Forrest Mounteering, Ltd Hammock

  • Ed Speer <info@speerhammocks.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2003
      I just met a new hammock user today and he loaned me his 15-year-old
      hammock to see what I think of it. It was made by Forrest
      Mounteering, Ltd of Denver CO, which is apparently now out of
      business. It is a single-point hammock!--it hangs from one central
      point and 6 straps attach to the hammock sides for support. It
      cradles your body somewhat like a full-body sling. It comes with a
      seperate rain cover and all stuffs into a small bag. Sold originally
      to rock climbers for sleeping on rock walls; since displaced by the
      portaledges (metal-frame stretched hammocks; good, but too heavy for
      backpacking). The Forrest hammock is light weight enough to be
      suitable for backpacking; especiall if made out of the newer nylon
      fabrics! (I'm going to try it--will let you know how it goes).
      Weight of original: Hammock--1.9 lbs; Rain cover--1.4 lb. I suspect I
      can make one under 1.5 lbs!

      Does anyone recognize this hammock or anything similar? I don't think
      it's still being made....Ed
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 16, 2003
        GO ED! GO!!!

        I've been daydreaming about single point hammocks for a year
        now. Keep us posted.

        Bear

      • Don Ladigin <dladigin@backpacker.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 16, 2003
          "Ed Speer <info@s...>" <info@s...> wrote:
          > I just met a new hammock user today and he loaned me his 15-year-
          >old
          > hammock to see what I think of it. It was made by Forrest
          > Mounteering, Ltd of Denver CO, which is apparently now out of
          > business. It is a single-point hammock!--it hangs from one central
          > point and 6 straps attach to the hammock sides for support. It
          > cradles your body somewhat like a full-body sling. It comes with a
          > seperate rain cover and all stuffs into a small bag. ..........
          > .........The Forrest hammock is light weight enough to be
          > suitable for backpacking; especiall if made out of the newer nylon
          > fabrics! (I'm going to try it--will let you know how it goes).
          > Weight of original: Hammock--1.9 lbs; Rain cover--1.4 lb. I suspect
          > can make one under 1.5 lbs!
          >
          > Does anyone recognize this hammock or anything similar? I don't
          think
          > it's still being made....Ed

          Ed,

          Forrest Mountaineering was still making rock climbing stuff in 1999,
          so they may still be in business. They had novel and cutting-edge-of-
          progress products for climbers back when hammocks were common
          bivouacs for big-wall multi-day Yosemite climbs.

          Their address is (was?) Forrest Mountaineering 840 Bannock St,
          Denver, CO Best, Don L.
        • Ed Speer <info@speerhammocks.com>
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2003
            My test of this single point suspension hammock left a bit to be
            desired. The hammock hangs from 6 straps (3 on each side) which join
            at a common point above the hammock; here the straps connect to a
            single rope that is attached to an overhead tree limb--thus the
            hammock hangs from a single rope! It hangs level and supports the
            body well; the otherwise excessive twisting or rotating can easily be
            controled by 2 shock cord guidelines staked to the ground.

            To compensate for shoulder squeeze, 3 spreader bars are installed
            above the hammock between each pair of corresponding straps.
            Unfortunately this was only partly successful--enough shoulder/body
            squeeze remained to make multi-hour use of the hammock uncomfortable.
            I only survived a few hours before retreating to the comfort of my
            regular hammock.

            However, I'm interested enough to try and modify the design to
            provide sufficient comfort--something I hope to work on later this
            year...Ed