RE: [Hammock Camping] Very tall man

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2006
      keith... if you have access to a sewing machine or know someone who does some sewing, making your own quilt w/ foot box would be ideal.
      you can make it a custom fit.
      it's really pretty simple if you use a synthetic insulation in sheet form.
      check out the thru-hiker web site. you can find it w/ google.
      they have instructions on making quilts as well as the insulation & fabric. but you can buy light weight nylon fabric at wal-mart for $1.00 per yard.
      and if you want to keep it really simple, just attach the insulation to one side of the quilt shell w/ quilting loops, then w/ all three layers in place (outer shell, insulation, liner) just sew the edges all the way around.
      then form a foot box by sewing the bottom edges together & maybe up about 20".
      that's it. ...tim

      Keith YOung <tory1942@...> wrote:
      Thanks for the reply. My hammock is from TreckLight.
      http://www.treklightonline.com
      It's 10' long, the extra-wide model, and is supposed to hold 400#. This is a minimalist setup (supply my own ropes, etc.). I've strung it indoors, and it holds me OK ... finding that I have to re-position the screw-eyes into the studs in the spare bedroom up more, to get the approx. 30 deg 'sag'.

      However, as you can imagine, NOTHING FITS over most of the course of my life. I was only able to buy clothes and shoes off the rack, or in specialty catalogs, within the last 20 years. "Tall," in hiking/camping circles, seems to mean up to 6' 3". My toes stick out of mummy bags. I am forever banging my head on low-hanging branches and door frames.

      By the way, as of 2006, I ride a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter, and I'm OK on it with my height and weight, which is delightful. I have no intention of going 'off-road,' beyond a well-packed gravel surface.

      If there isn't anything you'd recommend, I suppose I could just get a blanket and pin it together with blanket safety pins ... or go to a motel (with at least a queen-size bed). Sigh!
      .

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
        Thanks for that URL, Keith. I ordered the black w/gold trim double for
        snuggling w/hubby tho don't think it would work for an all-nighter.
        Still, for $50 the price was right.

        sandy in miami