Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Packing your hammock

  • Tom Blum
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
      Pictures!!! We want pictures!!!

      TIA
      Tom
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "David Elliott" <delliott78@...>
      To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 9:44 AM
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Packing your hammock

      > Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
      > that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home.
      > made small pockets on my tarp at each place the guylines attach, and the
      > stakes are permanently attached to the guylines. When I break camp I roll
      > each guyline around its stake until I get to the edge of the tarp, and
      > then
      > put the stake and line in its own pocket (velcro closure). Same for the
      > ends of the ridgeline, minus the stake. The tarp is stored in a mesh bag,
      > which goes in an outside pocket of my homemade G4 pack. The mesh tarp bag
      > (and several other small bags for gear that goes in outside pockets) is
      > tied
      > to the pack because the pack is Silnylon, and things can slip out the the
      > pockets easily.
      > I pack my hammock on top of the pack because I like to use it during the
      > day
      > for meals or catnaps on the trail. Insulation for my current hammock is
      > down from lots of old Frostline kits purchased on ebay. I overstuffed it,
      > so it's plenty warm. (Slept comfortably in the back yard last night at 18
      > degrees [but no wind.]) My next hammock will be a summer version, with a
      > thinner layer of Primaloft. This is a new material for me. Does anyone
      > have suggestions on how to handle it for the curved underside of a
      > hammock?
      > I'm tempted to sew it into cylinders and put them in tubes with baffles in
      > the hammock bed, simply replacing the down insulation in my current
      > design.
      > I have also considered using flat layers with darts to compensate for the
      > curvature. I wonder if it would stretch adequately. I could oversize it,
      > but then it might sag. These and other questions will get answered
      > eventually, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
      > David Elliott

      > --
      > 3:41 PM

    • Tom Blum
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
        WRT fitting the straps to your build. What advise can you give??

        From what I can gather on line, I should put the shoulder straps about 2 inches below the nape of my neck and the hip belt on my ileum protrusions (sp?)

        Sound right?

        TIA Tom

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
          david... i`ve made two insulated hammocks using a sheet type synthetic insulation simular to what your talking about.
          the way that worked well for me was to start by whiping or tying the hammock ends & hanging it. mabey you could sleep in it or at least lay in it a while to give it a chance to stretch some.
          un-do the ends & sew a sheet of insulation (as long as you want the insulation) to both edges. you would probably want to also sew the outer shell at this time too.
          so as you sew down each of the long edges, you would have three layers... the hammock body, the insulation, & the outer shell.
          the insulation & the outer shell will be wider than needed & only be attached on one side at this point.
          retie or whip the hammock ends & hang it again.
          then add two or more pads, side by side, inside the hammock & fill it w/ pillows, blankets, etc, to fully strech it.
          at this point you will have a sheet of insulation & a length of outter shell hanging freely from the top edges on each side.
          throw the outter shell material from both sides, inside the hammock to get them out of the way.
          bring the insulation together in the center, under the botom of the hammock & pin it.
          cut away the excess insulation, leaving a little extera to account for the hammock body continuing to strech & hand sew the two sides together. it will look a little like a canoe.
          do the same w/ the shell.
          the two hammocks i made this way are still in use. ...tim

          David Elliott <delliott78@...> wrote:
          Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
          that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home. I
          .

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
            Hi CC,

            When you get ready to make your next G4, check out

            where folks who have made or are making a G4 can ask questions and share
            ideas. Glen, the original designer of the pack is there too, and will help
            with questions like that.

            Cheers,

            Carey

            > Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
            > that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home.
            > made small pockets on my tarp at each place the guylines attach, and the
            > stakes are permanently attached to the guylines. When I break camp I
            roll
            > each guyline around its stake until I get to the edge of the tarp, and
            then
            > put the stake and line in its own pocket (velcro closure). Same for the
            > ends of the ridgeline, minus the stake. The tarp is stored in a mesh
            bag,
            > which goes in an outside pocket of my homemade G4 pack. The mesh tarp
            bag
            > (and several other small bags for gear that goes in outside pockets) is
            tied
            > to the pack because the pack is Silnylon, and things can slip out the
            the
            > pockets easily.
            > I pack my hammock on top of the pack because I like to use it during the
            day
            > for meals or catnaps on the trail. Insulation for my current hammock is
            > down from lots of old Frostline kits purchased on ebay. I overstuffed
            it,
            > so it's plenty warm. (Slept comfortably in the back yard last night at
            18
            > degrees [but no wind.]) My next hammock will be a summer version, with a
            > thinner layer of Primaloft. This is a new material for me. Does anyone
            > have suggestions on how to handle it for the curved underside of a
            hammock?
            > I'm tempted to sew it into cylinders and put them in tubes with baffles
            in
            > the hammock bed, simply replacing the down insulation in my current
            design.
            > I have also considered using flat layers with darts to compensate for
            the
            > curvature. I wonder if it would stretch adequately. I could oversize it,
            > but then it might sag. These and other questions will get answered
            > eventually, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
            > David Elliott

          • CC Wayah
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
              Lindy,
              Here's a websight you might be interested in joining about the G-4 pack.
              Yes I haven't fogotten you. It's in my closet just about ready to go. Push
              me and I might get it out this week. OK
              I found soemmore of the fabric tosen dalong with the pattern. I knew I had
              more around here somewhere!

              Rogene

            • Rosaleen Sullivan
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                JF-

                To pack up my hammock, I first close the Snakeskins, then untie one end and wrap it around my arm, hand to elbow until I get to the second tree, and finish untie-ing the hammock. I wrap the lines around the hammock bundle to hold it together and slide it down the side of my pack, opposite the side with my water bladder. I can reach the hammock more easily than if it were in the bottom of my pack.

                Cheers!

                Rosaleen

                Packing your hammock
                Posted by: "J.F. Hill" nil_dog@...<about:blank> nil_dog
                Date: Sat Dec 9, 2006 11:32 am ((PST))

                Reading through several posts made me wonder. How do most folks pack
                their hammocks in their backpacks? I keep my HH in it's snakeskins
                and folded up in the stuff sack it came in.

                Thanks.