Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Packing your hammock

  • Tom Blum
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
      Pictures!!! We want pictures!!!

      TIA
      Tom
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "David Elliott" <delliott78@...>
      To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 9:44 AM
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Packing your hammock

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
        david... i`ve made two insulated hammocks using a sheet type synthetic insulation simular to what your talking about.
        the way that worked well for me was to start by whiping or tying the hammock ends & hanging it. mabey you could sleep in it or at least lay in it a while to give it a chance to stretch some.
        un-do the ends & sew a sheet of insulation (as long as you want the insulation) to both edges. you would probably want to also sew the outer shell at this time too.
        so as you sew down each of the long edges, you would have three layers... the hammock body, the insulation, & the outer shell.
        the insulation & the outer shell will be wider than needed & only be attached on one side at this point.
        retie or whip the hammock ends & hang it again.
        then add two or more pads, side by side, inside the hammock & fill it w/ pillows, blankets, etc, to fully strech it.
        at this point you will have a sheet of insulation & a length of outter shell hanging freely from the top edges on each side.
        throw the outter shell material from both sides, inside the hammock to get them out of the way.
        bring the insulation together in the center, under the botom of the hammock & pin it.
        cut away the excess insulation, leaving a little extera to account for the hammock body continuing to strech & hand sew the two sides together. it will look a little like a canoe.
        do the same w/ the shell.
        the two hammocks i made this way are still in use. ...tim

        David Elliott <delliott78@...> wrote:
        Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
        that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home. I
        .

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
          Hi CC,

          When you get ready to make your next G4, check out

          where folks who have made or are making a G4 can ask questions and share
          ideas. Glen, the original designer of the pack is there too, and will help
          with questions like that.

          Cheers,

          Carey

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
            Lindy,
            Here's a websight you might be interested in joining about the G-4 pack.
            Yes I haven't fogotten you. It's in my closet just about ready to go. Push
            me and I might get it out this week. OK
            I found soemmore of the fabric tosen dalong with the pattern. I knew I had
            more around here somewhere!

            Rogene

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
              JF-

              To pack up my hammock, I first close the Snakeskins, then untie one end and wrap it around my arm, hand to elbow until I get to the second tree, and finish untie-ing the hammock. I wrap the lines around the hammock bundle to hold it together and slide it down the side of my pack, opposite the side with my water bladder. I can reach the hammock more easily than if it were in the bottom of my pack.

              Cheers!

              Rosaleen

              Packing your hammock
              Posted by: "J.F. Hill" nil_dog@...<about:blank> nil_dog
              Date: Sat Dec 9, 2006 11:32 am ((PST))

              Reading through several posts made me wonder. How do most folks pack
              their hammocks in their backpacks? I keep my HH in it's snakeskins
              and folded up in the stuff sack it came in.

              Thanks.