RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Campout--Springer Mtn, GA Dec 31, 2006

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
      thanks for the report ed. i thought about yall this week end & missed seeing you.
      when i put my hammock up in the back yard, i try to be sure & go ahead & take them down because of the warnings i've herd from you & others about how damaging the sun is.
      occasionally i have left them up longer than i ment to. thanks for the reminder.
      MAN... you & karen are committed to the hammocking community... teaching us to be careful w/ your first hand examples of hammock failures<g>.
      but i hope karen wasn't hurt or sore from it. even if not, that's no fun to have to pack-up & change plans. ...tim
      PS... i hope dave & brian & the others wern't to roudy<g>.

      Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
      Wow! What a campout! Yep, it rained-a LOT! Hiking to the summit of
      Springer Mtn on Sunday afternoon was like wading in a flooding creek. The
      trail itself became the creek, complete with waterfalls! No way to keep
      your feet dry. At least it was warm-about 50F. In fact it got down to only
      42F Sunday night!

      But then it really rained some more! Heavy showers every hour or so till
      about 9pm. Then dense fog all night.

      But in spite of the poor weather, about 30-40 hearty soles showed up,
      including 3 southbounders who finished their thruhike on Sunday! In
      addition, several northbounders were on hand to start their hike on Monday.
      About 8 or so hammock campers set up near the trail shelter. The heavy rain
      put a real damper on socializing & celebrating at the shelter, except for
      those who were too soused to notice.

      Karen's hammock ripped unexpectedly, so we ended up spending the night in
      the car back at the trailhead. Today, we inspected her hammock and
      determined that sun rot was the culprit. We use our hammocks a lot, but it
      seems we had left hers setup under the car port too many times and the early
      morning & late afternoon sun did its thing on the ends of the hammock that
      stuck out from under the PeaPod. We noticed sun bleaching of some of the
      fabric folds near each end and sure enough, we could tear those faded folds
      simply by pulling moderately with our fingers! Guess we should heed our own
      warnings about avoiding the sun with nylon hammocks! Anyway, the hammock
      was 4 years old and had seen lots of use-but you can bet we'll be more
      careful in the future!

      On Monday am, 9 of us met in the parking lot and headed to Dahlonega for an
      all-you-can-eat lunch at the Smith House. This has become quite a New
      Year's Day tradition and as usual we enjoyed the company. Those at the
      table probably had a cumulative 65,000 trail miles! With lots of good food
      and sweet tea flowing, we quickly forgot all about the rain and everyone
      parted company promising to be back next year..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

    • Tom Blum
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
        Ed
        Sorry to have missed you.

        After Saturday night, everything was damp and I wasn't going to spend another night hanging STARTING from that point. Plus, as you stated, the rain sure puts a damper on socializing and it is a long night when you go to bed at 7PM!!

        We will meet another time.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
          You're a wise man Tom. It's probably a good thing you had the sense to stay
          off the mountain. It really was an ordeal for everyone, even those who did
          manage to stay somewhat dry. It was a chore just making camp, packing,
          unpacking, gathering water, cooking.everything in a downpour is that more
          difficult. It took all day yesterday just to dry everything.

          At least it was warm, unlike some past NYEs.

          Were you with Brian? We were wondering what happened to you guys..Ed

          _____

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
            I was told that Brain and Tom put some fire wood under the shelter
            for us and decided not to stick around all day in the rain. Wise
            choice. I called Ed on my way up there to make sure he was still
            going. Like I told him, I felt foolish heading out to the mountains
            in the rain when it was suppose to rain for a long, long time...
            usually you get the heck out of the mountains in those conditions. I
            stayed dry under my tarp from the rain and it was some serious rain,
            but the moving fog wet everything for a while but the fog eventually
            lifted and my hammock and insulation was dry by morning. My hammock
            and insulation has the good DWR so that was just a nuisance. My new
            rain gear did soak through from me standing in the rain for hours and
            that could have been a real bad news in cooler weather and or a
            longer backpacking trip. Like I told Ed, I'm on the market for new
            rain gear. My new rain gear was a replacement pair for the same
            model that I had used for years with thousands of trail miles and
            never had that problem with them, I guess something changed with them?

            Dave

            > You're a wise man Tom. It's probably a good thing you had the
            sense to stay
            > off the mountain. It really was an ordeal for everyone, even those
            who did
            > manage to stay somewhat dry. It was a chore just making camp,
            packing,
            > unpacking, gathering water, cooking.everything in a downpour is
            that more
            > difficult. It took all day yesterday just to dry everything.
            >

            > At least it was warm, unlike some past NYEs.
            >

            > Were you with Brian? We were wondering what happened to you
            guys..Ed

            > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
            >
            > Editor, Hammock Camping News
            >
            > Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc
            >

            > _____

          • Tom Blum
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
              Were you with Brian? We were wondering what happened to you guys..Ed

              Yes, I was with Brian.

              At 11 am I told him I wasn't hanging tonight, but I would sleep in the truck if he wanted to stay. He said: "I didn't want to be the first to blink" or some such. HOI had already decided to leave.

              Tom

            • seuss910
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                Making camp, packing, unpacking, cooking. Those I'll agree with.
                Gathering water? I just had to wring out my socks and there was enough
                water for a family of 4 to cook dinner.

                I was glad to have a 10 x 12 tarp in that rain. Lots of room to pack,
                unpack, etc. I was sorry to have a light grey 10 x 12 tarp that blended
                in with the mist and rain so well that I lost it every time I wandered
                more than 20 feet away and had to keep circling around trying to pick
                it out of the fog. My apologies to the many I probably woke stumbling
                around.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                  seuss910 <wrv77@...> wrote: Making camp, packing, unpacking, cooking. Those I'll agree with.
                  Gathering water? I just had to wring out my socks and there was enough
                  water for a family of 4 to cook dinner.
                  .
                  ### you're a resourceful guy seuss<g>.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                    Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: . My new
                    rain gear did soak through from me standing in the rain for hours and
                    that could have been a real bad news in cooler weather and or a
                    longer backpacking trip. Like I told Ed, I'm on the market for new
                    rain gear. My new rain gear was a replacement pair for the same
                    model that I had used for years with thousands of trail miles and
                    never had that problem with them, I guess something changed with them?

                    Dave
                    .
                    ### what kind of rain gear were you using dave?

                  • Tom Blum
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                      Since the twins won't die, I will share that none of us were "correct" Although we may have been close enough to get a face slapped.

                      El correcto esta

                      "Pechos agradable"

                      Tom
                      Who was weaned to soon, I'm sure.

                    • Tom Blum
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                        please excuse the last post. I crossed lists.

                        Yo soy uno idioto.
                        Tom

                      • Sandy Kramer
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                          heh heh... i read the bit about the twins not dying and thought "I
                          guess you had to be there. Must be an inside joke."

                          while I'm at it.. believe it or not, even for a man you would
                          say, "Yo soy un idiota."

                          for female it is "una idiota."

                          sandy from the third world segment of the country!!

                        • teblum@verizon.net
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                            Thank you maam

                            Tom

                            PS wet and cold on springer mountain. I stayed sat. nite and then bailed berofe the crowd got there.

                          • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                              > We were wondering what happened to you guys..Ed

                              Sorry to have bailed on you guys. I wish we could have all shared a
                              campfire again. So close and yet...
                              Anyway, I'm working on the April Hang out and a section hike. By the
                              way, anyone go home from Hot Springs by way of Damascus Va. ?

                              Brian
                              T-BACK