Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
      i think it was the new version of firefox. i belive it was doing fine untill they "up-graded" it<g>
      i came in from a backpacking trip a couple weekends ago & it was swiched back to internet explorer. i thought at first that my nephew had done it, but mabey not?
      IE seems to be working fine now. i just lost all my bookmarks. ...tim

      Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
      I've always had both on the same computer. In fact, FireFox has an IE
      tab that works only if you have IE installed.

      Is it FireFox 2 you're having trouble with? A lot of people are.

      CL
      0

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
        Ouch!

        I backup of everything often enough that I keep a backup folder on my
        d-drive with shortcuts to all the pertinent places:
        C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\Mozilla

        This includes programs like Thunderbird and Mailwasher. It can also
        include my personal dictionary in MS word and installed system icons.

        I particularly backup these things before running ghost.exe or
        reinstalling things. I did this before installing the new Firefox 2.

        Of course all this computer chat is related to hammocks in two ways: 1)
        functional computers are necessary to keep abreast of the rapidly
        evolving hammock technology and 2) always have backup or do routine
        system checks because something somehow will let you down, often
        literally (more ouch!)

        CL

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
            Tim,

            Be aware that having an external hard drive only gets you half way there if you run XP.

            You need Ghost to copy useable backup. The standard system backup software will put a backup on the external hard drive, but will be unable to detect it when you want to restore.

            The whole "system state" thing is a fussy little bugger.
            Tom

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
              Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
              photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
              your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
              know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
              allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
              the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certian files that I
              might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
              with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                And yet another option is to use cd-roms for each "folder" and burn a
                disk every once in a while and save the cd-roms in an organized fashion.

                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                  you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                  what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer yet.
                  i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services?
                  you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                  after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>. ...tim

                  Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                  Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                  photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                  your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                  know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                  allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                  the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files that I
                  might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
                  with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
                  .

                • mrbyer
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                    AVG by grisoft is awesome. Best of all it is free.

                    Here is a link to Cnet's download website which has reviews and more:

                    > you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                    > what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together
                    w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we
                    have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my
                    computer yet.
                    > i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed
                    mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton
                    antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on
                    norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus
                    services?
                    > you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                    > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything
                    else<G>. ...tim

                    > Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                    > Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock
                    camping
                    > photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to
                    go with
                    > your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the
                    two, but I
                    > know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                    > allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any
                    day in
                    > the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files
                    that I
                    > might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not
                    affiliated
                    > with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
                    > .

                  • Scott
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                      Norton is one of the best. If you download google pack, which is free, you
                      also get a free copy of Norton. It is not an eval copy either, it is fully
                      functional.

                      http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us

                      --
                      Scott
                      www.HikeHaven.com

                      uphttp://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us w/.
                      we have
                      > talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer
                      > yet. i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad,
                      > but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus
                      > runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the
                      > other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services? you can email
                      > me direct at slowhike@...
                      > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>.
                      > ...tim

                    • Robert Woods
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                        Dave,

                        I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we where.

                        The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the Bartram trail in Georgia.

                        I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                        Bobby

                        Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                        > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                        of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                        camping<g>?

                        Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                        a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                        authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                        book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                        notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                        campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                        behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                        large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                        had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                        before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                        cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
                        almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
                        and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
                        of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                        country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
                        in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                        much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
                        over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                        thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.

                        If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                        posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                        they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992

                        These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                        http://tinyurl.com/t425g

                        Dave

                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                          Bobby,

                          John writes excellent guide books.

                          The Georgia section of the Bartram Trail has some great campsites
                          along the Chatooga River, some neat small waterfalls and the viewing
                          tower on Raburn Bald. A couple of times I have been on Raburn Bald
                          when there was a recent hatch of small, troublesome, flying insects.
                          That is a bummer when that happens as you don't want to hang around
                          and take in the view. Most of the times I have been there, you take
                          a nap or have a lunch break. The section between Warwoman Dell and
                          the Chatooga River has the most impressive spider webs I have run
                          into. They are so strong they almost stop you in your tracks when
                          you run into them. They are impressive and I think you will remember
                          them if you encounter them. I enchanged posts with a fellow from
                          Florida, I believe, on a Georgia hiking site I frequent who had
                          turned the Georgia Bartram Trail into a loop hike by adding about an
                          8 mile roadwalk along the forest service roads to connect the two
                          trailheads. I think he may have shaved a few miles off by exiting
                          Raburn Bald to the east via the Three Forks Trail(?) as well. Hope
                          you enjoy the hike. If you are up to it, there is a great vista on a
                          step side trail up to Pinnacle Peak, or some name like that, seems
                          like it is less than a mile off the trail. I think it is about 4
                          miles north of Warwoman Dell. There are some great sunset views, a
                          spot for one tent and several hammocks up there.

                          Dave

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Dave,
                          >
                          > I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills
                          Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges
                          during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We
                          stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we
                          where.

                          > The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down
                          the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the
                          night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We
                          talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide
                          for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the
                          Bartram trail in Georgia.

                          > I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia
                          section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                          > Bobby
                          >
                          > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                          <slowhike@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >

                          > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                          > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                          > camping<g>?
                          > >

                          > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                          > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                          > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                          > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                          > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                          > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                          > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                          > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                          > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                          > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                          > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered
                          trees...
                          > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that
                          area
                          > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was
                          kind
                          > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                          > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt
                          motorcyclist
                          > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                          > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make
                          it
                          > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                          > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                          >
                          > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                          > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                          > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                          >
                          > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                          > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                          >
                          > Dave

                        • Robert Woods
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                            Dave,

                            Thanks for the info. I will save it and review when we get ready to hke that section.

                            Bobby