Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Packing your hammock

  • Brian Neeley
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
      Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:
      > If you're using the skins, why do you also carry the stuff sack?
      I also use the snakeskins, and leave it in the stuff sack. I do it this way because I also keep my extra parachute line and tieout pegs in the sack. It just keeps everything together. Granted, I am not a lightweight packer by any means. If I were, my Alice pack backpack would be history, along with most of my other gear {Yes, I need lots of new gear. Anybody with more money than sense can e-mail me and get my Christmas list ;-) }.

      Brian Neeley

    • john hill
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
        Thanks for the responses. Looks like it's one or the other here. I've just packed it back in the sack because it's there and like Brian everything's in one place - stakes, tree huggers, and hammock. No hunting for stuff - just open the bag and it's all there but I thought it might be easier to pack if you just wound it up in the pack as you went.

        > If you're using the skins, why do you also carry the stuff sack?
        I also use the snakeskins, and leave it in the stuff sack. I do it this way because I also keep my extra parachute line and tieout pegs in the sack. It just keeps everything together. Granted, I am not a lightweight packer by any means. If I were, my Alice pack backpack would be history, along with most of my other gear {Yes, I need lots of new gear. Anybody with more money than sense can e-mail me and get my Christmas list ;-) }.

        Brian Neeley

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
          I just stuff my HH hammock, JRB nest and all, in a big dry bag. I stuff
          it in as though it were a sleeping bag. The No-Sniveler gets loosely
          stuffed into a very cheap 'backpack' (simpler, lighter, bigger, and
          more uncomfortable when weighted than the LuxuryLite SakPak) and thrown
          in with the rest of the hammock. No snakes. After it's all in the dry
          bag, I do some compression, but not much. I've noticed my nest &
          no-sniveler tend to molt and I'm trying to keep that to a minimum.
          Besides, it's a great way to keep the pack filled up, reducing room for
          heavier things.

          The little backpack keeps the No-Sniveler easily identifiable, confined
          until I need it in the hammock, and can double as a pillow cover or
          daypack for water runs.

          The stuff sac is used for spare line, tarp, and tree huggers and is kept
          separate.

          CL

          J.F. Hill wrote:
          > Reading through several posts made me wonder. How do most folks pack
          > their hammocks in their backpacks? I keep my HH in it's snakeskins
          > and folded up in the stuff sack it came in.
          >
          > Thanks.

        • David Elliott
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
            Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
            that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home. I
            made small pockets on my tarp at each place the guylines attach, and the
            stakes are permanently attached to the guylines. When I break camp I roll
            each guyline around its stake until I get to the edge of the tarp, and then
            put the stake and line in its own pocket (velcro closure). Same for the
            ends of the ridgeline, minus the stake. The tarp is stored in a mesh bag,
            which goes in an outside pocket of my homemade G4 pack. The mesh tarp bag
            (and several other small bags for gear that goes in outside pockets) is tied
            to the pack because the pack is Silnylon, and things can slip out the the
            pockets easily.
            I pack my hammock on top of the pack because I like to use it during the day
            for meals or catnaps on the trail. Insulation for my current hammock is
            down from lots of old Frostline kits purchased on ebay. I overstuffed it,
            so it's plenty warm. (Slept comfortably in the back yard last night at 18
            degrees [but no wind.]) My next hammock will be a summer version, with a
            thinner layer of Primaloft. This is a new material for me. Does anyone
            have suggestions on how to handle it for the curved underside of a hammock?
            I'm tempted to sew it into cylinders and put them in tubes with baffles in
            the hammock bed, simply replacing the down insulation in my current design.
            I have also considered using flat layers with darts to compensate for the
            curvature. I wonder if it would stretch adequately. I could oversize it,
            but then it might sag. These and other questions will get answered
            eventually, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
            David Elliott

            WIN up to $10,000 in cash or prizes � enter the Microsoft Office Live
            Sweepstakes http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0050001581mrt/direct/01/
          • CC Wayah
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
              David,
              What did you use for the mesh in your homemade G-4? I'm thinking of one
              with mesh from an onion sack. That stuff is tough and light weight. It's
              hard to find the onion sacks I like for this in a large enough piece of
              mesh. Fifty pound bags are heavier
              mesh then I like to use. Most are bright orange but I'd like mine to be
              black.

