Re: I need help!!

  • colonelcorn76
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 3 11:28 AM
      > There I was safely inside my HH with the
      > rainfly attached to the ridgeline using shockcord on all four
      corners
      > of the rainfly with no flapping. All of sudden in the middle of
      the
      > night I was awoken by the sound of extremely high winds and looked
      > overhead at the night sky! When the wind stopped, my rainfly was
      > taunt and in place over the hammock. It also kept the rain that
      > followed off of me and I stayed dry, fortunely for me, it wasn't
      > raining when the high winds came through because if it had I would
      > have be drenched, since the shockcord stretched enough in high
      winds
      > to leave hte hammock exposed. I learned the inherent problem of
      > using shockcord on a rainfly, the shockcord stretches under high
      wind
      > load and may compromise your coverage. For me, it was a 'false
      > solution' to the inherent problem of attaching the rainfly to the
      > hammock ridgeline and it also got me thinking (and yes, thinking
      > sometimes gets me into trouble) about the 'stretch' that is
      inherent
      > in the much used 1/8" nylon cord that I have sometimes used to rig
      > tarps. Since then, I use a home made hammock and a 8x10' tarp
      with
      > very low stretch spectra cord to rig the tarp as a rainfly.
      >
      > Youngblood

      I've been in windy rain (all we've had so far this spring has been
      rain, with & without wind) using Jerry's wrist rocket tubing scheme
      for the fly and haven't had the problems you noted and I've got an
      HH Ultralight Asym which does not have an overly large fly.

      I still use the same cord attachments for the fly to ridgeline that
      shipped with the tarp. It's *critical* that the fly be centered over
      the hammock. Even with snakeskins it can shift around between uses
      so I check it every time.

      The rubber tubing from a wrist rocket slingshot is attached to each
      of the fly tie-out rings. Attached to this is the standard Hennessy
      black cord (non-stretch). If rain is expected I tie out the fly to
      the same stakes I use for the hammock sides except that I stretch
      the rubber tubing about half its limit. That way as the fly moves in
      the wind/rain there's enough give to move a bit (but not nearly like
      your overhead see the sky experience). If the fabric "shrinks" it
      simply pulls on the rubber tubing maintaining tension. If
      it "stretches" the tubing still can pull it tight.

      If rain isn't forecast, I do the same thing on one side and on the
      other I fling the fly over the top of the ridgeline so it's on the
      side that's tied-out. Then I run its cord over the ridge to a loop
      of cord I have attached to the stake and up into the hammock where I
      tuck it into my shoes (I hang them from the ridgline when I sleep).
      If it starts to rain, I sit up, grab the cord, pull it tight--which
      pulls the free side of the fly up over the ridge and then tightens
      it up, tie it off to the ridgeline, lay back down and go back to
      sleep. (I picked this up from either Shane or Sgt. Rock and they
      have my everlasting gratitude.)

      Jim
      (I'll give up my HH when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers
      <grin>)
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 23 9:52 AM
        Hi,

        If you go to WallyMart they have a set of replacement tubes & pouch
        for about $4. The pouch is a little leather oblong that has a hole
        in either end which the tubing is attached to using what looks like
        a larkshead knot.

        What I did was cut the leather so I could pull the tubing off. That
        leaves a tube with a loop in the end. If you're using a grommet or
        plastic ring like the Hennessey uses on the fly then you need to get
        the ring inside the tubing loop.

        The secret is that the tubing is simply a tube. On one end they poke
        a hole in one wall of the tube. Then they lay the pouch on the tube,
        reach through the hole, grab the end of the tube and pull it through
        the hole so it ends up turning inside itself.

        It's much less difficult to do than it is to picture from this
        description though. First you'll want to soap it up to make the
        rubber slippery. Then you can grab the loop with a pair of needle-
        nose pliers and pull it back out of itself. Then you can reverse the
        process by using the needle-nose pliers again to reach through the
        hole and grab the end to catch the ring or grommet. The first time
        you do it you'll puzzle over it. The 2nd time you'll just do it.

        In fact, I don't bother pulling the tubing out when I do it. I just
        cut it off just below where it connects to the leather pouch. Then I
        poke a hole using a shish-kebab skewer about 3/4" from the end. I
        push the nose of the pliers through the open end of the tube & out
        the hole I just made. Then I pull the other end of the tube through
        the ring and then place that end in the jaws of the pliers. Then I
        pull it through and when I'm done I've got that nice neat connection
        around the ring.

        On the free end of the tube that attaches to the tie-out cord I use
        a small (1/4" dia) nylon spacer (Home Depot, 50 cents, you'll find
        them in the drawers of miscellaneous hardware) I thread the end of
        the cord through the spacer (it's a hollow nylon tube) and tie a few
        overhand knots to make it large enough not to slip through the hole
        in the spacer. I put some Crazy Glue on the knot to make sure it
        doesn't unravel. Then I soap up the nylon spacer and shove it into
        the end of the rubber tubing. You'll need to fiddle with it a bit to
        get the thing in as it's a tight fit and you'll want to make sure
        the end of the tubing comes down over the end of the spacer but once
        it's on it's not coming off again unless you roll the tubing off of
        the spacer.

        As they say, this thing is "bulletproof". I've not had any issues
        with the connections of the tubing. When I hang my hammock I tie it
        to a stake or tree with the tubing stretched. Then as the fly
        loosens up the tubing takes up the slack. I don't think using an
        elastic cord like the Hennessey's hammock tie-outs use would work
        long term as they tend to loose their stretch over time when
        regularly tied out in a stretched mode. The rubber tubing is a
        surgical grade rubber that doesn't have a problem being tied out
        stretched and then returning to it's unstretched size.

        I don't think this whole thing weighs more than a couple of ounces.

        Jim