Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
      i went back & found that if i put my curser (arrow) on a thumbnail, it would show your description. ...tim

      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim, it is not my web site. On IE, the descriptions seperate from the
      small photos when you scroll down the page to see the enlarged photo.
      It doesn' do that on FireFox or Netscape. You can read the
      description in IE if you stay at the top of the page.

      Dave
      .

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
        i think it was the new version of firefox. i belive it was doing fine untill they "up-graded" it<g>
        i came in from a backpacking trip a couple weekends ago & it was swiched back to internet explorer. i thought at first that my nephew had done it, but mabey not?
        IE seems to be working fine now. i just lost all my bookmarks. ...tim

        Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
        I've always had both on the same computer. In fact, FireFox has an IE
        tab that works only if you have IE installed.

        Is it FireFox 2 you're having trouble with? A lot of people are.

        CL
        0

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
          Ouch!

          I backup of everything often enough that I keep a backup folder on my
          d-drive with shortcuts to all the pertinent places:
          C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\Mozilla

          This includes programs like Thunderbird and Mailwasher. It can also
          include my personal dictionary in MS word and installed system icons.

          I particularly backup these things before running ghost.exe or
          reinstalling things. I did this before installing the new Firefox 2.

          Of course all this computer chat is related to hammocks in two ways: 1)
          functional computers are necessary to keep abreast of the rapidly
          evolving hammock technology and 2) always have backup or do routine
          system checks because something somehow will let you down, often
          literally (more ouch!)

          CL

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
              Tim,

              Be aware that having an external hard drive only gets you half way there if you run XP.

              You need Ghost to copy useable backup. The standard system backup software will put a backup on the external hard drive, but will be unable to detect it when you want to restore.

              The whole "system state" thing is a fussy little bugger.
              Tom

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certian files that I
                might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
                with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.

                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                  And yet another option is to use cd-roms for each "folder" and burn a
                  disk every once in a while and save the cd-roms in an organized fashion.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                    you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                    what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer yet.
                    i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services?
                    you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                    after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>. ...tim

                    Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                    Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                    photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                    your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                    know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                    allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                    the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files that I

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                      AVG by grisoft is awesome. Best of all it is free.

                      Here is a link to Cnet's download website which has reviews and more:

                      > you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                      > what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together
                      w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we
                      have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my
                      computer yet.
                      > i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed
                      mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton
                      antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on
                      norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus
                      services?
                      > you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                      > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything
                      else<G>. ...tim

                      > Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                      > Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock
                      camping
                      > photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to
                      go with
                      > your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the
                      two, but I
                      > know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                      > allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any
                      day in
                      > the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files
                      that I
                      > might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not
                      affiliated
                      > with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
                      > .

                    • Scott
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                        Norton is one of the best. If you download google pack, which is free, you
                        also get a free copy of Norton. It is not an eval copy either, it is fully
                        functional.

                        http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us

                        --
                        Scott
                        www.HikeHaven.com

                        uphttp://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us w/.
                        we have
                        > talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer
                        > yet. i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad,
                        > but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus
                        > runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the
                        > other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services? you can email
                        > me direct at slowhike@...
                        > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>.
                        > ...tim

                      • Robert Woods
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                          Dave,

                          I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we where.

                          The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the Bartram trail in Georgia.

                          I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                          Bobby

                          Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                          > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                          of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                          camping<g>?

                          Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                          a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                          authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                          book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                          notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                          campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                          behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                          large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                          had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                          before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                          cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
                          almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
                          and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
                          of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                          country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
                          in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                          much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
                          over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                          thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.

                          If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                          posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                          they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992

                          These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                          http://tinyurl.com/t425g

                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                            Bobby,

                            John writes excellent guide books.

                            The Georgia section of the Bartram Trail has some great campsites
                            along the Chatooga River, some neat small waterfalls and the viewing
                            tower on Raburn Bald. A couple of times I have been on Raburn Bald
                            when there was a recent hatch of small, troublesome, flying insects.
                            That is a bummer when that happens as you don't want to hang around
                            and take in the view. Most of the times I have been there, you take
                            a nap or have a lunch break. The section between Warwoman Dell and
                            the Chatooga River has the most impressive spider webs I have run
                            into. They are so strong they almost stop you in your tracks when
                            you run into them. They are impressive and I think you will remember
                            them if you encounter them. I enchanged posts with a fellow from
                            Florida, I believe, on a Georgia hiking site I frequent who had
                            turned the Georgia Bartram Trail into a loop hike by adding about an
                            8 mile roadwalk along the forest service roads to connect the two
                            trailheads. I think he may have shaved a few miles off by exiting
                            Raburn Bald to the east via the Three Forks Trail(?) as well. Hope
                            you enjoy the hike. If you are up to it, there is a great vista on a
                            step side trail up to Pinnacle Peak, or some name like that, seems
                            like it is less than a mile off the trail. I think it is about 4
                            miles north of Warwoman Dell. There are some great sunset views, a
                            spot for one tent and several hammocks up there.

                            Dave

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Dave,
                            >
                            > I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills
                            Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges
                            during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We
                            stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we
                            where.

                            > The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down
                            the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the
                            night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We
                            talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide
                            for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the
                            Bartram trail in Georgia.

                            > I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia
                            section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                            > Bobby
                            >
                            > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                            <slowhike@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >

                            > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                            > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                            > camping<g>?
                            > >

                            > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                            > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                            > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                            > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                            > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                            > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                            > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                            > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                            > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                            > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                            > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered
                            trees...
                            > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that
                            area
                            > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was
                            kind
                            > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                            > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt
                            motorcyclist
                            > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                            > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make
                            it
                            > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                            > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                            >
                            > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                            > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                            > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                            >
                            > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                            > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                            >
                            > Dave

                          • Robert Woods
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                              Dave,

                              Thanks for the info. I will save it and review when we get ready to hke that section.

                              Bobby