RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking inside

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
      I have not tried this, so "tryer beware" but the studs should have no
      trouble holding you up, it's the force pulling the eye out of the stud that
      you'll have trouble with (assuming an appropriate eye.) If it was me, I'd
      get a 12 foot 2x4 or similar and hang the hammock from that, and mount the
      2x4 to the wall in a way that could be removed easily when I want the space
      (for building a kayak or something.) This leaves the floor free for other
      things. Even vaccuming! I have a stand that I bought for my Pawley's Island
      hammock many years ago and hanging my HH from it puts it too low to the
      ground. It works, but my butt ends up a couple inches off the floor and it's
      not so nice to get in and out of. If you have a side entry hammock this
      probably wouldn't be such an issue and you'd be able to reach the bag of
      potato chips on the floor more easily <g>.

      Cheers,

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
        I want to hang my hammock inside to replace my bed and save space. How
        do you hang a hammock inside? I don't trust these old studs. Is there
        a stand you can use inside? Can one be made for inside use?

        thanks

        If you have access to an attic above, you may want to consider a ceiling
        hang. Run an eyebolt up through a beefed up truss.

        Ralph

      • farpost
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
          I wouldn't trust solitary studs, old or new. And don't string straight
          out from the walls. My first attempt was just that, and when I first
          put weight on the hammock, I could sense the wall start to give.

          Instead, I have screwed bolts into studs in places where there are at
          least 2 studs together, such as next to door or window frames. The
          header studs at doors and windows add bracing as well.

          I used heavy duty eyebolts, at least 3 in long, which are positioned
          so that the hammock hangs at a 45 degree angle from the wall thus on a
          diagonal across the room.

          For our cloth hammocks, an S-hook attaches to the eyebolt and the
          hammock's rope loop hooks on the S. For the HH, I just tie the straps
          to the eyebolt. Three bedrooms are always outfitted with a hammock and
          at least one is used daily.

          Good luck.
          Scott

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
          wrote:

          > I want to hang my hammock inside to replace my bed and save space. How
          > do you hang a hammock inside? I don't trust these old studs. Is there
          > a stand you can use inside? Can one be made for inside use?
          >
          > thanks

        • kbwaddy
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
            try the joists in the celing, they are much larger than the studs in
            the walls. you have to place the screws in just the right spot.