Double Bottom 1.1oz ripstop prototype

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
      I sewed up a new hammock yesterday afternoon and slept in it very
      comfortably last night.

      It is made of 2 layers of 1.1 oz ripstop, and a chord cut bug net
      made of noseeum, similar to my previous two hammocks.

      I trimmed the layers of the hammock to 4' x 10' and attached 1"
      polypro straps, 15 feet long.

      Weight: hammock: 19.6 oz (in stuff sack)

      When I add the 10 x 5 foot tarp with spectra cords, (10.4 oz in stuff
      sack) I get a total package weight of 30 oz (1.9 pounds) same as
      the weight of my quilt. This is a little heavier than the HH, but
      allows me enough tarp to sit in the hammock in the rain and pack my
      gear for the day... Quite a nice way to get started in the morning.

      Compared with the weight of the polyester hammock I used on the AT 2
      weeks ago, the new hammock is 6 oz lighter.

      Rick
    • robi dawson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
        Rick, got photos available?

        Robi

        At 03:22 PM 6/2/03 +0000, you wrote:
        I sewed up a new hammock yesterday afternoon and slept in it very
        comfortably last night.

        It is made of 2 layers of 1.1 oz ripstop, and a chord cut bug net
        made of noseeum, similar to my previous two hammocks.

        I trimmed the layers of the hammock to 4' x 10' and attached 1"
        polypro straps, 15 feet long.

        Weight:  hammock: 19.6 oz (in stuff sack)

        When I add the 10 x 5 foot tarp with spectra cords, (10.4 oz in stuff
        sack)  I get a total package weight of 30 oz (1.9 pounds)  same as
        the weight of my quilt.  This is a little heavier than the HH, but
        allows me enough tarp to sit in the hammock in the rain and pack my
        gear for the day...  Quite a nice way to get started in the morning.

        Compared with the weight of the polyester hammock I used on the AT 2
        weeks ago, the new hammock is 6 oz lighter.

        Rick

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        1f00609.jpg
        1f007ae.jpg

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
          Message
          Rick, I'm anxious to also try a double 1.1 ripstop hammock--my experience with a single layer 1.1 is dismal!  Hope yours works well.  Your progress sounds intriguing....Ed

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
            Ed,

            I understand your results were not good with the single thickness 1.1
            oz... The double bottom seems much stronger. I hate to put it to
            real stress with a 400 pound load for now... I did that with my
            double bottom 1.9 oz ripstop as you remember with no problem. I also
            wonder if the white single thickness hammock I had which failed was
            1.1 oz instead of 1.9 oz. Perhaps I will take that material out some
            day and accurately weigh it.

            I did have one small failure of the hammock last night... I was
            reaching down toward my midsection to poke the quilt under my hip
            when my fingernail caught the bug net. Before I knew what I had
            done, I had made a rip in the bug net about an inch and a half long.
            I will try a small patch of noseeum and some superglue to fix that.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
              Message
              Interesting Rick, I now have about 3,500 hours in my 1.9 oz/sq yd ripstop hammock with only slight damage along the outter edges at each end where some small 0.1-0.5" rips occur.  I've now determined that these are due to my repeatedly grabbing the edges of the hammock there to pull myself back to the center of the hammock--ie, I sometimes slide toward the foot end of the hammock during the night and then grab the sides near the head end to pull myself back to center.  Apparently my fingernails cause small tears in the fabric.  However, the hammock is still quite functionable and I see no reason I can't get 4,000 hours or even more. The bugnet, velcro, polypro straps, etc are all showing no wear or damage.

              People with long fingernails may need to exercise extra caution in a hammock!  ...Ed

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
                Hi Ed,

                I believe it was you I learned from that if one puts one end of the
                hammock up about 4-6 inches and the feet are put at that end, it
                solves the problem of sliding down in the hammock... That and I try,
                when it is necessary to pull my head toward the head end, to pull
                from the far side of the knot instead of from the edges of the
                hammock... The failure I had of the white 1.9 oz hammock was of this
                edge, and it ended up ripping about 3-4 inches before I discovered it.

                As to the little tear of the bug net... I had really short
                fingernails, but an edge must have been a little sharp. When I
                pulled on the quilt, it slit the bug net. Tonight I was able to
                repair that little rip with the zig-zag stitch on the sewing machine.

                I first tried to repair same with a little patch of ripstop glued to
                the bugnet with superglue... Don't try this. the glue does not
                stick to bug net at all... however it does stick to fingers when you
                try to get the bug net to stick!

                > Interesting Rick, I now have about 3,500 hours in my 1.9 oz/sq yd
                > ripstop hammock with only slight damage along the outter edges at
                each
                > end where some small 0.1-0.5" rips occur. I've now determined that
                > these are due to my repeatedly grabbing the edges of the hammock
                there
                > to pull myself back to the center of the hammock--ie, I sometimes
                slide
                > toward the foot end of the hammock during the night and then grab
                the
                > sides near the head end to pull myself back to center. Apparently
                my
                > fingernails cause small tears in the fabric. However, the hammock
                is
                > still quite functionable and I see no reason I can't get 4,000
                hours or
                > even more. The bugnet, velcro, polypro straps, etc are all showing
                no
                > wear or damage.
                >
                > People with long fingernails may need to exercise extra caution in a
                > hammock! ...Ed

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
                05

                065843:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
                mq

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 6, 2003
                  Robi,

                  Check out (in the flyfisher album of pics to the left)
                  20ozdoublebottom.jpg

                  Rick

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
                  wrote:
                  > Rick, got photos available?
                  >
                  > Robi
                  >

                  > At 03:22 PM 6/2/03 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >I sewed up a new hammock yesterday afternoon and slept in it very
                  > >comfortably last night.
                  > >
                  > >It is made of 2 layers of 1.1 oz ripstop, and a chord cut bug net
                  > >made of noseeum, similar to my previous two hammocks.
                  > >
                  > >I trimmed the layers of the hammock to 4' x 10' and attached 1"
                  > >polypro straps, 15 feet long.
                  > >
                  > >Weight: hammock: 19.6 oz (in stuff sack)
                  > >
                  > >When I add the 10 x 5 foot tarp with spectra cords, (10.4 oz in
                  stuff
                  > >sack) I get a total package weight of 30 oz (1.9 pounds) same as
                  > >the weight of my quilt. This is a little heavier than the HH, but
                  > >allows me enough tarp to sit in the hammock in the rain and pack my
                  > >gear for the day... Quite a nice way to get started in the
                  morning.

                  > >Compared with the weight of the polyester hammock I used on the AT
                  2
                  > >weeks ago, the new hammock is 6 oz lighter.
                  > >
                  > >Rick
                  > >

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >
                  ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
                  705065843:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12ongbbsq/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-
                  bin/autoredir?
                  camp=556&lineid=3179269&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>1f00609.jpg