RE: [Hammock Camping] Freeze dried beer

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
      But if you are cooking with everclear ...

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2006
        I found something on sportsmansguide.com yesterday that may help us all with carrying beer on backpacking trips. Imagine a camelback that is designed to fit across your belly instead of your back! It is just like a camelback in theory but fits to look like you have a big belly. It was designed, I think, to sneak lots of beer (80oz.) into sporting events. This isnt freeze dried but you would save some weight of the cans or bottles. When empty you could fill it with water! CHEERS!

        Nate

        -Nate

        Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
        -John Muir

      • q1eagle
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2006
          Powdered Alcohol
          http://outhouserag.typepad.com/gizmos/2006/04/powdered_alcoho.html

          Powdered Alcohol

          Alcohol_pops There's a new product being sold on the internet and it's
          creating quite a stir in Europe. A German company called subyou
          (http://www.subyou.de/) has managed to manufacture Alcohol (the
          drinking variety) in powdered format (see pic) which it sells over the
          internet.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Denn <natesdenn71@...>
          wrote:

          > I found something on sportsmansguide.com yesterday that may help us
          all with carrying beer on backpacking trips. Imagine a camelback that
          is designed to fit across your belly instead of your back! It is just
          like a camelback in theory but fits to look like you have a big belly.
          It was designed, I think, to sneak lots of beer (80oz.) into sporting
          events. This isnt freeze dried but you would save some weight of the
          cans or bottles. When empty you could fill it with water! CHEERS!

          > Nate
          >

          > -Nate
          >
          > Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are
          beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that
          wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful
          not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as
          fountains of life.
          > -John Muir

        • Brian Lewis
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 2006
            I appreciated the pointer to powdered alcohol.
            Catch: I went to the german website (subyou.com) and couldn't find
            anywhere on it to actually order the product …

            Maybe I'm just missing something, but I also googled some basic terms
            (alkohol pulver [ver]kauf, etc) and didn't come up with any actual
            sales sites, in german or english.

            Seems like an interesting idea, anyway!

            Last year I switched to an alcohol stove, and like most folks I
            think, I use cheaper and more readily available denatured
            alcohol "mostly", but my reserve fuel supply is everclear (or
            actually, a competitor, same thing, different brand name). Took
            this along on a couple of long hikes this year, and towards the end
            of the hike --- if it's obvious that the reserve supply of fuel won't
            be needed --- mix up some "dehydrated wine", one recipe for which can
            be found here:
            http://www.ultralight-hiking.com/recipes.html

            One catch I found living in Washington State is that my state
            government kindly tries to protect me from whatever stupidity I might
            get into with pure alcohol --- by not letting me buy it. I think
            nine states do this. Fortunately, I suspect that most or all of
            these less enlightened states border on less restrictive states, and
            we don't have any internal border control points setup yet, so ... <g>

            Brian