Re: [Hammock Camping] Just thinking

  • CC Wayah
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 10, 2006
      There has been discussion about the under hammock insulation under quilt
      problem of not clinging to the hammock causing air pockets.
      I'm wondering if you put small elastic cording crosswise under the hammock
      hooked only on the long side of the hammock and use what they call quilting
      tacs or small ties every so often to the elastic cords to keep things
      together to prevent air pockets with your down unequal IT would be like a
      stretchy netting hooked to the inside of your down under so it pulls the
      quilt snuggly under your hammock with hopefully no air pockets between?
      Just thinking how to solve this issue before making a under quilt my self.
      Any suggestions or objections. Did I describe this properly to visualize
      the idea? Think of the old stretchy hairnets waitresses wear as the source
      of this quite possibly loony idea.

      CCWayah

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 10, 2006

          > no, not a loony idea. i`ve give a lot of thought to similar ideas, either
          > using crisscrossing small elastic cord or maybe better yet, having a strip
          > of stretchy fabric along the full length of both sides to keep the
          > insulation snug against the hammock.
          > the thing is that if it`s not done in a way that`s adjustable, you`ll
          > still compress the insulation.

          one of these days I'll try it with a cheep string mesh hammock.???? to hold
          the insulation up?

          Ralph

        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 10, 2006
            The trick is to hold it up from above. You have to suspend the thing that
            contains the down from the top so it can hang on the baffles and give the
            dowm the 2.5 inches of loft or whatever the device is designed for. If you
            hold it up from the bottom you'll smoosh it against the hammock, especially
            in places where you are lying. What we need is a down quilt with channels
            along the baffle lines, and gaps in those channels so we can thread the
            elastic lines running the other way thru them. Then the elastic will stay
            against the hammock, the top of the quilt against the hammock, and the down
            will have it's desired loft. The added weight will be the elastic, which
            actuall could be light line with a bit of elastic on the end.

            I think.

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 10, 2006
                I'm not sure elastic needs to run all the way across the underquilt.
                I've thought about putting a ~12" piece of lightweight elastic to the
                top layer of my JRB Nest. Just stitching it right to the outer piece
                of the black fabric right about where my knees are, since that's
                really the only place I've had problems. I think that's all it would
                take, at least for that design.

                One plan would be to make it a bathtub shape like the KAQ, with darts
                on the outer shell and a bit of a cat cut under the knees. Maybe a
                strip of elastic on the inner shell, perpendicular to the cat cut, to
                snug it up even better.

                Jeff
              • CC Wayah
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 10, 2006
                  Thanks
                  I see I am on the right track.
                  Yes my idea is to only put the quilted ties through the surface fabric` that
                  mates with the hammock allowing the baffles to hang freely.
                  I do like the stretchy fabric strip idea too one down the middle length wise
                  and one on each of the sides with some cross ties perpendicular to the
                  stretchy fabric.
                  That should tighten it up and allow for when moving about.

                  Full Channels is not that necessary if you put in small belt type loupes
                  spaced across the hammock when you find a spot that needs an extra loop just
                  add it where it's needed and thread the elastic through????

                  Or if perhaps the inside baffle was stretchy material only with no extra
                  layer of fabric???

                  L:ike this hammock fabric
                  stretch baffle fabric with the ties for the horizontal elastic
                  The outer layer made of DRW type fabric and the possibility of adding a
                  layer of Mylar between the baffles and the hammock????
                  Tube baffles sewn to each other not the bottom layer so there's no stitching
                  for air to flow through. This would take less fabric???
                  when leaving out two outer layers on the quilt.
                  if possible. Draw back is that you must protect the inside baffles from
                  abrasion and it might not be as down proof.
                  Still just thinking.
                  CCWayah
                  .

                  > your right... that`s why i`m working on making a proto-type of an idea
                  i`ve been thinking about for a while. but i`m not ready to try to explain
                  it right now. it would be better to see if it works for me, then show it
                  in pictures.

