sleeping setup for section hike

  • Jeff Palmer
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 21, 2006
      I just joined this group and I have a question.

      I'm planning on hiking from Springer to Damascus, starting in early
      April. I had originally planned to use the following gear for
      sleeping: Stephenson Warmlite tent, Stephenson D.A.M., 30 degree down
      bag, and laying with silk long underwear, wool long underwear, wool
      socks wool cap and down vest. I've used this setup as low as 20 degrees.

      I've just made myself a Speer hammock and tarp that I would like to
      use instead of the tent. Everything else would be the same. I don't
      want to leave the D.A.M. behind in case I have to sleep on the
      ground. Should this setup keep me warm enough during the hike or
      should I be considering a Peapod or something similar?

      Thanks,

      Jeff Palmer
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 21, 2006
        The DAM by itself should be enough insulation under you but you will
        be warmer if you add side or "wing" insulation. You can stuff clothing
        along your sides or place a wide CCF pad under your DAM. Ed's SPE
        (Segmented Pad Extender) is a great way to hold side insulation in
        place.

        Steve
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 21, 2006
          Steve,

          The SPE works as you say with the 20 inch wide and 2.8 inch thick
          Exped DAM 7s. Ed has a picture of one of the 3/4 length Down Air Mat-
          7s inside a SPE on his web site.

          The Stephenson DAM's have a severe mummy shape which will not work
          with the Speer SPE and are also just too thick. I have one of the
          large Stephenson DAMs (their 70 inch girth model that is 28 inches at
          its widest point, 10 inches at its narrowest points, 80 inches long
          and 4+ inches thick) and all I do is put a small piece of closed cell
          foam (ccf) between it and the hammock fabric to keep it from sliding
          excessively and just sleep on my back. They are very slippery on the
          hammock fabric but they are very warm and plush. The ccf pad I use
          is 10x20 inches and either 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick, its primary purpose
          is for cushioning in my frameless backpack. The ccf pad works best
          located under the tush area between the DAM and the hammock and works
          wonders as a flexible frame inside the inflation sack when you are
          pumping air in the DAM. Mine is thick enough to effect the stability
          of my hammock a tad, but I can handle that. That DAM is almost too
          big for my hammock without any extention to it.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood 2000
          co-developer of the Speer SPE

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@...> wrote:

          > The DAM by itself should be enough insulation under you but you
          will
          > be warmer if you add side or "wing" insulation. You can stuff
          clothing
          > along your sides or place a wide CCF pad under your DAM. Ed's SPE
          > (Segmented Pad Extender) is a great way to hold side insulation in
          > place.
          >
          > Steve

        • Jeff Palmer
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 21, 2006
            I've considered putting a silnylon shell around my Speer hammock as
            in the following site. http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/HammockInsulator/
            Insulator.htm

            Once I have the shell on I would put the D.A.M. between the two
            layers. Has anyone tried this, and if so how well does it work?

            Jeff

            On Dec 21, 2006, at 3:48 PM, Dave Womble wrote:

            > Steve,
            >
            > The SPE works as you say with the 20 inch wide and 2.8 inch thick
            > Exped DAM 7s. Ed has a picture of one of the 3/4 length Down Air Mat-
            > 7s inside a SPE on his web site.
            >
            > The Stephenson DAM's have a severe mummy shape which will not work
            > with the Speer SPE and are also just too thick. I have one of the
            > large Stephenson DAMs (their 70 inch girth model that is 28 inches at
            > its widest point, 10 inches at its narrowest points, 80 inches long
            > and 4+ inches thick) and all I do is put a small piece of closed cell
            > foam (ccf) between it and the hammock fabric to keep it from sliding
            > excessively and just sleep on my back. They are very slippery on the
            > hammock fabric but they are very warm and plush. The ccf pad I use
            > is 10x20 inches and either 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick, its primary purpose
            > is for cushioning in my frameless backpack. The ccf pad works best
            > located under the tush area between the DAM and the hammock and works
            > wonders as a flexible frame inside the inflation sack when you are
            > pumping air in the DAM. Mine is thick enough to effect the stability
            > of my hammock a tad, but I can handle that. That DAM is almost too
            > big for my hammock without any extention to it.
            >
            > Dave Womble
            > aka Youngblood 2000
            > co-developer of the Speer SPE

