Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
      i`m just a beginer w/ computers, but i belive i do need to get an external hard drive to store photos & stuff on.
      gotta be able to keep up w/ the latest hammock gear. ...tim

      Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
      Ouch!

      I backup of everything often enough that I keep a backup folder on my
      d-drive with shortcuts to all the pertinent places:
      C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\Mozilla

      This includes programs like Thunderbird and Mailwasher. It can also
      include my personal dictionary in MS word and installed system icons.

      I particularly backup these things before running ghost.exe or
      reinstalling things. I did this before installing the new Firefox 2.

      Of course all this computer chat is related to hammocks in two ways: 1)
      functional computers are necessary to keep abreast of the rapidly
      evolving hammock technology and 2) always have backup or do routine
      system checks because something somehow will let you down, often
      literally (more ouch!)

      CL..

    • Tom Blum
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
        Tim,

        Be aware that having an external hard drive only gets you half way there if you run XP.

        You need Ghost to copy useable backup. The standard system backup software will put a backup on the external hard drive, but will be unable to detect it when you want to restore.

        The whole "system state" thing is a fussy little bugger.
        Tom

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
          Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
          photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
          your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
          know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
          allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
          the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certian files that I
          might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
          with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
            And yet another option is to use cd-roms for each "folder" and burn a
            disk every once in a while and save the cd-roms in an organized fashion.

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
              you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
              what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer yet.
              i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services?
              you can email me direct at slowhike@...
              after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>. ...tim

              Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
              Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
              photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
              your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
              know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
              allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
              the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files that I
              might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
              with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
              .

            • mrbyer
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                AVG by grisoft is awesome. Best of all it is free.

                Here is a link to Cnet's download website which has reviews and more:

                > you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                > what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together
                w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we
                have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my
                computer yet.
                > i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed
                mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton
                antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on
                norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus
                services?
                > you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything
                else<G>. ...tim

                > Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                > Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock
                camping
                > photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to
                go with
                > your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the
                two, but I
                > know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                > allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any
                day in
                > the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files
                that I
                > might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not
                affiliated
                > with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
                > .

              • Scott
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                  Norton is one of the best. If you download google pack, which is free, you
                  also get a free copy of Norton. It is not an eval copy either, it is fully
                  functional.

                  http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us

                  --
                  Scott
                  www.HikeHaven.com

                  uphttp://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us w/.
                  we have
                  > talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer
                  > yet. i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad,
                  > but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus
                  > runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the
                  > other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services? you can email
                  > me direct at slowhike@...
                  > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>.
                  > ...tim

                • Robert Woods
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                    Dave,

                    I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we where.

                    The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the Bartram trail in Georgia.

                    I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                    Bobby

                    Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                    > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                    of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                    camping<g>?

                    Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                    a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                    authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                    book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                    notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                    campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                    behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                    large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                    had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                    before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                    cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
                    almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
                    and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
                    of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                    country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
                    in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                    much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
                    over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                    thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.

                    If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                    posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                    they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992

                    These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                    http://tinyurl.com/t425g

                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                      Bobby,

                      John writes excellent guide books.

                      The Georgia section of the Bartram Trail has some great campsites
                      along the Chatooga River, some neat small waterfalls and the viewing
                      tower on Raburn Bald. A couple of times I have been on Raburn Bald
                      when there was a recent hatch of small, troublesome, flying insects.
                      That is a bummer when that happens as you don't want to hang around
                      and take in the view. Most of the times I have been there, you take
                      a nap or have a lunch break. The section between Warwoman Dell and
                      the Chatooga River has the most impressive spider webs I have run
                      into. They are so strong they almost stop you in your tracks when
                      you run into them. They are impressive and I think you will remember
                      them if you encounter them. I enchanged posts with a fellow from
                      Florida, I believe, on a Georgia hiking site I frequent who had
                      turned the Georgia Bartram Trail into a loop hike by adding about an
                      8 mile roadwalk along the forest service roads to connect the two
                      trailheads. I think he may have shaved a few miles off by exiting
                      Raburn Bald to the east via the Three Forks Trail(?) as well. Hope
                      you enjoy the hike. If you are up to it, there is a great vista on a
                      step side trail up to Pinnacle Peak, or some name like that, seems
                      like it is less than a mile off the trail. I think it is about 4
                      miles north of Warwoman Dell. There are some great sunset views, a
                      spot for one tent and several hammocks up there.

                      Dave

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Dave,
                      >
                      > I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills
                      Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges
                      during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We
                      stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we
                      where.

                      > The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down
                      the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the
                      night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We
                      talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide
                      for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the
                      Bartram trail in Georgia.

                      > I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia
                      section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                      > Bobby
                      >
                      > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                      <slowhike@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                      > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                      > camping<g>?
                      > >

                      > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                      > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                      > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                      > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                      > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                      > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                      > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                      > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                      > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                      > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                      > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered
                      trees...
                      > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that
                      area
                      > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was
                      kind
                      > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                      > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt
                      motorcyclist
                      > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                      > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make
                      it
                      > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                      > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                      >
                      > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                      > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                      > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                      >
                      > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                      > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                      >
                      > Dave

                    • Robert Woods
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                        Dave,

                        Thanks for the info. I will save it and review when we get ready to hke that section.

                        Bobby