Very tall man

  • tory1942
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 29, 2006
      I am a 65 y/o man, expecting to do some motor-scooter based 3-season
      camping (mid-spring thru mid-fall). I just bought a TreckLite
      hammock. However, I am 6' 8", about 280 lbs., with size 14 feet. I
      live in Philadelphia, PA, plan to travel in an approximagte 300-mile
      radius, and don't plan to camp in the snow or ice. Which brands of
      sleeping bags or quilts should I look for, to accomodate my size and
      body mass?
    • David Elliott
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
        Hey. I looked at the Treklight site, and what looked interesting was the
        lightweight carabiners (lighter and cheaper than climbing carabiners, but
        stronger than cheap "mini-biners"). Does anyone know if they are as
        advertised? I use spectra line and learned once that a bowline will snug
        down so tight with that slippery stuff that it takes a leatherman to untie
        it. Since then I've discovered that I can use hollow-braided line with
        adjustable splices. It makes for very easy set-up and take-down if I use
        carabiners to connect the spectra loops to tree-huggers. I'm looking for a
        good source for medium-weight, medium strength, medium priced carabiners.

        Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live
      • jack_tier
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tory1942" <tory1942@...> wrote:

          > I am a 65 y/o man, expecting to do some motor-scooter based 3-season
          > camping (mid-spring thru mid-fall). I just bought a TreckLite
          > hammock. However, I am 6' 8", about 280 lbs., with size 14 feet. I
          > live in Philadelphia, PA, plan to travel in an approximagte 300-mile
          > radius, and don't plan to camp in the snow or ice. Which brands of
          > sleeping bags or quilts should I look for, to accomodate my size and
          > body mass?

          The JRB Mt Rogers quilts will work for your size as either UQ or TQ in
          a hammock.

          Pan
        • jack_tier
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tory1942" <tory1942@...> wrote:

            > I am a 65 y/o man, expecting to do some motor-scooter based 3-season
            > camping (mid-spring thru mid-fall). I just bought a TreckLite
            > hammock. However, I am 6' 8", about 280 lbs., with size 14 feet. I
            > live in Philadelphia, PA, plan to travel in an approximagte 300-mile
            > radius, and don't plan to camp in the snow or ice. Which brands of
            > sleeping bags or quilts should I look for, to accomodate my size and
            > body mass?

            You might want to take a look at the JRB Mt Rogers quilt...it will work
            as a TQ or UQ for a person of your size in a hammock.

            Pan
          • Keith YOung

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
                I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears, and
                bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope, and burned
                the ends to prevent un-raveling. I figured that doubling this rope on each
                end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near
                300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8"). Seems to work. I use the
                carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-hook on the end of the hammock.

                Keith, the way the trig works for the common angles of hanging the amount of
                tension on the rope is actually many times your weight. Even doubled up you
                are barely operating within the ropes safety margin.
                Both Yongblood and I put posted a spreadsheet to help you calculate actual
                tension.
                Also remember your weight is a static load, When getting in or out the
                forces are momentarily much higher.

                At a 30° sag angle the tension on EACH rope works out to be your weight!!!!

                At lower sag angles (tighter hammock) it will be much higher.

                Ralph

                PS YMMV hang low over soft ground

              • Shane Steinkamp
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 4, 2007
                  > lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near 300-lb weight (remembering
                  that I'm
                  > 6' 8").

                  Hey! Who let the little guy in?

                  Oh, and Ralph is right.

                  Get better rope.

                  Shane
                • Keith YOung

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
                      Very tall Man,
                      Since weight isn't that much of an issue
                      for your motorscooter,
                      I'd go to an outfitter and buy CLIMBING
                      roped/webbing. It's a bit heavy but is designed to be fail safe. Some test
                      out at a 700 to 1,000 pounds. They also are designed not to stretch. But you
                      will have to ask them which rope you need for your hammock hanging purposes.

                      CCwayah
                    • Brian Neeley
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
                        Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears, and
                        bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope,
                        <snip>

                        I figured that doubling this rope on each
                        end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than enough to cover my near
                        300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8"). Seems to work. I use the
                        carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-hook on the end of the hammock.

                        .On

                        One other thing to consider, ANY knot (or more specifically, bend) that you put in your rope will reduce its strength. A good old square knot reduces the breaking strength by HALF. A clove hitch is much better, reducing the strength by (I forget exactly), say 10 - 20%. Splices are great, only reducing strength by about 5%. But splices aren't easy, and they are permanent (but maybe that is what you want...).
                        Basically, any time you bend your rope double, you halve your strength.
                        So, like someone else said, buy harness strapping. That should be plenty strong enough; and then it's a simple matter to use some of the clips or buckles some people love so much.
                        Sorry, I don't know anything about those buckles, I've never used 'em. I haven't even tied my hammock up since early in the spring :(.