              I use a simple string clipped to my bag threaded tough several mesh stuff
              sacks to keep things from being lost. A small sil bag works well for my
              first aid kit and one for tooth brush stuff hooked with a string clipped to
              my pack. Then it's hard to leave these small things behind and they never
              get misplaced in a shelter.
              I don't know what G-4 pattern you made but if it is the pattern online
              before 2001 I've added small fabric closed pockets above the side mesh
              pockets for keeping my first aid kit and on the other side my tooth brush
              toiletries kit so I never have to search for them in the cavernous backpack.
              Both are in a little bag of their own sewed to a string that is hooked to my
              backpack permanently and stuff in to the outer pockets.
              Works well for me.
              CCwayah.
              lately I've been using a Vaportrial bag because when I made the G-4 I didn't
              get the shoulder straps adjusted for my short torso properly so I gave it
              away to a friend.
              Someday I might make another one and try to get the torso right this time.

              CCWayah.

              Do the stakes ever try to punch holes in your tarp when you have them stored
              in the tarp pockets?

              > Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
              > that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home.
              > made small pockets on my tarp at each place the guylines attach, and the
              > stakes are permanently attached to the guylines. When I break camp I roll
              > each guyline around its stake until I get to the edge of the tarp, and
              then
              > put the stake and line in its own pocket (velcro closure). Same for the
              > ends of the ridgeline, minus the stake. The tarp is stored in a mesh bag,
              > which goes in an outside pocket of my homemade G4 pack. The mesh tarp bag
              > (and several other small bags for gear that goes in outside pockets) is
              tied
              > to the pack because the pack is Silnylon, and things can slip out the the
              > pockets easily.
              > I pack my hammock on top of the pack because I like to use it during the
              day
              > for meals or catnaps on the trail. Insulation for my current hammock is
              > down from lots of old Frostline kits purchased on ebay. I overstuffed it,
              > so it's plenty warm. (Slept comfortably in the back yard last night at 18
              > degrees [but no wind.]) My next hammock will be a summer version, with a
              > thinner layer of Primaloft. This is a new material for me. Does anyone
              > have suggestions on how to handle it for the curved underside of a
              hammock?
              > I'm tempted to sew it into cylinders and put them in tubes with baffles in
              > the hammock bed, simply replacing the down insulation in my current
              design.
              > I have also considered using flat layers with darts to compensate for the
              > curvature. I wonder if it would stretch adequately. I could oversize it,
              > but then it might sag. These and other questions will get answered
              > eventually, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
              > David Elliott

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                Hi David,

                I haven't had very good results using PL in a hammock, precisely
                because of the curvature you mentioned. One reason it's a problem
                is that, unlike down, sheeted insulation wants to pull tight between
                two points rather than being lofted up like down does. This affects
                me most under my knees. I haven't found a good way minimize this
                w/o compressing the PL...at least not good enough to choose it over
                down.

                The best thing I can think of right now is to make the PL bathtub
                shaped, and put slit down the middle from the butt to the feet and
                make a catenary cut to keep the PL snug against the knees. Then
                attach it to the hammock and quilt it. Seuss made a catenary
                underquilt that he says fits pretty well...he may have something
                useful to say about this.

                Be sure to post your results if you find a workable solution. Or
                even if you don't.... :D

                Jeff
              • Tom Blum
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                  Pictures!!! We want pictures!!!

                  TIA
                  Tom
                  > Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
                  > that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home.
                  > made small pockets on my tarp at each place the guylines attach, and the
                  > stakes are permanently attached to the guylines. When I break camp I roll
                  > each guyline around its stake until I get to the edge of the tarp, and
                  > then
                  > put the stake and line in its own pocket (velcro closure). Same for the
                  > ends of the ridgeline, minus the stake. The tarp is stored in a mesh bag,
                  > which goes in an outside pocket of my homemade G4 pack. The mesh tarp bag
                  > (and several other small bags for gear that goes in outside pockets) is
                  > tied
                  > to the pack because the pack is Silnylon, and things can slip out the the
                  > pockets easily.
                  > I pack my hammock on top of the pack because I like to use it during the
                  > day
                  > for meals or catnaps on the trail. Insulation for my current hammock is
                  > down from lots of old Frostline kits purchased on ebay. I overstuffed it,
                  > so it's plenty warm. (Slept comfortably in the back yard last night at 18
                  > degrees [but no wind.]) My next hammock will be a summer version, with a
                  > thinner layer of Primaloft. This is a new material for me. Does anyone
                  > have suggestions on how to handle it for the curved underside of a
                  > hammock?
                  > I'm tempted to sew it into cylinders and put them in tubes with baffles in
                  > the hammock bed, simply replacing the down insulation in my current
                  > design.
                  > I have also considered using flat layers with darts to compensate for the
                  > curvature. I wonder if it would stretch adequately. I could oversize it,
                  > but then it might sag. These and other questions will get answered
                  > eventually, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
                  > David Elliott

                  > --
                  > 3:41 PM

                • Tom Blum
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                    WRT fitting the straps to your build. What advise can you give??

