Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
      man, i wish i could read your descriptions dave. i recently swiched back to IE because i was having so much trouble w/ firefox. i don`t guess you can have both on the same computer?
      great photos. makes me wish i was there.
      that`s pretty interresting about the stelth camp site. i saw what looked like an old shed roof in one photo & in the next photo, was that part of a sm plane or what? ...tim

      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
      wrote:

      > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
      of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
      camping?

      Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
      a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
      authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
      book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
      notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
      campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
      behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
      large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
      had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
      before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
      cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
      almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
      and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
      of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
      country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
      in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
      much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
      over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
      thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.

      If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
      posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
      they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992

      These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
      http://tinyurl.com/t425g

      Dave

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
        Tim, it is not my web site. On IE, the descriptions seperate from the
        small photos when you scroll down the page to see the enlarged photo.
        It doesn' do that on FireFox or Netscape. You can read the
        description in IE if you stay at the top of the page.

        Dave

        > man, i wish i could read your descriptions dave. i recently swiched
        back to IE because i was having so much trouble w/ firefox. i don`t
        guess you can have both on the same computer?
        > great photos. makes me wish i was there.
        > that`s pretty interresting about the stelth camp site. i saw what
        looked like an old shed roof in one photo & in the next photo, was
        that part of a sm plane or what? ...tim

        > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
        > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
        > camping?
        > >

        > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
        > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
        > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
        > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
        > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
        > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
        > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
        > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
        > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
        > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
        > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
        > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
        > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
        > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
        > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
        > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
        > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
        > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
        > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
        >
        > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
        > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
        > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
        >
        > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
        > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
        >
        > Dave

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
          I've always had both on the same computer. In fact, FireFox has an IE
          tab that works only if you have IE installed.

          Is it FireFox 2 you're having trouble with? A lot of people are.

          CL

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
              i think it was the new version of firefox. i belive it was doing fine untill they "up-graded" it<g>
              i came in from a backpacking trip a couple weekends ago & it was swiched back to internet explorer. i thought at first that my nephew had done it, but mabey not?
              IE seems to be working fine now. i just lost all my bookmarks. ...tim

              Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
              I've always had both on the same computer. In fact, FireFox has an IE
              tab that works only if you have IE installed.

              Is it FireFox 2 you're having trouble with? A lot of people are.

              CL
              0

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                Ouch!

                I backup of everything often enough that I keep a backup folder on my
                d-drive with shortcuts to all the pertinent places:
                C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\Mozilla

                This includes programs like Thunderbird and Mailwasher. It can also
                include my personal dictionary in MS word and installed system icons.

                I particularly backup these things before running ghost.exe or
                reinstalling things. I did this before installing the new Firefox 2.

                Of course all this computer chat is related to hammocks in two ways: 1)
                functional computers are necessary to keep abreast of the rapidly
                evolving hammock technology and 2) always have backup or do routine
                system checks because something somehow will let you down, often
                literally (more ouch!)

                CL

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                    Tim,

                    Be aware that having an external hard drive only gets you half way there if you run XP.

                    You need Ghost to copy useable backup. The standard system backup software will put a backup on the external hard drive, but will be unable to detect it when you want to restore.

                    The whole "system state" thing is a fussy little bugger.
                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                      Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                      photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                      your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                      know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                      allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                      the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certian files that I
                      might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
                      with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                        And yet another option is to use cd-roms for each "folder" and burn a
                        disk every once in a while and save the cd-roms in an organized fashion.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                          you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                          what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer yet.
                          i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services?
                          you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                          after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>. ...tim

                          Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                          Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                          photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                          your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                          know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                          allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                          the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files that I

                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                            AVG by grisoft is awesome. Best of all it is free.

                            Here is a link to Cnet's download website which has reviews and more:

                            > you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                            > what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together
                            w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we
                            have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my
                            computer yet.
                            > i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed
                            mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton
                            antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on
                            norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus
                            services?
                            > you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                            > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything
                            else<G>. ...tim

                            > Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                            > Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock
                            camping
                            > photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to
                            go with
                            > your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the
                            two, but I
                            > know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                            > allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any
                            day in
                            > the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files
                            that I
                            > might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not
                            affiliated
                            > with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
                            > .

                          • Scott
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                              Norton is one of the best. If you download google pack, which is free, you
                              also get a free copy of Norton. It is not an eval copy either, it is fully
                              functional.

                              http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us

                              --
                              Scott
                              www.HikeHaven.com

                              uphttp://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us w/.
                              we have
                              > talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer
                              > yet. i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad,
                              > but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus
                              > runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the
                              > other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services? you can email
                              > me direct at slowhike@...
                              > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>.
                              > ...tim

                            • Robert Woods
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                Dave,

                                I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we where.

                                The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the Bartram trail in Georgia.

                                I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                                Bobby

                                Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                                > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                                of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                                camping<g>?

                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                                  Bobby,

                                  John writes excellent guide books.

                                  The Georgia section of the Bartram Trail has some great campsites
                                  along the Chatooga River, some neat small waterfalls and the viewing
                                  tower on Raburn Bald. A couple of times I have been on Raburn Bald
                                  when there was a recent hatch of small, troublesome, flying insects.
                                  That is a bummer when that happens as you don't want to hang around
                                  and take in the view. Most of the times I have been there, you take
                                  a nap or have a lunch break. The section between Warwoman Dell and
                                  the Chatooga River has the most impressive spider webs I have run
                                  into. They are so strong they almost stop you in your tracks when
                                  you run into them. They are impressive and I think you will remember
                                  them if you encounter them. I enchanged posts with a fellow from
                                  Florida, I believe, on a Georgia hiking site I frequent who had
                                  turned the Georgia Bartram Trail into a loop hike by adding about an
                                  8 mile roadwalk along the forest service roads to connect the two
                                  trailheads. I think he may have shaved a few miles off by exiting
                                  Raburn Bald to the east via the Three Forks Trail(?) as well. Hope
                                  you enjoy the hike. If you are up to it, there is a great vista on a
                                  step side trail up to Pinnacle Peak, or some name like that, seems
                                  like it is less than a mile off the trail. I think it is about 4
                                  miles north of Warwoman Dell. There are some great sunset views, a
                                  spot for one tent and several hammocks up there.

                                  Dave

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Dave,
                                  >
                                  > I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills
                                  Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges
                                  during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We
                                  stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we
                                  where.

                                  > The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down
                                  the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the
                                  night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We
                                  talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide
                                  for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the
                                  Bartram trail in Georgia.

                                  > I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia
                                  section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                                  > Bobby
                                  >
                                  > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                                  <slowhike@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                                  > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                                  > camping<g>?
                                  > >

                                  > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                                  > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                                  > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                                  > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                                  > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                                  > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                                  > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                                  > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                                  > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                                  > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                                  > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered
                                  trees...
                                  > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that
                                  area
                                  > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was
                                  kind
                                  > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                                  > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt
                                  motorcyclist
                                  > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                                  > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make
                                  it
                                  > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                                  > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                                  >
                                  > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                                  > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                                  > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                                  >
                                  > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                                  > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                                  >
                                  > Dave

                                • Robert Woods
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                                    Dave,

                                    Thanks for the info. I will save it and review when we get ready to hke that section.

                                    Bobby