Cold Night in Georgia

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2006
      We had some nice winds and a low of 16F in my back yard last night. I
      think we get one more night of 20ish degree weather in the metro
      Atlanta area before the weather warms up. I think they were saying on
      the local news last night that would be the coldest weather we have had
      in two years. I think the coldest weather I was in last year was 21F,
      down by the French Broad River in Hot Springs, NC. On my winter
      backpacking trips last year in Georgia I did run into snow one night
      but the low were I was at was 25F.

      Dave
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2006
        yep, it was chilly last night. I did a little gear checking (not
        with my hammock though) with a pad and 2 bags last night. I stayed
        out till 3 AM but my nose was really cold so I came back to the
        house. It was real windy at 10 PM when I went out but not that windy
        at 3 AM. I should have used my full face boggan instead og the
        bomber hat i used. the bomber hat is the warmest hat i have but it
        dont cover my face. i could have used bout anything over my face but
        forgot to take something with me for that. you'd think i wouldnt
        forget something like that. OH well my bag setup was warm. Only
        problom I really had was getting both bags zipped up over my
        shoulders and then I couldnt do nothing but lay there. I had laid my
        down jacket over my mid section and when i got all zipped in i
        decided i needed it for a pillow worse. took me another 10 minutes
        to redo everything. In a hammock I dont have to worry about the
        pillow so i wasnt thinking when I first got situated... It was 24
        when I left the house and 12 when i got back. it droped on down to 9
        this morning. now back up to 18 though and not sposed to get as cold
        tonight (only 17 or so) I am going to try the hammock with both bags
        tonigh. tried just one bag monday night and got cold at 22 (15 f
        bag).

        Coy Boy

        > We had some nice winds and a low of 16F in my back yard last
        night. I
        > think we get one more night of 20ish degree weather in the metro
        > Atlanta area before the weather warms up. I think they were saying
        on
        > the local news last night that would be the coldest weather we have
        had
        > in two years. I think the coldest weather I was in last year was
        21F,
        > down by the French Broad River in Hot Springs, NC. On my winter
        > backpacking trips last year in Georgia I did run into snow one
        night
        > but the low were I was at was 25F.
        >
        > Dave

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2006

          > I should have used my full face boggan instead og the
          > bomber hat i used. the bomber hat is the warmest hat i have but
          it
          > dont cover my face.

          I have a hard time breathing inside balaclavas and stuff, so I just
          got one of these:
          http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?
          storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47925766&parent_category
          _rn=40003705&vcat=REI_SEARCH

          It's just the facemask part, fleece-lined neoprene, and it's shaped
          with a nose hole (but still protects the nose) and has holes over
          the mouth. I'm hoping it'll work much better for me than the normal
          balaclava I've used in the past.

          There are several options...some of them have fleece neck gaiters
          attached. Using these, you'd be able to keep your face covered
          comfortably but still use your bomber hat. Might be worth looking
          into if you like your hat so much. My model is only $13...the
          others are up to $20.

          > It was 24
          > when I left the house and 12 when i got back. it droped on down to
          9
          > this morning. now back up to 18 though and not sposed to get as
          cold
          > tonight (only 17 or so) I am going to try the hammock with both
          bags
          > tonigh. tried just one bag monday night and got cold at 22 (15 f
          > bag).

          I'm so jealous of you guys! It barely dips below 40F here. We're
          starting the drive to NC next Friday, though...can't wait!

          Jeff
        • David Wills
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2006
            I got one of those Sierus Neofleece facemasks a few years back and
            take it on all cold weather trips. I was very surprised how much heat
            you lose from your face. The VB effect of the neoprene can be
            disadvantageous because not all moisture from your breath goes through
            the holes, but overall its an excellent face warmer.

            -David Wills