[Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

  • mrbyer
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
      And yet another option is to use cd-roms for each "folder" and burn a
      disk every once in a while and save the cd-roms in an organized fashion.

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
        you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
        what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer yet.
        i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services?
        you can email me direct at slowhike@...
        after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>. ...tim

        Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
        Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
        photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
        your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
        know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
        allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
        the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files that I
        might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
        with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
        .

      • mrbyer
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
          AVG by grisoft is awesome. Best of all it is free.

          Here is a link to Cnet's download website which has reviews and more:

          > you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
          > what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together
          w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we
          have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my
          computer yet.
          > i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed
          mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton
          antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on
          norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus
          services?
          > you can email me direct at slowhike@...
          > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything
          else<G>. ...tim

          > Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
          > Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock
          camping
          > photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to
          go with
          > your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the
          two, but I
          > know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
          > allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any
          day in
          > the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files
          that I
          > might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not
          affiliated
          > with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
          > .

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
            Norton is one of the best. If you download google pack, which is free, you
            also get a free copy of Norton. It is not an eval copy either, it is fully
            functional.

            http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us

            --
            Scott
            www.HikeHaven.com

            uphttp://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us w/.
            we have
            > talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer
            > yet. i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad,
            > but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus
            > runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the
            > other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services? you can email
            > me direct at slowhike@...
            > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>.
            > ...tim

          • Robert Woods
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
              Dave,

              I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we where.

              The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the Bartram trail in Georgia.

              I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

              Bobby

              Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

              > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
              of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
              camping<g>?

              Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
              a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
              authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
              book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
              notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
              campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
              behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
              large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
              had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
              before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
              cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
              almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
              and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
              of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
              country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
              in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
              much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
              over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
              thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.

              If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
              posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
              they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992

              These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
              http://tinyurl.com/t425g

              Dave

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                Bobby,

                John writes excellent guide books.

                The Georgia section of the Bartram Trail has some great campsites
                along the Chatooga River, some neat small waterfalls and the viewing
                tower on Raburn Bald. A couple of times I have been on Raburn Bald
                when there was a recent hatch of small, troublesome, flying insects.
                That is a bummer when that happens as you don't want to hang around
                and take in the view. Most of the times I have been there, you take
                a nap or have a lunch break. The section between Warwoman Dell and
                the Chatooga River has the most impressive spider webs I have run
                into. They are so strong they almost stop you in your tracks when
                you run into them. They are impressive and I think you will remember
                them if you encounter them. I enchanged posts with a fellow from
                Florida, I believe, on a Georgia hiking site I frequent who had
                turned the Georgia Bartram Trail into a loop hike by adding about an
                8 mile roadwalk along the forest service roads to connect the two
                trailheads. I think he may have shaved a few miles off by exiting
                Raburn Bald to the east via the Three Forks Trail(?) as well. Hope
                you enjoy the hike. If you are up to it, there is a great vista on a
                step side trail up to Pinnacle Peak, or some name like that, seems
                like it is less than a mile off the trail. I think it is about 4
                miles north of Warwoman Dell. There are some great sunset views, a
                spot for one tent and several hammocks up there.

                Dave

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...>
                wrote:

                > Dave,
                >
                > I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills
                Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges
                during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We
                stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we
                where.

                > The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down
                the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the
                night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We
                talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide
                for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the
                Bartram trail in Georgia.

                > I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia
                section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                > Bobby
                >
                > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                <slowhike@>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                > camping<g>?
                > >

                > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered
                trees...
                > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that
                area
                > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was
                kind
                > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt
                motorcyclist
                > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make
                it
                > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                >
                > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                >
                > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                >
                > Dave

              • Robert Woods
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                  Dave,

                  Thanks for the info. I will save it and review when we get ready to hke that section.

                  Bobby