                  > Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote: The trick is to hold it up from
                  above. You have to suspend the thing that
                  > contains the down from the top so it can hang on the baffles and give the
                  > dowm the 2.5 inches of loft or whatever the device is designed for. If you
                  > hold it up from the bottom you'll smoosh it against the hammock,
                  especially
                  > in places where you are lying. What we need is a down quilt with channels
                  > along the baffle lines, and gaps in those channels so we can thread the
                  > elastic lines running the other way thru them. Then the elastic will stay
                  > against the hammock, the top of the quilt against the hammock, and the
                  down
                  > will have it's desired loft. The added weight will be the elastic, which
                  > actuall could be light line with a bit of elastic on the end.
                  >
                  > I think.

                  > .

                • gordon_human
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "CC Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks
                    > I see I am on the right track.
                    > Yes my idea is to only put the quilted ties through the surface
                    fabric` that
                    > mates with the hammock allowing the baffles to hang freely.

                    I'm thinking of two alternatives for my hammock (in the planning stage):

                    1. Use strips of velcro running across the width of the underside of
                    the hammock to suspend the insulation from the top, or
                    2. Creating pockets under the hammock across the width (like a
                    parafoil) in which to insert "sausage" tubes (rectangular x-section)
                    of down-filled insulation.

                    Any thoughts?

                    Gordon
                  • ptoddf
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                      Good comments on bottom quilt design. I made one a couple years ago
                      using a synthetic blanket material (Not PL) in a bathtub (canoe) shape
                      and it was pretty successful. My conclusions were that air pockets were
                      not a big problem, in fact, trying to eliminate them completely does
                      lead to compression somewhere, a far worse problem.

                      The problem is different body positions in the hammock. You have to
                      have the bottom quilt pretty loose and free to accomodate these. A
                      tight, light and efficient quilt for straight back sleeping may not do
                      this. I saw this in the early stages when the canoe/syn bottom quilt
                      was just pinned up and either tied on or tacked to the hammock edges.
                      Very difficult!

                      Ed Speers PeaPod seems to avoid most of these problems, and I know
                      there are some small air pockets with certain postures and conditions.
                      But it's only if I hang too low, or the supports stretch a bit and I
                      touch the ground however lightly that I feel a cold spot.

                      Best, Todd in CC.
                    • ptoddf
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                        Here's a few more comments from my experience that might help a
                        little bit, since some are actively making syn bottom quilts:

                        I found that the heavier weight of the syn material, unless it's a
                        very thin blanket, weighs on the cords or elastics on the edges
                        supporting the quilt quite noticeably. (For a canoe shape of course.)
                        This leads to the user tightening these edge supports and this causes
                        a squeeze in the hammock. I then sewed the quilt to the hammock
                        edges, and this was helpful. I was going to put in adustable edge
                        cords, but never got around to it. This is where I realized that some
                        looseness and a toleration for some air pockets was a good thing.

                        I believe that the lightness of down is pretty essential to hammock
                        bottom quilts, especially since the area to be insulated is large,
                        much larger than a tight mummy bag for example.

                        My guess was that making down channels with the upper part of the
                        channel the hammock body itself could work. I was speculating that
                        longitudinal channels, the long way along the hammock, might work.
                        The problem here is sewing through the hammock body. This can cause
                        fatal weaknesses, a big rip in the middle of a freezing night.
                        Disaster!

                        Would those double sided tapes used in sail making work to attach the
                        baffles? I don't know. I went with the PeaPod, which, though heavier
                        than I'd really like, does work, and it's here now. Hopefully lighter
                        solutions will evolve in time -- with the creativity of you all!

                        Best, Todd in CC.
                      • CC Wayah
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                          Gordon,
                          The idea is to have no stitching through the hammock surface that will
                          weaken the fabric
                          and cause rips or holes.

                          > 1. Use strips of velcro running across the width of the underside of the
                          hammock to suspend the insulation from the top.

                          How would you attach the velcro? It will weaken the fabric if you sew into
                          your hammock adn it won't stretch the same as the hammock fabric causing
                          problems with stiching and holes.

