RE: Hammock Camping Re: I need help!!

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
      Message
      Kim, this is an excellent question--unfortunately I've never been willing to personally test the possibilities!  Obviously anyone close to a tree being struck by lighting is likely to get seriously hurt or even killed.  I don't know of an actual case of a hammock user being hit, but I can't imagine it turning out well.  Although the scientist in me wants to argure that a hammock user would be safely isolated from the conductive tree or ground by the poor-conductive hanging ropes/straps and the nylon fabric, I do know that the electrical strike often arcs or jumps from the tree to the much-more conductive ground.  This produces the usual splittng of the tree and often the explosive fragmenting of the tree which sends deadly slivers and splinters of the tree in all directions.  Anyone unfortunate enought to be nearby, including a hammock user, can get seriously hurt.  Of course, large falling branches or trees might also be deadly.

      In addition anyone caught within the zone of arc between the tree and the ground when the charge jumps is likely to suffer deadly electricution (same phenomenon that can happen when lightening strikes a rock shelter or overhang--anyone inside can get fried).  This all makes me very wary of electrical stroms--thus I try to avoid exposed or high ground when choosing hammock sites when stroms are expected...Ed

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
        Kim,

        Dittos to all the below.

        Though I am willing to do some rather crazy testing, going out in
        lightning for the fun of it is not part of my schedule for the
        forseeable future.

        However, the scientist in me would propose the following list to
        directly answer your question:

        - crush injury (including brain)
        - perforation of body organ
        - electrocution
        - large burns
        - nomination for the Darwin Award

        Would I rather be in a hammock during an electrical storm than on the
        ground? You betcha! If those are the only two choices, I'd rather
        be lying under my quilt, with my eyes shut, when the lightning
        strikes. It might offer protection from the electrical pulse in the
        ground from a nearby strike. If a direct strike, why not be lying
        down peacefully and relaxed, instead of crouching like a ball,
        standing on my now soaked sleeping pad? I figure a direct strike
        will cause an almost immediate meeting our maker regardless.

        > Kim, this is an excellent question--unfortunately I've never been
        > willing to personally test the possibilities! Obviously anyone
        close to
        > a tree being struck by lighting is likely to get seriously hurt or
        even
        > killed. I don't know of an actual case of a hammock user being
        hit, but
        > I can't imagine it turning out well. Although the scientist in me
        wants
        > to argure that a hammock user would be safely isolated from the
        > conductive tree or ground by the poor-conductive hanging
        ropes/straps
        > and the nylon fabric, I do know that the electrical strike often
        arcs or
        > jumps from the tree to the much-more conductive ground. This
        produces
        > the usual splittng of the tree and often the explosive fragmenting
        of
        > the tree which sends deadly slivers and splinters of the tree in all
        > directions. Anyone unfortunate enought to be nearby, including a
        > hammock user, can get seriously hurt. Of course, large falling
        branches
        > or trees might also be deadly.
        >
        > In addition anyone caught within the zone of arc between the tree
        and
        > the ground when the charge jumps is likely to suffer deadly
        > electricution (same phenomenon that can happen when lightening
        strikes a
        > rock shelter or overhang--anyone inside can get fried). This all
        makes
        > me very wary of electrical stroms--thus I try to avoid exposed or
        high
        > ground when choosing hammock sites when stroms are expected...Ed

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
        05
        > 065843:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16njr0a22/*http://ads.x10.com/?
        bHlhaG9vaG0xL
        > mRhd=1054517234%
        3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065