Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

  • Robert Woods
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
      Dave,

      Thanks for the info. I will save it and review when we get ready to hke that section.

      Bobby

      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
      Bobby,

      John writes excellent guide books.

      The Georgia section of the Bartram Trail has some great campsites
      along the Chatooga River, some neat small waterfalls and the viewing
      tower on Raburn Bald. A couple of times I have been on Raburn Bald
      when there was a recent hatch of small, troublesome, flying insects.
      That is a bummer when that happens as you don't want to hang around
      and take in the view. Most of the times I have been there, you take
      a nap or have a lunch break. The section between Warwoman Dell and
      the Chatooga River has the most impressive spider webs I have run
      into. They are so strong they almost stop you in your tracks when
      you run into them. They are impressive and I think you will remember
      them if you encounter them. I enchanged posts with a fellow from
      Florida, I believe, on a Georgia hiking site I frequent who had
      turned the Georgia Bartram Trail into a loop hike by adding about an
      8 mile roadwalk along the forest service roads to connect the two
      trailheads. I think he may have shaved a few miles off by exiting
      Raburn Bald to the east via the Three Forks Trail(?) as well. Hope
      you enjoy the hike. If you are up to it, there is a great vista on a
      step side trail up to Pinnacle Peak, or some name like that, seems
      like it is less than a mile off the trail. I think it is about 4
      miles north of Warwoman Dell. There are some great sunset views, a
      spot for one tent and several hammocks up there.

      Dave

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...>
      wrote:

      > Dave,
      >
      > I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills
      Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges
      during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We
      stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we
      where.

      > The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down
      the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the
      night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We
      talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide
      for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the
      Bartram trail in Georgia.

      > I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia
      section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

      <slowhike@>