Re: [Hammock Camping] Packing your hammock

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
      I just use a stuff sack that is large enough to stuff it in easily
      and let it compress further, as needed, in my pack. I untie one end
      of my hammock, wrap that suspension line around my hand, put that in
      the bottom of the stuff sack, gather a foot or so of the hammock at a
      time and stuff it until I get to the other suspension line. Then I
      cinch the stuff sack, untie and wrap the remaining suspension line
      around my hand, uncinch the stuff sack and put the remaining
      suspension line on top before recinching the stuff sack. To tie off
      the hammock, the suspension line is the first thing out and you can
      cinch it off in the rain while you tie the first suspension line
      off. The rest of the hammock comes out of the stuff sack in the
      proper order as you walk to the second tree. It is easy and quick.

      I do the same thing with my tarp, wrapping the side guidelines in
      pairs and tucking them in with a handful of tarp material as I come
      to them. The two ridgelines are the first and last things in the
      stuff sack. I have a small stuff sack for my stakes to prevent them
      from damaging other items and I put it into the side of the tarp
      stuff sack before I put the last ridgeline in. I don't like to pack
      items for tarps or tents seperately... I have seen too many people
      start to set up camp and find out they left various pieces at home.

      Normally, I put my tarp in a side pocket so it can be the first thing
      out or last thing in when it is raining. My hammock is usually the
      last thing I put inside my pack so I can get to it easy at break time
      or when it is time to set up camp.

      Youngblood
    • Brian Neeley
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
        Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:
        > If you're using the skins, why do you also carry the stuff sack?
        I also use the snakeskins, and leave it in the stuff sack. I do it this way because I also keep my extra parachute line and tieout pegs in the sack. It just keeps everything together. Granted, I am not a lightweight packer by any means. If I were, my Alice pack backpack would be history, along with most of my other gear {Yes, I need lots of new gear. Anybody with more money than sense can e-mail me and get my Christmas list ;-) }.

        Brian Neeley

      • john hill
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
          Thanks for the responses. Looks like it's one or the other here. I've just packed it back in the sack because it's there and like Brian everything's in one place - stakes, tree huggers, and hammock. No hunting for stuff - just open the bag and it's all there but I thought it might be easier to pack if you just wound it up in the pack as you went.

          > If you're using the skins, why do you also carry the stuff sack?
          I also use the snakeskins, and leave it in the stuff sack. I do it this way because I also keep my extra parachute line and tieout pegs in the sack. It just keeps everything together. Granted, I am not a lightweight packer by any means. If I were, my Alice pack backpack would be history, along with most of my other gear {Yes, I need lots of new gear. Anybody with more money than sense can e-mail me and get my Christmas list ;-) }.

          Brian Neeley

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
            I just stuff my HH hammock, JRB nest and all, in a big dry bag. I stuff
            it in as though it were a sleeping bag. The No-Sniveler gets loosely
            stuffed into a very cheap 'backpack' (simpler, lighter, bigger, and
            more uncomfortable when weighted than the LuxuryLite SakPak) and thrown
            in with the rest of the hammock. No snakes. After it's all in the dry
            bag, I do some compression, but not much. I've noticed my nest &
            no-sniveler tend to molt and I'm trying to keep that to a minimum.
            Besides, it's a great way to keep the pack filled up, reducing room for
            heavier things.

            The little backpack keeps the No-Sniveler easily identifiable, confined
            until I need it in the hammock, and can double as a pillow cover or
            daypack for water runs.

            The stuff sac is used for spare line, tarp, and tree huggers and is kept
            separate.

            CL

            J.F. Hill wrote:
            > Reading through several posts made me wonder. How do most folks pack
            > their hammocks in their backpacks? I keep my HH in it's snakeskins
            > and folded up in the stuff sack it came in.
            >
            > Thanks.

          • David Elliott
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
              Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
              that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home. I
              made small pockets on my tarp at each place the guylines attach, and the
              stakes are permanently attached to the guylines. When I break camp I roll
              each guyline around its stake until I get to the edge of the tarp, and then
              put the stake and line in its own pocket (velcro closure). Same for the
              ends of the ridgeline, minus the stake. The tarp is stored in a mesh bag,
              which goes in an outside pocket of my homemade G4 pack. The mesh tarp bag
              (and several other small bags for gear that goes in outside pockets) is tied
              to the pack because the pack is Silnylon, and things can slip out the the
              pockets easily.
              I pack my hammock on top of the pack because I like to use it during the day
              for meals or catnaps on the trail. Insulation for my current hammock is
              down from lots of old Frostline kits purchased on ebay. I overstuffed it,
              so it's plenty warm. (Slept comfortably in the back yard last night at 18
              degrees [but no wind.]) My next hammock will be a summer version, with a
              thinner layer of Primaloft. This is a new material for me. Does anyone
              have suggestions on how to handle it for the curved underside of a hammock?
              I'm tempted to sew it into cylinders and put them in tubes with baffles in
              the hammock bed, simply replacing the down insulation in my current design.
              I have also considered using flat layers with darts to compensate for the
              curvature. I wonder if it would stretch adequately. I could oversize it,
              but then it might sag. These and other questions will get answered
              eventually, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
              David Elliott

              WIN up to $10,000 in cash or prizes � enter the Microsoft Office Live
              Sweepstakes http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0050001581mrt/direct/01/
            • CC Wayah
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                David,
                What did you use for the mesh in your homemade G-4? I'm thinking of one
                with mesh from an onion sack. That stuff is tough and light weight. It's
                hard to find the onion sacks I like for this in a large enough piece of
                mesh. Fifty pound bags are heavier
                mesh then I like to use. Most are bright orange but I'd like mine to be
                black.

