Re: Packing your hammock

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
      Hi David,

      I haven't had very good results using PL in a hammock, precisely
      because of the curvature you mentioned. One reason it's a problem
      is that, unlike down, sheeted insulation wants to pull tight between
      two points rather than being lofted up like down does. This affects
      me most under my knees. I haven't found a good way minimize this
      w/o compressing the PL...at least not good enough to choose it over
      down.

      The best thing I can think of right now is to make the PL bathtub
      shaped, and put slit down the middle from the butt to the feet and
      make a catenary cut to keep the PL snug against the knees. Then
      attach it to the hammock and quilt it. Seuss made a catenary
      underquilt that he says fits pretty well...he may have something
      useful to say about this.

      Be sure to post your results if you find a workable solution. Or
      even if you don't.... :D

      Jeff
    • Tom Blum
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
        Pictures!!! We want pictures!!!

        TIA
        Tom
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
          WRT fitting the straps to your build. What advise can you give??

          From what I can gather on line, I should put the shoulder straps about 2 inches below the nape of my neck and the hip belt on my ileum protrusions (sp?)

          Sound right?

          TIA Tom

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
            david... i`ve made two insulated hammocks using a sheet type synthetic insulation simular to what your talking about.
            the way that worked well for me was to start by whiping or tying the hammock ends & hanging it. mabey you could sleep in it or at least lay in it a while to give it a chance to stretch some.
            un-do the ends & sew a sheet of insulation (as long as you want the insulation) to both edges. you would probably want to also sew the outer shell at this time too.
            so as you sew down each of the long edges, you would have three layers... the hammock body, the insulation, & the outer shell.
            the insulation & the outer shell will be wider than needed & only be attached on one side at this point.
            retie or whip the hammock ends & hang it again.
            then add two or more pads, side by side, inside the hammock & fill it w/ pillows, blankets, etc, to fully strech it.
            at this point you will have a sheet of insulation & a length of outter shell hanging freely from the top edges on each side.
            throw the outter shell material from both sides, inside the hammock to get them out of the way.
            bring the insulation together in the center, under the botom of the hammock & pin it.
            cut away the excess insulation, leaving a little extera to account for the hammock body continuing to strech & hand sew the two sides together. it will look a little like a canoe.
            do the same w/ the shell.
            the two hammocks i made this way are still in use. ...tim

            David Elliott <delliott78@...> wrote:
            Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
            that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home. I
            .

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
              Hi CC,

              When you get ready to make your next G4, check out

              where folks who have made or are making a G4 can ask questions and share
              ideas. Glen, the original designer of the pack is there too, and will help
              with questions like that.

              Cheers,

              Carey

              > Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
              > that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home.
              > made small pockets on my tarp at each place the guylines attach, and the
              > stakes are permanently attached to the guylines. When I break camp I
              roll
              > each guyline around its stake until I get to the edge of the tarp, and
              then
              > put the stake and line in its own pocket (velcro closure). Same for the
              > ends of the ridgeline, minus the stake. The tarp is stored in a mesh
              bag,
              > which goes in an outside pocket of my homemade G4 pack. The mesh tarp
              bag
              > (and several other small bags for gear that goes in outside pockets) is
              tied
              > to the pack because the pack is Silnylon, and things can slip out the
              the
              > pockets easily.
              > I pack my hammock on top of the pack because I like to use it during the
              day
              > for meals or catnaps on the trail. Insulation for my current hammock is
              > down from lots of old Frostline kits purchased on ebay. I overstuffed
              it,
              > so it's plenty warm. (Slept comfortably in the back yard last night at
              18
              > degrees [but no wind.]) My next hammock will be a summer version, with a
              > thinner layer of Primaloft. This is a new material for me. Does anyone
              > have suggestions on how to handle it for the curved underside of a
              hammock?
              > I'm tempted to sew it into cylinders and put them in tubes with baffles
              in
              > the hammock bed, simply replacing the down insulation in my current
              design.
              > I have also considered using flat layers with darts to compensate for
              the
              > curvature. I wonder if it would stretch adequately. I could oversize it,
              > but then it might sag. These and other questions will get answered
              > eventually, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
              > David Elliott

            • CC Wayah
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                Lindy,
                Here's a websight you might be interested in joining about the G-4 pack.
                Yes I haven't fogotten you. It's in my closet just about ready to go. Push
                me and I might get it out this week. OK
                I found soemmore of the fabric tosen dalong with the pattern. I knew I had
                more around here somewhere!

                Rogene

              • Rosaleen Sullivan
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                  JF-

                  To pack up my hammock, I first close the Snakeskins, then untie one end and wrap it around my arm, hand to elbow until I get to the second tree, and finish untie-ing the hammock. I wrap the lines around the hammock bundle to hold it together and slide it down the side of my pack, opposite the side with my water bladder. I can reach the hammock more easily than if it were in the bottom of my pack.

                  Cheers!

                  Rosaleen

                  Packing your hammock
                  Posted by: "J.F. Hill" nil_dog@...<about:blank> nil_dog
                  Date: Sat Dec 9, 2006 11:32 am ((PST))

                  Reading through several posts made me wonder. How do most folks pack
                  their hammocks in their backpacks? I keep my HH in it's snakeskins
                  and folded up in the stuff sack it came in.

                  Thanks.