Re: Weekend experiments

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 18, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F \(GE Indust,
      Security\)" <david.chinell@...> wrote:

      > Some weekend experiments I wanted to share with you.
      >
      > First, I confirmed a suspicion that a sufficiently thick metal
      ladder buckle would work to adjust 1-inch webbing. I used P/N 361T71
      from http://www.mcmaster.com/. This is a nicely-stamped ladder buckle
      about 1/8-inch thick.

      > I threaded it on my webbing, ran the webbing through my hammock
      ring, then ran the webbing back through the buckle. Just like you'd do
      for any other webbing adjustment.

      > I sat gingerly down, then bounced up and down. No slippage.
      >
      > So that's a quick, simple, knotless adjustment method that requires
      very little gear.

      > Second, I picked up a 150-foot roll of Arborbrace tree staking
      webbing some time ago, and just now got around to trying it out. It's
      a nice green color, 3/4-inch wide, polypropylene, with a 900 pound
      breaking strength. (I tried "Arbortie" but this has a loose edge that
      catches and pulls on bark too readily).

      > http://www.treestaking.com/webbing.htm
      >
      > The Arborbrace webbing works just fine. Since it's only 3/4-inches
      wide, I just tied it to my hammock ring, rather than trying to use any
      buckles.

      > Finally, I tried out two new tab positions for the bottom edge of my
      "Dream Hammock" design. I find that two pairs of tabs, each 18 inches
      away from the center of the webbing, works pretty well. The shock cord
      that runs under your knees can be left hooked up, and the shock cord
      under your shoulders is easy enough to reach to attach and release for
      getting in and out.

      > There were no positions that made a gap between the hammock body,
      and the netting no longer tended to drape against my face.

      > Bear

      I like your buckle idea since I always seem to have to re-tie make
      adjustments. I had some 12' lashing straps for my canoe (basically
      just 1" polyester webbing attached to a nonslip cam buckle).
      Unfortunately I can only find one. I ordered some more (only 99 cents
      at harborfreight.com), should be a cheap, adjustable solution for the
      hammock I am making (my first), I am anxious to try them out. Thanks
      for the idea.
      -SteveD