Re: [Hammock Camping] Freeze dried beer

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
      Does such a marvelous thing already exist?

      Hmm, note no alcohol..... :]

      Sounds like a barley water to me.

      Ralph

    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
        But if you are cooking with everclear ...

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2006
          I found something on sportsmansguide.com yesterday that may help us all with carrying beer on backpacking trips. Imagine a camelback that is designed to fit across your belly instead of your back! It is just like a camelback in theory but fits to look like you have a big belly. It was designed, I think, to sneak lots of beer (80oz.) into sporting events. This isnt freeze dried but you would save some weight of the cans or bottles. When empty you could fill it with water! CHEERS!

          Nate

          -Nate

          Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
          -John Muir

        • q1eagle
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 12, 2006
            Powdered Alcohol
            http://outhouserag.typepad.com/gizmos/2006/04/powdered_alcoho.html

            Powdered Alcohol

            Alcohol_pops There's a new product being sold on the internet and it's
            creating quite a stir in Europe. A German company called subyou
            (http://www.subyou.de/) has managed to manufacture Alcohol (the
            drinking variety) in powdered format (see pic) which it sells over the
            internet.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Denn <natesdenn71@...>
            wrote:

            > I found something on sportsmansguide.com yesterday that may help us
            all with carrying beer on backpacking trips. Imagine a camelback that
            is designed to fit across your belly instead of your back! It is just
            like a camelback in theory but fits to look like you have a big belly.
            It was designed, I think, to sneak lots of beer (80oz.) into sporting
            events. This isnt freeze dried but you would save some weight of the
            cans or bottles. When empty you could fill it with water! CHEERS!

            > Nate
            >

            > -Nate
            >
            > Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are
            beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that
            wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful
            not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as
            fountains of life.
            > -John Muir

          • Brian Lewis
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2006
              I appreciated the pointer to powdered alcohol.
              Catch: I went to the german website (subyou.com) and couldn't find
              anywhere on it to actually order the product …

              Maybe I'm just missing something, but I also googled some basic terms
              (alkohol pulver [ver]kauf, etc) and didn't come up with any actual
              sales sites, in german or english.

              Seems like an interesting idea, anyway!

              Last year I switched to an alcohol stove, and like most folks I
              think, I use cheaper and more readily available denatured
              alcohol "mostly", but my reserve fuel supply is everclear (or
              actually, a competitor, same thing, different brand name). Took
              this along on a couple of long hikes this year, and towards the end
              of the hike --- if it's obvious that the reserve supply of fuel won't
              be needed --- mix up some "dehydrated wine", one recipe for which can
              be found here:
              http://www.ultralight-hiking.com/recipes.html

              One catch I found living in Washington State is that my state
              government kindly tries to protect me from whatever stupidity I might
              get into with pure alcohol --- by not letting me buy it. I think
              nine states do this. Fortunately, I suspect that most or all of
              these less enlightened states border on less restrictive states, and
              we don't have any internal border control points setup yet, so ... <g>

              Brian