                          I;m tryign to guess that elastic only sewn to the edges ..scratch that!...
                          Hold on better idea is to sew the elastic sort of taught to the top of the
                          under quilt or baffles crosswise so it adhears well to the elastic and have
                          a clip or button type system to the elestic end to the long wise edges of
                          the hammock a seperasting zipper might work for this but adds a lot of
                          weight. This would make it easy to insert a mylar layer between the quilt
                          and hammock. You only need your down over the surface area of your body??
                          so you could just have the baflles in this area saving some weight and
                          down??? .
                          I'd have to test this theroy though to partialy cover the hammock with down
                          where the body lies, nothing like cold spots.

                          2. Creating pockets under the hammock across the width (like a parafoil)
                          in which to insert "sausage" tubes (rectangular x-section)
                          of down-filled insulation.
                          >Again do not stich through your hammock or else it will evetualy rip or
                          become full of large holes. If you can do this without stiching through the
                          hammock more power to you and let me know how you figure this one out!.

                          Any thoughts?
                          Ya lots of thoughts,
                          some plain don't work!
                          but other's do. Pickin' other's brains helps
                          a lot.
                          Keep talkin' and we'll get this working smoothly someday.
                          ALL objections guaranteed to be welcome too.
                          One thing the outer bottum layer of the quilt will have to be cut a bit
                          larger to accomidate the cruves and stretch of the hammock and baffles but
                          by how much? Just like a well made sleeping bag with the inner layer a bit
                          smaller than the outer.
                          I do love the science of surface areas but my math is on the rustly side.
                          .
                          CCWayah
                        • Jeff
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "CC Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

                            > >Again do not stich through your hammock or else it will evetualy
                            rip or
                            > become full of large holes.

                            Are you sure? I wonder how long Risk has been using his down
                            hammock. I've only got a handful of nights in my insulated models so
                            they're probably not good test cases. I think it depends on the
                            construction, though...I haven't had an insulated hammock rip on me
                            yet.

                            Jeff
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                              Probably somewhere 100 nights in hammocks with Z stitching. No tearing
                              yet.

                              Risk

                              Jeff wrote:
                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "CC Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:
                              >>> Again do not stich through your hammock or else it will evetualy
                              > rip or
                              >> become full of large holes.
                              >
                              > Are you sure? I wonder how long Risk has been using his down
                              > hammock. I've only got a handful of nights in my insulated models so
                              > they're probably not good test cases. I think it depends on the
                              > construction, though...I haven't had an insulated hammock rip on me
                              > yet.
                              >
                              > Jeff

                              Walk Well!

                              Rick (Risk)

                              *********************************
                              http://www.imrisk.com
                              author of
                              A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                              www.wayahpress.com
                              *********************************
                            • CC Wayah
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                                Yes I am sure.
                                I did say eventually!
                                And if when I take the time and money to make a down underquilt I don't want
                                to have my hammock to come apart prematurely.

                                One hundred hours in a hammock is
                                just a smidge over 12 and 1/2 eight hour nights. Some have hundreds of hours
                                in their hammocks and know it would not hold up with stitches in the body as
                                some have tested stitched hammocks before.

                                . Knowing something of textiles with weaves threads broken by stitching
                                and abraded with stitch threads it's best to not tempt a dump on the ground.
                                BTW I broke a pinky finger from being dumped from a hammock so don't want to
                                do that again. Two pins two surgeries months of physical therapy on 60% pay
                                with short term disability is not fun not alone uncle arthuritis moving in
                                permanently.

                                CCWayah
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                                  the way i found to keep the synthetic insulation snug against the bottom of the hammock was to quilt it every 8 or 10 inches, using quilting loops almost as big as the insulation is thick.
                                  this alows for some streching w/ very little compression of the insulation.
                                  the outter shell doesn`t need to be as snug, but you can quilt it also to keep it from hanging to low, but i quilted the shell to the insulation w/ seperrate quilting loops from those used to hold the insulation to the bottom of the hammock. ...tim

                                  .

                                • Johan van Dijk
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                                    fishing net so it is multi functional or is that poaching...depending on
                                    laws? it might be an interesting thing to try...