                I use a simple string clipped to my bag threaded tough several mesh stuff
                sacks to keep things from being lost. A small sil bag works well for my
                first aid kit and one for tooth brush stuff hooked with a string clipped to
                my pack. Then it's hard to leave these small things behind and they never
                get misplaced in a shelter.
                I don't know what G-4 pattern you made but if it is the pattern online
                before 2001 I've added small fabric closed pockets above the side mesh
                pockets for keeping my first aid kit and on the other side my tooth brush
                toiletries kit so I never have to search for them in the cavernous backpack.
                Both are in a little bag of their own sewed to a string that is hooked to my
                backpack permanently and stuff in to the outer pockets.
                Works well for me.
                CCwayah.
                lately I've been using a Vaportrial bag because when I made the G-4 I didn't
                get the shoulder straps adjusted for my short torso properly so I gave it
                away to a friend.
                Someday I might make another one and try to get the torso right this time.

                CCWayah.

                Do the stakes ever try to punch holes in your tarp when you have them stored
                in the tarp pockets?

                > Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
                > that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home.
                > made small pockets on my tarp at each place the guylines attach, and the
                > stakes are permanently attached to the guylines. When I break camp I roll
                > each guyline around its stake until I get to the edge of the tarp, and
                then
                > put the stake and line in its own pocket (velcro closure). Same for the
                > ends of the ridgeline, minus the stake. The tarp is stored in a mesh bag,
                > which goes in an outside pocket of my homemade G4 pack. The mesh tarp bag
                > (and several other small bags for gear that goes in outside pockets) is
                tied
                > to the pack because the pack is Silnylon, and things can slip out the the
                > pockets easily.
                > I pack my hammock on top of the pack because I like to use it during the
                day
                > for meals or catnaps on the trail. Insulation for my current hammock is
                > down from lots of old Frostline kits purchased on ebay. I overstuffed it,
                > so it's plenty warm. (Slept comfortably in the back yard last night at 18
                > degrees [but no wind.]) My next hammock will be a summer version, with a
                > thinner layer of Primaloft. This is a new material for me. Does anyone
                > have suggestions on how to handle it for the curved underside of a
                hammock?
                > I'm tempted to sew it into cylinders and put them in tubes with baffles in
                > the hammock bed, simply replacing the down insulation in my current
                design.
                > I have also considered using flat layers with darts to compensate for the
                > curvature. I wonder if it would stretch adequately. I could oversize it,
                > but then it might sag. These and other questions will get answered
                > eventually, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
                > David Elliott

              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                  Hi David,

                  I haven't had very good results using PL in a hammock, precisely
                  because of the curvature you mentioned. One reason it's a problem
                  is that, unlike down, sheeted insulation wants to pull tight between
                  two points rather than being lofted up like down does. This affects
                  me most under my knees. I haven't found a good way minimize this
                  w/o compressing the PL...at least not good enough to choose it over
                  down.

                  The best thing I can think of right now is to make the PL bathtub
                  shaped, and put slit down the middle from the butt to the feet and
                  make a catenary cut to keep the PL snug against the knees. Then
                  attach it to the hammock and quilt it. Seuss made a catenary
                  underquilt that he says fits pretty well...he may have something
                  useful to say about this.

                  Be sure to post your results if you find a workable solution. Or
                  even if you don't.... :D

                  Jeff
                • Tom Blum
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                    Pictures!!! We want pictures!!!

                    TIA
                    Tom
                    > Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
                    > that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home.
                    > made small pockets on my tarp at each place the guylines attach, and the
                    > stakes are permanently attached to the guylines. When I break camp I roll
                    > each guyline around its stake until I get to the edge of the tarp, and
                    > then
                    > put the stake and line in its own pocket (velcro closure). Same for the
                    > ends of the ridgeline, minus the stake. The tarp is stored in a mesh bag,
                    > which goes in an outside pocket of my homemade G4 pack. The mesh tarp bag
                    > (and several other small bags for gear that goes in outside pockets) is
                    > tied
                    > to the pack because the pack is Silnylon, and things can slip out the the
                    > pockets easily.
                    > I pack my hammock on top of the pack because I like to use it during the
                    > day
                    > for meals or catnaps on the trail. Insulation for my current hammock is
                    > down from lots of old Frostline kits purchased on ebay. I overstuffed it,
                    > so it's plenty warm. (Slept comfortably in the back yard last night at 18
                    > degrees [but no wind.]) My next hammock will be a summer version, with a
                    > thinner layer of Primaloft. This is a new material for me. Does anyone
                    > have suggestions on how to handle it for the curved underside of a
                    > hammock?
                    > I'm tempted to sew it into cylinders and put them in tubes with baffles in
                    > the hammock bed, simply replacing the down insulation in my current
                    > design.
                    > I have also considered using flat layers with darts to compensate for the
                    > curvature. I wonder if it would stretch adequately. I could oversize it,
                    > but then it might sag. These and other questions will get answered
                    > eventually, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
                    > David Elliott

                    > --
                    > 3:41 PM

                  • Tom Blum
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                      WRT fitting the straps to your build. What advise can you give??

