RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
      Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
      photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
      your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
      know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
      allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
      the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certian files that I
      might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
      with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
        And yet another option is to use cd-roms for each "folder" and burn a
        disk every once in a while and save the cd-roms in an organized fashion.

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
          you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
          what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer yet.
          i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services?
          you can email me direct at slowhike@...
          after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>. ...tim

          Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
          Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
          photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
          your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
          know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
          allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
          the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files that I
          might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
          with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
          .

        • mrbyer
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
            AVG by grisoft is awesome. Best of all it is free.

            Here is a link to Cnet's download website which has reviews and more:

            > you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
            > what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together
            w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we
            have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my
            computer yet.
            > i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed
            mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton
            antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on
            norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus
            services?
            > you can email me direct at slowhike@...
            > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything
            else<G>. ...tim

            > Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
            > Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock
            camping
            > photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to
            go with
            > your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the
            two, but I
            > know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
            > allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any
            day in
            > the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files
            that I
            > might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not
            affiliated
            > with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
            > .

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
              Norton is one of the best. If you download google pack, which is free, you
              also get a free copy of Norton. It is not an eval copy either, it is fully
              functional.

              http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us

              --
              Scott
              www.HikeHaven.com

              uphttp://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us w/.
              we have
              > talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer
              > yet. i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad,
              > but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus
              > runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the
              > other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services? you can email
              > me direct at slowhike@...
              > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>.
              > ...tim

            • Robert Woods
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                Dave,

                I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we where.

                The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the Bartram trail in Georgia.

                I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                Bobby

                Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                camping<g>?

                Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
                almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
                and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
                of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
                in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
                over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.

                If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992

                These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                http://tinyurl.com/t425g

                Dave

                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                  Bobby,

                  John writes excellent guide books.

                  The Georgia section of the Bartram Trail has some great campsites
                  along the Chatooga River, some neat small waterfalls and the viewing
                  tower on Raburn Bald. A couple of times I have been on Raburn Bald
                  when there was a recent hatch of small, troublesome, flying insects.
                  That is a bummer when that happens as you don't want to hang around
                  and take in the view. Most of the times I have been there, you take
                  a nap or have a lunch break. The section between Warwoman Dell and
                  the Chatooga River has the most impressive spider webs I have run
                  into. They are so strong they almost stop you in your tracks when
                  you run into them. They are impressive and I think you will remember
                  them if you encounter them. I enchanged posts with a fellow from
                  Florida, I believe, on a Georgia hiking site I frequent who had
                  turned the Georgia Bartram Trail into a loop hike by adding about an
                  8 mile roadwalk along the forest service roads to connect the two
                  trailheads. I think he may have shaved a few miles off by exiting
                  Raburn Bald to the east via the Three Forks Trail(?) as well. Hope
                  you enjoy the hike. If you are up to it, there is a great vista on a
                  step side trail up to Pinnacle Peak, or some name like that, seems
                  like it is less than a mile off the trail. I think it is about 4
                  miles north of Warwoman Dell. There are some great sunset views, a
                  spot for one tent and several hammocks up there.

                  Dave

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Dave,
                  >
                  > I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills
                  Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges
                  during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We
                  stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we
                  where.

                  > The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down
                  the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the
                  night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We
                  talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide
                  for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the
                  Bartram trail in Georgia.

                  > I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia
                  section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                  > Bobby
                  >
                  > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                  <slowhike@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >

                  > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                  > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                  > camping<g>?
                  > >

                  > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                  > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                  > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                  > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                  > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                  > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                  > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                  > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                  > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                  > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                  > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered
                  trees...
                  > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that
                  area
                  > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was
                  kind
                  > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                  > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt
                  motorcyclist
                  > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                  > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make
                  it
                  > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                  > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                  >
                  > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                  > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                  > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                  >
                  > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                  > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                  >
                  > Dave

                • Robert Woods
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                    Dave,

                    Thanks for the info. I will save it and review when we get ready to hke that section.

                    Bobby