Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
      Ouch!

      I backup of everything often enough that I keep a backup folder on my
      d-drive with shortcuts to all the pertinent places:
      C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\Mozilla

      This includes programs like Thunderbird and Mailwasher. It can also
      include my personal dictionary in MS word and installed system icons.

      I particularly backup these things before running ghost.exe or
      reinstalling things. I did this before installing the new Firefox 2.

      Of course all this computer chat is related to hammocks in two ways: 1)
      functional computers are necessary to keep abreast of the rapidly
      evolving hammock technology and 2) always have backup or do routine
      system checks because something somehow will let you down, often
      literally (more ouch!)

      CL

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
          Tim,

          Be aware that having an external hard drive only gets you half way there if you run XP.

          You need Ghost to copy useable backup. The standard system backup software will put a backup on the external hard drive, but will be unable to detect it when you want to restore.

          The whole "system state" thing is a fussy little bugger.
          Tom

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
            Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
            photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
            your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
            know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
            allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
            the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certian files that I
            might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
            with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
              And yet another option is to use cd-roms for each "folder" and burn a
              disk every once in a while and save the cd-roms in an organized fashion.

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer yet.
                i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services?
                you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>. ...tim

                Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files that I
                might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
                with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
                .

              • mrbyer
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                  AVG by grisoft is awesome. Best of all it is free.

                  Here is a link to Cnet's download website which has reviews and more:

                  > you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                  > what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together
                  w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we
                  have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my
                  computer yet.
                  > i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed
                  mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton
                  antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on
                  norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus
                  services?
                  > you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                  > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything
                  else<G>. ...tim

                  > Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                  > Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock
                  camping
                  > photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to
                  go with
                  > your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the
                  two, but I
                  > know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                  > allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any
                  day in
                  > the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files
                  that I
                  > might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not
                  affiliated
                  > with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
                  > .

                • Scott
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                    Norton is one of the best. If you download google pack, which is free, you
                    also get a free copy of Norton. It is not an eval copy either, it is fully
                    functional.

                    http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us

                    --
                    Scott
                    www.HikeHaven.com

                    uphttp://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us w/.
                    we have
                    > talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer
                    > yet. i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad,
                    > but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus
                    > runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the
                    > other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services? you can email
                    > me direct at slowhike@...
                    > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>.
                    > ...tim

                  • Robert Woods
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                      Dave,

                      I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we where.

                      The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the Bartram trail in Georgia.

                      I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                      Bobby

                      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                      > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                      of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                      camping<g>?

                      Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                      a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                      authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                      book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                      notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                      campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                      behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                      large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                      had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                      before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                      cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
                      almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
                      and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
                      of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                      country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
                      in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                      much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
                      over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                      thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.

                      If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                      posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                      they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992

                      These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                      http://tinyurl.com/t425g

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                        Bobby,

                        John writes excellent guide books.

                        The Georgia section of the Bartram Trail has some great campsites
                        along the Chatooga River, some neat small waterfalls and the viewing
                        tower on Raburn Bald. A couple of times I have been on Raburn Bald
                        when there was a recent hatch of small, troublesome, flying insects.
                        That is a bummer when that happens as you don't want to hang around
                        and take in the view. Most of the times I have been there, you take
                        a nap or have a lunch break. The section between Warwoman Dell and
                        the Chatooga River has the most impressive spider webs I have run
                        into. They are so strong they almost stop you in your tracks when
                        you run into them. They are impressive and I think you will remember
                        them if you encounter them. I enchanged posts with a fellow from
                        Florida, I believe, on a Georgia hiking site I frequent who had
                        turned the Georgia Bartram Trail into a loop hike by adding about an
                        8 mile roadwalk along the forest service roads to connect the two
                        trailheads. I think he may have shaved a few miles off by exiting
                        Raburn Bald to the east via the Three Forks Trail(?) as well. Hope
                        you enjoy the hike. If you are up to it, there is a great vista on a
                        step side trail up to Pinnacle Peak, or some name like that, seems
                        like it is less than a mile off the trail. I think it is about 4
                        miles north of Warwoman Dell. There are some great sunset views, a
                        spot for one tent and several hammocks up there.

                        Dave

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Dave,
                        >
                        > I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills
                        Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges
                        during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We
                        stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we
                        where.

                        > The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down
                        the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the
                        night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We
                        talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide
                        for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the
                        Bartram trail in Georgia.

                        > I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia
                        section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                        > Bobby
                        >
                        > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                        <slowhike@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >

                        > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                        > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                        > camping<g>?
                        > >

                        > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                        > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                        > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                        > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                        > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                        > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                        > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                        > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                        > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                        > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                        > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered
                        trees...
                        > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that
                        area
                        > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was
                        kind
                        > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                        > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt
                        motorcyclist
                        > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                        > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make
                        it
                        > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                        > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                        >
                        > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                        > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                        > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                        >
                        > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                        > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                        >
                        > Dave

                      • Robert Woods
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                          Dave,

                          Thanks for the info. I will save it and review when we get ready to hke that section.

                          Bobby