

                      • teblum@verizon.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                          Thank you maam

                          Tom

                          PS wet and cold on springer mountain. I stayed sat. nite and then bailed berofe the crowd got there.

                        • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                            > We were wondering what happened to you guys..Ed

                            Sorry to have bailed on you guys. I wish we could have all shared a
                            campfire again. So close and yet...
                            Anyway, I'm working on the April Hang out and a section hike. By the
                            way, anyone go home from Hot Springs by way of Damascus Va. ?

                            Brian
                            T-BACK