Wal Mart Fabric Department Closing?

  • jonas4321
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2006
      I was in a local Super Center that had just opened, scoping out the
      fabric dept. for ripstop as usual (the only reason to GO into a Wal
      Mart imo, but that's another thread). The gentleman that was working
      there told me that Wal Mart had decided to eliminate the Fabric
      departments in all Wal Mart stores.

      I asked another clerk in a different store the next day, and she
      verified what he had said. According to what she had been told by her
      management, it would be 3 to 6 months before they were eliminated, but
      that was indeed the plan. They were not making enough money, one of
      them said.

      Both of them gave me the same advice - if I wanted to complain, I
      should call 1-800-WAL-MART and make some noise. I have not done that
      yet, but probably will.

      Would some of you ask in your local stores? If this is true, that is
      bad news for many people, I am sure (us hammockers aside). I know I
      always see people in the fabric department buying $1 and $2/yard
      material for what I can only assume is a way for them to make their
      own clothes and make ends meet. Guess they will instead have to buy
      the clothes made in far east sweatshops that are hanging on the racks
      30 yards down the aisle.

      Jonas
    • Craig Dunn
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2006
        I worked for Wal-Hell for 2 years and yes that is probably correct, they also, as most people
        know will no longer have Layaway either. You can go to walmartsucks.com and read the
        post. That site is a meca for rumor control and most of the rumor is true to form on that site
        concerning Wal-Hell and all associates

        jonas4321 <jonas4321@...> wrote:
[...]

      • RevT
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2006
          I believe that information about the layaway is wrong

          Walmart will still have a layaway. Now you just have to do it online.
          They were holding too much stock in the back. Instead you go online,
          pick what you want, make your payments, then when you get down to the
          final few payments, they pull the stock.

          I'll ask about the fabric section as well...

          Brian

          > I worked for Wal-Hell for 2 years and yes that is probably correct, they also, as most people
          > know will no longer have Layaway either. You can go to walmartsucks.com and read the
          > post. That site is a meca for rumor control and most of the rumor is true to form on that site
          > concerning Wal-Hell and all associates

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 17, 2006
            I asked in the Pocatello, Idaho Store and got a blank look and no.

            Then I hurried and bought 12 yards of green ripstop.
            Ralph Oborn