                    From what I can gather on line, I should put the shoulder straps about 2 inches below the nape of my neck and the hip belt on my ileum protrusions (sp?)

                    Sound right?

                    TIA Tom

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                      david... i`ve made two insulated hammocks using a sheet type synthetic insulation simular to what your talking about.
                      the way that worked well for me was to start by whiping or tying the hammock ends & hanging it. mabey you could sleep in it or at least lay in it a while to give it a chance to stretch some.
                      un-do the ends & sew a sheet of insulation (as long as you want the insulation) to both edges. you would probably want to also sew the outer shell at this time too.
                      so as you sew down each of the long edges, you would have three layers... the hammock body, the insulation, & the outer shell.
                      the insulation & the outer shell will be wider than needed & only be attached on one side at this point.
                      retie or whip the hammock ends & hang it again.
                      then add two or more pads, side by side, inside the hammock & fill it w/ pillows, blankets, etc, to fully strech it.
                      at this point you will have a sheet of insulation & a length of outter shell hanging freely from the top edges on each side.
                      throw the outter shell material from both sides, inside the hammock to get them out of the way.
                      bring the insulation together in the center, under the botom of the hammock & pin it.
                      cut away the excess insulation, leaving a little extera to account for the hammock body continuing to strech & hand sew the two sides together. it will look a little like a canoe.
                      do the same w/ the shell.
                      the two hammocks i made this way are still in use. ...tim

                      .

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                        Hi CC,

                        When you get ready to make your next G4, check out

                        where folks who have made or are making a G4 can ask questions and share
                        ideas. Glen, the original designer of the pack is there too, and will help
                        with questions like that.

                        Cheers,

                        Carey

                        > Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
                        > that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home.
                        > made small pockets on my tarp at each place the guylines attach, and the
                        > stakes are permanently attached to the guylines. When I break camp I
                        roll
                        > each guyline around its stake until I get to the edge of the tarp, and
                        then
                        > put the stake and line in its own pocket (velcro closure). Same for the
                        > ends of the ridgeline, minus the stake. The tarp is stored in a mesh
                        bag,
                        > which goes in an outside pocket of my homemade G4 pack. The mesh tarp
                        bag
                        > (and several other small bags for gear that goes in outside pockets) is
                        tied
                        > to the pack because the pack is Silnylon, and things can slip out the
                        the
                        > pockets easily.
                        > I pack my hammock on top of the pack because I like to use it during the
                        day
                        > for meals or catnaps on the trail. Insulation for my current hammock is
                        > down from lots of old Frostline kits purchased on ebay. I overstuffed
                        it,
                        > so it's plenty warm. (Slept comfortably in the back yard last night at
                        18
                        > degrees [but no wind.]) My next hammock will be a summer version, with a
                        > thinner layer of Primaloft. This is a new material for me. Does anyone
                        > have suggestions on how to handle it for the curved underside of a
                        hammock?
                        > I'm tempted to sew it into cylinders and put them in tubes with baffles
                        in
                        > the hammock bed, simply replacing the down insulation in my current
                        design.
                        > I have also considered using flat layers with darts to compensate for
                        the
                        > curvature. I wonder if it would stretch adequately. I could oversize it,
                        > but then it might sag. These and other questions will get answered
                        > eventually, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
                        > David Elliott

                      • CC Wayah
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                          Lindy,
                          Here's a websight you might be interested in joining about the G-4 pack.
                          Yes I haven't fogotten you. It's in my closet just about ready to go. Push
                          me and I might get it out this week. OK
                          I found soemmore of the fabric tosen dalong with the pattern. I knew I had
                          more around here somewhere!

                          Rogene

                        • Rosaleen Sullivan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                            JF-

                            To pack up my hammock, I first close the Snakeskins, then untie one end and wrap it around my arm, hand to elbow until I get to the second tree, and finish untie-ing the hammock. I wrap the lines around the hammock bundle to hold it together and slide it down the side of my pack, opposite the side with my water bladder. I can reach the hammock more easily than if it were in the bottom of my pack.

                            Cheers!

                            Rosaleen

                            Packing your hammock
                            Posted by: "J.F. Hill" nil_dog@...<about:blank> nil_dog