Freeze dried beer

  • Jeff Ross
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
      Has anybody ever heard of freeze dried (or otherwise dehydrated) beer?
      After a long hot hike a cold beer would sure hit the spot.

      Open a package, pull out a tea bag and a plastic wrapper. Fill your
      cup with water, crush a pellet inside the bag that contains a magic
      chemical that gets real cold, wrap that around your cup and dunk the
      tea bag in it. Wait a minute or two and presto! you have a cold beer.

      Does such a marvelous thing already exist?
    • Steven Lazarus
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
        at last, a subject i can get really interested in!!!

        > Has anybody ever heard of freeze dried (or otherwise dehydrated) beer?
        > After a long hot hike a cold beer would sure hit the spot.
        >
        > Open a package, pull out a tea bag and a plastic wrapper. Fill your
        > cup with water, crush a pellet inside the bag that contains a magic
        > chemical that gets real cold, wrap that around your cup and dunk the
        > tea bag in it. Wait a minute or two and presto! you have a cold beer.
        >
        > Does such a marvelous thing already exist?

        ----- End Original Message -----
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
          Does such a marvelous thing already exist?

          Hmm, note no alcohol..... :]

          Sounds like a barley water to me.

          Ralph

        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
            But if you are cooking with everclear ...

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 12, 2006
              I found something on sportsmansguide.com yesterday that may help us all with carrying beer on backpacking trips. Imagine a camelback that is designed to fit across your belly instead of your back! It is just like a camelback in theory but fits to look like you have a big belly. It was designed, I think, to sneak lots of beer (80oz.) into sporting events. This isnt freeze dried but you would save some weight of the cans or bottles. When empty you could fill it with water! CHEERS!

              Nate

              -Nate

              Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
              -John Muir

            • q1eagle
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 12, 2006
                Powdered Alcohol
                http://outhouserag.typepad.com/gizmos/2006/04/powdered_alcoho.html

                Powdered Alcohol

                Alcohol_pops There's a new product being sold on the internet and it's
                creating quite a stir in Europe. A German company called subyou
                (http://www.subyou.de/) has managed to manufacture Alcohol (the
                drinking variety) in powdered format (see pic) which it sells over the
                internet.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Denn <natesdenn71@...>
                wrote:

                > I found something on sportsmansguide.com yesterday that may help us
                all with carrying beer on backpacking trips. Imagine a camelback that
                is designed to fit across your belly instead of your back! It is just
                like a camelback in theory but fits to look like you have a big belly.
                It was designed, I think, to sneak lots of beer (80oz.) into sporting
                events. This isnt freeze dried but you would save some weight of the
                cans or bottles. When empty you could fill it with water! CHEERS!

                > Nate
                >

                > -Nate
                >
                > Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are
                beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that
                wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful
                not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as
                fountains of life.
                > -John Muir

              • Brian Lewis
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 13, 2006
                  I appreciated the pointer to powdered alcohol.
                  Catch: I went to the german website (subyou.com) and couldn't find
                  anywhere on it to actually order the product …

                  Maybe I'm just missing something, but I also googled some basic terms
                  (alkohol pulver [ver]kauf, etc) and didn't come up with any actual
                  sales sites, in german or english.

                  Seems like an interesting idea, anyway!

                  Last year I switched to an alcohol stove, and like most folks I
                  think, I use cheaper and more readily available denatured
                  alcohol "mostly", but my reserve fuel supply is everclear (or
                  actually, a competitor, same thing, different brand name). Took
                  this along on a couple of long hikes this year, and towards the end
                  of the hike --- if it's obvious that the reserve supply of fuel won't
                  be needed --- mix up some "dehydrated wine", one recipe for which can
                  be found here:
                  http://www.ultralight-hiking.com/recipes.html

                  One catch I found living in Washington State is that my state
                  government kindly tries to protect me from whatever stupidity I might
                  get into with pure alcohol --- by not letting me buy it. I think
                  nine states do this. Fortunately, I suspect that most or all of
                  these less enlightened states border on less restrictive states, and
                  we don't have any internal border control points setup yet, so ... <g>

                  Brian