                        Brian

                      • David Elliott
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 6, 2007
                          If you use hollow-braid rope, splices are easily adjustable. They're also
                          the easiest splices to make - you're just doubling the end back and running
                          it through the center cavity of the rope for 6 inches or so and back out
                          again. When there's tension on the splice it doesn't budge (like a Chinese
                          finger trap), but when you take the tension off you can slide the rope
                          either way, making the loop larger or smaller. I put the splice at least 6
                          feet from the end of the rope and close to the end that attaches to the
                          hammock. That way my end loop can be adjusted to short (3 inches) or long
                          (3 feet) or anywhere in between. This is easily done after the hammock is
                          put up as long as nobody is in it. Try it with cheap polypropylene rope
                          first (make sure it's strong enough), but if you're like me and value
                          compactness in addition to light weight you'll switch to spectra. Wakeboard
                          rope (1500 lb.+ test?) is fine, but I recently got some Amsteel 7/64" rope
                          (1200 lb. test) which packs up very small. One caveat: it is so thin that
                          it doesn't look strong enough to hold you. I've had two humans and a dog in
                          my hammock, but it took some persuading to get the second human in. You can
                          make a splicing tool from a piece of stiff wire, doubled. Reach through the
                          center of the rope and pull a loop of string through, then use the string to
                          pull the rope back the other way.

                          From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has
                          it all. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline1
                        • natesdenn71
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 6, 2007
                            My hammock came with 6mm climbing rope. This has worked great! I
                            also bought two sections of 1/2 inch tubular webbing each 12ft. long
                            from a climbing shop to use a tree straps. I went with a lot of
                            webbing to make sure I could tie up on MOST trees. I have pics of my
                            set up on the group page under "Nates Hammock" I am also a big guy at
                            6'2" 280lbs. My system has not shown any signs of failing (yet)!!
                            Good luck!
                          • Sandy Kramer
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                              i ordered the double treklight...what is the recommended length of
                              rope ... total to purchase?? (then cut in half)

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                                Hi, Sandy,

                                I bought a 50' package of 100# test polypropylene soft rope from Sears, then cut that length in half, seal/melting the ends with a flame.

                                However, look at the other posts on the topic of "very tall man." It seems that the strains on the lines is much more than I'd anticipated. Handing a hammock (indoors) with a sag of about 30 deg. seems best, but the strains on EACH rope are at least equal to my weight (a bit less than 300 lbs. -- which is in proportion to my height at 6' 8"). Figure out the strtains, based on your own weight. Look up Youngblood's chart, at the files part of this Yahoo Club.

                                I've doubled each rope, but am now looking at woven polyester strapping tape (possibly tubular), "MuleTape" or climber's rope, with a test strength of about 800 to 1200 lbs. range.

                                I don't have to pay quite so much attention to ultralight philosophy, since I'll be on my motor scooter (but, at 650cc's, it's a "fire-breathing, wolf-in-sheep's-clothing" scooter), and it will carry the weight for me. If the temperature drops down close to 50 deg F., it's a motel for sure.

                                Since I'm inside, and in the spare upstairs bedroom this winter, I've drilled out holes in 90-year-old red oak studs, put in screw-eyes with a twist bar and also placed a bunch of cushions and pillows under me, until I get this right.

                                Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                                i ordered the double treklight...what is the recommended length of
                                rope ... total to purchase?? (then cut in half)

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Keith YOung <tory1942@...> wrote:

                                > I did have to buy my own rope for the hammock, so I went to Sears,
                                and bought some 100-lb. test polypropylene reduced-stretch soft rope,
                                and burned the ends to prevent un-raveling. I figured that doubling
                                this rope on each end would give me a 400-lb. strength, more than
                                enough to cover my near 300-lb weight (remembering that I'm 6' 8").
                                Seems to work. I use the carabiners to clip the rope end to the "S"-
                                hook on the end of the hammock.

                              • terry_and_pearl
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 8, 2007
                                  Polyester webbing works really great. Very little to no stretch and
                                  doesn't abrade or absorb water like nylon. Don't get the real thick
                                  stuff. Also, the polyester webbing works as your tree hugger as well
                                  as the suspension. Form the webbing into a giant loop and girth hitch
                                  to the tree with the free end hooked into the carabiner and then
                                  tighten with a double ring buckle. In this manner you will have 2
                                  lengths of webbing suspending the hammock from the tree, each with
                                  half the load.

                                  A double ring buckle works very good. As good as a cam buckle to
                                  tighten. A little trickier to loosen, but once you learn the trick it
                                  is easy and simple to loosen also. Also, the double ring buckle will
                                  be a lot stronger than the cam buckle and won't have any abrasive
                                  effect on the webbing like a cam buckle could.

                                  I use 1,000 lb, 1" polyester webbing. These from Harbor Frieght:

                                  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40063

                                  work really great. Cut off the cam buckle and sew another loop in its
                                  place with 2 rings in the loop.

                                  I use the SMC descending rings. They're AL with a very high rated
                                  capacity, light and cheap (about $2.50 each, you will need 4):

                                  http://www.smcgear.net/products.asp?cat=5&pid=44

                                  Using these, a double ring buckle will weigh only about 0.8 oz - good
                                  even for those that watch their weight and the webbing is very light also.