Hammocking inside

  • sebastiantoney
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
      I want to hang my hammock inside to replace my bed and save space. How
      do you hang a hammock inside? I don't trust these old studs. Is there
      a stand you can use inside? Can one be made for inside use?

      thanks
    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
        I have not tried this, so "tryer beware" but the studs should have no
        trouble holding you up, it's the force pulling the eye out of the stud that
        you'll have trouble with (assuming an appropriate eye.) If it was me, I'd
        get a 12 foot 2x4 or similar and hang the hammock from that, and mount the
        2x4 to the wall in a way that could be removed easily when I want the space
        (for building a kayak or something.) This leaves the floor free for other
        things. Even vaccuming! I have a stand that I bought for my Pawley's Island
        hammock many years ago and hanging my HH from it puts it too low to the
        ground. It works, but my butt ends up a couple inches off the floor and it's
        not so nice to get in and out of. If you have a side entry hammock this
        probably wouldn't be such an issue and you'd be able to reach the bag of
        potato chips on the floor more easily <g>.

        Cheers,

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
          I want to hang my hammock inside to replace my bed and save space. How
          do you hang a hammock inside? I don't trust these old studs. Is there
          a stand you can use inside? Can one be made for inside use?

          thanks

          If you have access to an attic above, you may want to consider a ceiling
          hang. Run an eyebolt up through a beefed up truss.

          Ralph

        • farpost
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
            I wouldn't trust solitary studs, old or new. And don't string straight
            out from the walls. My first attempt was just that, and when I first
            put weight on the hammock, I could sense the wall start to give.

            Instead, I have screwed bolts into studs in places where there are at
            least 2 studs together, such as next to door or window frames. The
            header studs at doors and windows add bracing as well.

            I used heavy duty eyebolts, at least 3 in long, which are positioned
            so that the hammock hangs at a 45 degree angle from the wall thus on a
            diagonal across the room.

            For our cloth hammocks, an S-hook attaches to the eyebolt and the
            hammock's rope loop hooks on the S. For the HH, I just tie the straps
            to the eyebolt. Three bedrooms are always outfitted with a hammock and
            at least one is used daily.

            Good luck.
            Scott

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
            wrote:

            > I want to hang my hammock inside to replace my bed and save space. How
            > do you hang a hammock inside? I don't trust these old studs. Is there
            > a stand you can use inside? Can one be made for inside use?
            >
            > thanks

          • kbwaddy
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
              try the joists in the celing, they are much larger than the studs in
              the walls. you have to place the screws in just the right spot.