Mosquito Proofing

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
      I have a HH asym, and have only had it along on a camping trip one
      time. That was in the Minnesota Boundary Waters. On the one night I
      tried it (warm, muggy), I was driven into a tent by mosquitos biting
      through the hammock. Any suggestions for dealing with this? I was
      hoping to sleep in the hammock with nothing but a light blanket over me
      and nothing under. Clearly that didn't work.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
          Hi Chuck,

          I've got the HH Expedition Asym, which is probably the model you have. The
          weave of the material is coarser than their lighter weight hammocks and thus
          allows the mosquitos (or as we call them "swamp angels") to bite thru it. I
          have heard the tighter weave stops them but I have no experience personally.
          As for my hammock, I treated it with Sawyer® Permethrin Premium Insect
          Repellent Aerosol Spray and that seemed to work. Others on the forum claim
          good results with Permethrin. I have been comfortable on my 3/4 Thermarest
          in the hammock so I'm not a good test of the spray, but I don't think I got
          any bites on places that were not on the pad.

          Cheers,

          Carey

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 21, 2006
            I second this suggestion. I had to spray the bottom of my HH Asym
            just to try it out in the backyard last summer.

            Ed M