                                    Grtz Joan

                                    On 12/10/06, Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                                    > On 12/10/06, tim garner <slowhike@... <slowhike%40yahoo.com>>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > no, not a loony idea. i`ve give a lot of thought to similar ideas,
                                    > either
                                    > > using crisscrossing small elastic cord or maybe better yet, having a
                                    > strip
                                    > > of stretchy fabric along the full length of both sides to keep the
                                    > > insulation snug against the hammock.
                                    > > the thing is that if it`s not done in a way that`s adjustable, you`ll
                                    > > still compress the insulation.
                                    > >

                                    > one of these days I'll try it with a cheep string mesh hammock.???? to
                                    > hold
                                    > the insulation up?
                                    >
                                    > Ralph

                                    mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
                                    email: gonewalkabout2003@...

                                    http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
                                    http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

                                  • Bill in Houston
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                                      i'm pretty sure he said 100 NIGHTS, not 100 hours.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                                        i belive your right bill.

                                        Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote: i'm pretty sure he said 100 NIGHTS, not 100 hours.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                                          Sewing velcro strips across a hammock is asking for tears. The problem
                                          is that the velcro will not stretch at the same rate as the nylon. As
                                          the nylon stretches and the velcro does not, the differential can tear
                                          the stitches out of the nylon.

                                          Rick

                                          gordon_human wrote:
                                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "CC Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:
                                          >> Thanks
                                          >> I see I am on the right track.
                                          >> Yes my idea is to only put the quilted ties through the surface
                                          > fabric` that
                                          >> mates with the hammock allowing the baffles to hang freely.
                                          >
                                          > I'm thinking of two alternatives for my hammock (in the planning stage):
                                          >
                                          > 1. Use strips of velcro running across the width of the underside of
                                          > the hammock to suspend the insulation from the top, or
                                          > 2. Creating pockets under the hammock across the width (like a
                                          > parafoil) in which to insert "sausage" tubes (rectangular x-section)
                                          > of down-filled insulation.
                                          >

                                          > Any thoughts?
                                          >
                                          > Gordon

                                          Walk Well!

                                          Rick (Risk)

                                          *********************************
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                                            i belive your right bill.
                                            > i'm pretty sure he said 100 NIGHTS, not 100 hours.

                                            My mistake, sorry.
                                            Still only a little over three months does not equal six years of regular
                                            usage at home and on the trial.

                                            Ive discussed this with Ed at the gatering thsiyear. Our discussion was
                                            baised on doing something to pad my hip bursists so that the padding would
                                            not slide around deleting the benefit of said padding. We also discused
                                            making a donut or sewing/inserting some stretcy fabic at the hip and cutting
                                            out the hammock fabric where the stretcy stuff is.So far not much is
                                            practical for such relief.

                                            One thing that did help was a tryout in Ed's Stevenson's down air mattress.
                                            But it's too heavy and hot for a six month trek adn expensive!

                                            CCWayah.

                                            CcWayah

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 11, 2006
                                                Velcro is heavy.

                                                CL

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Dec 12, 2006
                                                  Funny you should mention that. Wayne, who doesn't frequently post on
                                                  here, did a winter hammock camping trip with me last January and used
                                                  his 7.0 full length Exped DAM with his home made SPE. It did fine
                                                  for him and on that trip. He got on the AT a month or so later and
                                                  was at Hot Springs for Trailfest. I talked to him there and he said
                                                  he had recently replaced the DAM with an uninsulated air mat because
                                                  it was too hot after the weather warmed up (he may have used some
                                                  other light insulation along with the air mat inside his SPE at
                                                  times, I don't recall). I've talked briefly to Wayne since he made
                                                  it home but don't recall if he said what he used for the duration of
                                                  his hike. But after he told me that, I always wondered if the
                                                  partially insulated air mats, like the one Coy just got, would work
                                                  pretty well over a wide range of moderate temperatures in that they
                                                  had insulation good to about 40F on one side and something less than
                                                  that if you flipped them over. (Of course you can stack a closed
                                                  cell foam pad with them to add insulation.)

                                                  I have digressed somewhat here, but just wanted to point out that if
                                                  you need the cushioning of an air mat, you have a wide temperature
                                                  range of available options with down air mats (DAM), partially
                                                  insulated air mats and just plain uninsulated air mats. The ones
                                                  made by POE, Big Agnes and Stephenson WarmLite and not particularly
                                                  heavy and with the DAM's you get a lot of warmth for the weight. The
                                                  thinnest ones are 2.5 inches and the thickest ones are 4.5 inches so
                                                  they are plush and comfortable even on the hardest surfaces. The
                                                  thicker they are, they higher they raise you in a hammock and this
                                                  adversely affects the stability of hammocks, so you have to be
                                                  careful with that. Some hammocks may have a girth or internal volume
                                                  issue with the thicker ones as well. The big ones are almost like
                                                  laying on top of another person.