                      From what I can gather on line, I should put the shoulder straps about 2 inches below the nape of my neck and the hip belt on my ileum protrusions (sp?)

                      Sound right?

                      TIA Tom

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                        david... i`ve made two insulated hammocks using a sheet type synthetic insulation simular to what your talking about.
                        the way that worked well for me was to start by whiping or tying the hammock ends & hanging it. mabey you could sleep in it or at least lay in it a while to give it a chance to stretch some.
                        un-do the ends & sew a sheet of insulation (as long as you want the insulation) to both edges. you would probably want to also sew the outer shell at this time too.
                        so as you sew down each of the long edges, you would have three layers... the hammock body, the insulation, & the outer shell.
                        the insulation & the outer shell will be wider than needed & only be attached on one side at this point.
                        retie or whip the hammock ends & hang it again.
                        then add two or more pads, side by side, inside the hammock & fill it w/ pillows, blankets, etc, to fully strech it.
                        at this point you will have a sheet of insulation & a length of outter shell hanging freely from the top edges on each side.
                        throw the outter shell material from both sides, inside the hammock to get them out of the way.
                        bring the insulation together in the center, under the botom of the hammock & pin it.
                        cut away the excess insulation, leaving a little extera to account for the hammock body continuing to strech & hand sew the two sides together. it will look a little like a canoe.
                        do the same w/ the shell.
                        the two hammocks i made this way are still in use. ...tim

                        .

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                          Hi CC,

                          When you get ready to make your next G4, check out

                          where folks who have made or are making a G4 can ask questions and share
                          ideas. Glen, the original designer of the pack is there too, and will help
                          with questions like that.

                          Cheers,

                          Carey

                          > Hi all. I've enjoyed your posts. Lots of sense there, I think. I agree
                          > that it's good to have everything attached so no parts get left at home.
                          > made small pockets on my tarp at each place the guylines attach, and the
                          > stakes are permanently attached to the guylines. When I break camp I
                          roll
                          > each guyline around its stake until I get to the edge of the tarp, and
                          then
                          > put the stake and line in its own pocket (velcro closure). Same for the
                          > ends of the ridgeline, minus the stake. The tarp is stored in a mesh
                          bag,
                          > which goes in an outside pocket of my homemade G4 pack. The mesh tarp
                          bag
                          > (and several other small bags for gear that goes in outside pockets) is
                          tied
                          > to the pack because the pack is Silnylon, and things can slip out the
                          the
                          > pockets easily.
                          > I pack my hammock on top of the pack because I like to use it during the
                          day
                          > for meals or catnaps on the trail. Insulation for my current hammock is
                          > down from lots of old Frostline kits purchased on ebay. I overstuffed
                          it,
                          > so it's plenty warm. (Slept comfortably in the back yard last night at
                          18
                          > degrees [but no wind.]) My next hammock will be a summer version, with a
                          > thinner layer of Primaloft. This is a new material for me. Does anyone
                          > have suggestions on how to handle it for the curved underside of a
                          hammock?
                          > I'm tempted to sew it into cylinders and put them in tubes with baffles
                          in
                          > the hammock bed, simply replacing the down insulation in my current
                          design.
                          > I have also considered using flat layers with darts to compensate for
                          the
                          > curvature. I wonder if it would stretch adequately. I could oversize it,
                          > but then it might sag. These and other questions will get answered
                          > eventually, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
                          > David Elliott

                        • CC Wayah
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                            Lindy,
                            Here's a websight you might be interested in joining about the G-4 pack.
                            Yes I haven't fogotten you. It's in my closet just about ready to go. Push
                            me and I might get it out this week. OK
                            I found soemmore of the fabric tosen dalong with the pattern. I knew I had
                            more around here somewhere!

                            Rogene

                          • Rosaleen Sullivan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 10, 2006
                              JF-

                              To pack up my hammock, I first close the Snakeskins, then untie one end and wrap it around my arm, hand to elbow until I get to the second tree, and finish untie-ing the hammock. I wrap the lines around the hammock bundle to hold it together and slide it down the side of my pack, opposite the side with my water bladder. I can reach the hammock more easily than if it were in the bottom of my pack.

                              Cheers!

                              Rosaleen

                              Packing your hammock
                              Posted by: "J.F. Hill" nil_dog@...<about:blank> nil_dog