          • natesdenn71
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 22, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Palmer <japalmer@...> wrote:

              > I've considered putting a silnylon shell around my Speer hammock as
              > in the following site. http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/HammockInsulator/
              > Insulator.htm

              I have done something similiar and actually got to try it out this
              week. I modified my backpacker poncho to work as a wind shell for the
              underside of my hammock. My cold weather sleep system consists of my
              20F slumberjack bag, poncho and CCF pad for backup which also
              functions as a frame for my gossamer gear G4. I had a local
              seamstress modify my slumberjack bag by putting in a zippered foot
              vent. THis vent allows me to pass the hammock ropes through the
              sleeping bag. My bag does have some cinch straps around the torso
              and head area that allow the bag to get a little closer to the hammock.

              I was up near Cadillac MI earlier this week with temps at night around
              15F. I only used the poncho and sleeping bag set up. I was nice and
              toasty. I was wearing long johns, fleece pants, a military expedition
              weight poly pro pull over, and a thin poly pro balaclava with stocking
              cap. The only addition to clothing at night was the fleece pants,
              pull over and stocking cap.

              There was a little bit of frost on the inside of the poncho. It wasnt
              enough to worry about. I suppose if it got really cold I could have
              put some leaves or trash bags filled with air in the poncho.
            • jonas4321
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 22, 2006
                Jeff-

                I have the 70 inch girth Stephenson's DAM (the one Youngblood has),
                and I did some testing with it before I spent a few nights in the
                Adirondacks last winter.

                I agree that using it inside the hammock makes you ride noticeably
                higher in the hammock (mine is a ZHammock, a double-bottom
                Speer-type), but I am careful and had no problems with tipping.

                I made my own version of a pad extender with wings (see the pics under
                Jonas4321 in the Photos section). It has 3 wings along each side, and
                I used a thin 1/4 inch CCF pad underneath the DAM. The wings were 3/8
                inch CCF.

                This whole setup is pretty heavy (I used some nylon supplex fabric I
                had lying around to make the pad extender - if I did it all over
                again, I would use some 1.1oz/yd ripstop nylon), so I am rethinking my
                setup.

                This configuration, with me inside a fleece bag inside of a 25 degree
                synthetic bag, was warm and comfy at -1 degrees F inside a detached
                garage, and plenty warm at 10 degrees F in a fairly breezy night last
                winter in the Adirondacks. I was too warm on the previous night
                outdoors at 30 degrees - I had to open up the sleeping bags.

                My current plans are to ditch the pad extender and go with two
                interlocked CCF pads between the bottom layers of my ZHammock, with
                the DAM inside the hammock with me. I am also making what I term a
                spindrift tube (others refer to it as a hammock sock), which will be
                of 1.1oz uncoated ripstop with drawstrings at each end. While I don't
                know how much extra insulation this tube will provide, it's really to
                keep the blowing snow off my sleeping bag, which happened last year.
                Unless Santa is very good to me, the sleeping bags will be the same
                ones as last year.

                I found some VERY lightweight 3/8 inch CCF pads made by Swiss Army at
                K-Mart. I am going to put some slits along one of the long sides of
                each of them and then interlock the two to create a wider pad (I saw
                that on a post somewhere and it looked like a great idea). These pads
                are sort of tacky feeling, so maybe they will just be inside the
                hammock with me and the DAM, I don't know yet if they will stay put or
                not. These will replace the pad extender, 1/4 inch CCF pad and wings.

                I like the idea of the DAM and the CCF pads, because while it is bulky
                and the DAM is a chore to inflate, it is lightweight and I can use
                both to go to ground if needed. It is also a lot of lofted and
                closed-cell insulation underneath me.

                Good luck, and test your gear out!

                Jonas