                                                  Dave

                                                  > cc... have you looked at the big agness mummy air mat w/ no
                                                  insulation? that would be lighter & cooler. they may have a 3/4
                                                  length that would be even lighter. ...tim

                                                  > CC Wayah <ccwayah@...> wrote: .One thing that did help was a
                                                  tryout in Ed's Stevenson's down air mattress.
                                                  > But it's too heavy and hot for a six month trek adn expensive!
                                                  >
                                                  > CCWayah.
                                                  >

                                                  > .
                                                  >

                                                  > .

                                                • CC Wayah
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Dec 12, 2006
                                                    I have a 3/4 length thermarest that doesn't do the job completely..
                                                    Air mattresses don't do it either. Cushion is the problem air mattresses
                                                    get taught under pressure sp pushes on that hip . Seams the combination of
                                                    air supporting the feathers makes the softest bed with lack of pressure
                                                    against the hip bone.
                                                    I'll look into the thinner DAM 3/4 length and see what that does. Thanks.

                                                    CCWayah
                                                  • Sandy Kramer
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Dec 12, 2006
                                                      I slept just fine on six sections of a Z-rest....but changing
                                                      positiong might have been awkward.

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Dec 12, 2006
                                                        I suspect you have already done this, but have you tried laying on an
                                                        air mat while you slowly release the air to see if you could find a
                                                        more comfortable setting? They feel firm and offer the greatest
                                                        warmth when they have maximum inflation, but they offer more
                                                        cushioning when you reduce the inflation a bit. In my experience it
                                                        can make a great deal of difference. That applies to the self
                                                        inflating Thermarest pads as well but you need a pad that is thick
                                                        enough so that it doesn't bottom out before you get it deflated to
                                                        the point that is supports your body more evenly; and it helps if you
                                                        still have enough thickness left to keep you warm.

                                                        I've never used anything but full length air mats so I don't have a
                                                        feel for how much different a 3/4 length one feels. If you are still
                                                        interested in this at the next hammock campers gathering, let me know
                                                        and I will try and remember to bring mine so you can see how they
                                                        feel. I have a 2.8" thick Exped DAM and a 4.5" thick Stephenson
                                                        Warmlite DAM. I have an old 2" thick Thermarest LE that is pretty
                                                        cushy as well, a whole lot more than my old 1.5" thick Thermarest
                                                        Guidelite. The LE used cored foam while the Guidelite used die-cut
                                                        foam, I don't know how much difference the type of foam makes, but I
                                                        have an old solid core 1.5" thick Thermarest Explorer and while it is
                                                        warmer, I don't think it is as cushy as the 1.5" thick Guidelite.

                                                        Dave

                                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "CC Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

                                                        > I have a 3/4 length thermarest that doesn't do the job completely..
                                                        > Air mattresses don't do it either. Cushion is the problem air
                                                        mattresses
                                                        > get taught under pressure sp pushes on that hip . Seams the
                                                        combination of
                                                        > air supporting the feathers makes the softest bed with lack of
                                                        pressure
                                                        > against the hip bone.
                                                        > I'll look into the thinner DAM 3/4 length and see what that does.
                                                        Thanks.

                                                        > CCWayah

                                                      • CC Wayah
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Dec 13, 2006
                                                          Dave
                                                          When is the next Hammock camping French Broad River outing or Springer.
                                                          There's nothing like a test drive."
                                                          CCWayah
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Dec 13, 2006
                                                            The last few years Ed has had those at Trailfest which is sometime in
                                                            April and is also when they have had the Bluff Mountain Music
                                                            Festival, or some name like that where they have blue grass music
                                                            going all day on Saturday. The next gathering will be on NYE at
                                                            Springer Mountain and I'm planning on being there as long as we don't
                                                            run into the teeth of a winter storm.

                                                            Dave