[Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006

      > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
      of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
      camping<g>?

      Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
      a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
      authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
      book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
      notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
      campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
      behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
      large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
      had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
      before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
      cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
      almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
      and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
      of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
      country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
      in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
      much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
      over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
      thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.

      If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
      posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
      they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992

      These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
      http://tinyurl.com/t425g

      Dave
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
        man, i wish i could read your descriptions dave. i recently swiched back to IE because i was having so much trouble w/ firefox. i don`t guess you can have both on the same computer?
        great photos. makes me wish i was there.
        that`s pretty interresting about the stelth camp site. i saw what looked like an old shed roof in one photo & in the next photo, was that part of a sm plane or what? ...tim

        Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
          Tim, it is not my web site. On IE, the descriptions seperate from the
          small photos when you scroll down the page to see the enlarged photo.
          It doesn' do that on FireFox or Netscape. You can read the
          description in IE if you stay at the top of the page.

          Dave

          > man, i wish i could read your descriptions dave. i recently swiched
          back to IE because i was having so much trouble w/ firefox. i don`t
          guess you can have both on the same computer?
          > great photos. makes me wish i was there.
          > that`s pretty interresting about the stelth camp site. i saw what
          looked like an old shed roof in one photo & in the next photo, was
          that part of a sm plane or what? ...tim

          > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
          > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
          > camping?
          > >

          > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
          > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
          > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
          > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
          > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
          > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
          > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
          > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
          > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
          > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
          > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
          > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
          > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
          > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
          > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
          > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
          > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
          > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
          > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
          >
          > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
          > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
          > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
          >
          > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
          > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
          >
          > Dave

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
            I've always had both on the same computer. In fact, FireFox has an IE
            tab that works only if you have IE installed.

            Is it FireFox 2 you're having trouble with? A lot of people are.

            CL

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                i think it was the new version of firefox. i belive it was doing fine untill they "up-graded" it<g>
                i came in from a backpacking trip a couple weekends ago & it was swiched back to internet explorer. i thought at first that my nephew had done it, but mabey not?
                IE seems to be working fine now. i just lost all my bookmarks. ...tim

                Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
                I've always had both on the same computer. In fact, FireFox has an IE
                tab that works only if you have IE installed.

                Is it FireFox 2 you're having trouble with? A lot of people are.

                CL
                0

              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Ouch!

                  I backup of everything often enough that I keep a backup folder on my
                  d-drive with shortcuts to all the pertinent places:
                  C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\Mozilla

                  This includes programs like Thunderbird and Mailwasher. It can also
                  include my personal dictionary in MS word and installed system icons.

                  I particularly backup these things before running ghost.exe or
                  reinstalling things. I did this before installing the new Firefox 2.

                  Of course all this computer chat is related to hammocks in two ways: 1)
                  functional computers are necessary to keep abreast of the rapidly
                  evolving hammock technology and 2) always have backup or do routine
                  system checks because something somehow will let you down, often
                  literally (more ouch!)

                  CL

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                      Tim,

                      Be aware that having an external hard drive only gets you half way there if you run XP.

                      You need Ghost to copy useable backup. The standard system backup software will put a backup on the external hard drive, but will be unable to detect it when you want to restore.

                      The whole "system state" thing is a fussy little bugger.
                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                        Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                        photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                        your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                        know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                        allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                        the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certian files that I
                        might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
                        with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                          And yet another option is to use cd-roms for each "folder" and burn a
                          disk every once in a while and save the cd-roms in an organized fashion.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                            you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                            what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer yet.
                            i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services?
                            you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                            after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>. ...tim

                            Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                            Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                            photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                            your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                            know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                            allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                            the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files that I

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                              AVG by grisoft is awesome. Best of all it is free.

                              Here is a link to Cnet's download website which has reviews and more:

                              > you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                              > what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together
                              w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we
                              have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my
                              computer yet.
                              > i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed
                              mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton
                              antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on
                              norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus
                              services?
                              > you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                              > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything
                              else<G>. ...tim

                              > Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                              > Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock
                              camping
                              > photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to
                              go with
                              > your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the
                              two, but I
                              > know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                              > allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any
                              day in
                              > the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files
                              that I
                              > might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not
                              affiliated
                              > with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
                              > .

                            • Scott
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                Norton is one of the best. If you download google pack, which is free, you
                                also get a free copy of Norton. It is not an eval copy either, it is fully
                                functional.

                                http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us

                                --
                                Scott
                                www.HikeHaven.com

                                uphttp://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us w/.
                                we have
                                > talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer
                                > yet. i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad,
                                > but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus
                                > runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the
                                > other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services? you can email
                                > me direct at slowhike@...
                                > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>.
                                > ...tim

                              • Robert Woods
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                  Dave,

                                  I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we where.

                                  The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the Bartram trail in Georgia.

                                  I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                                  Bobby

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                                    Bobby,

                                    John writes excellent guide books.

                                    The Georgia section of the Bartram Trail has some great campsites
                                    along the Chatooga River, some neat small waterfalls and the viewing
                                    tower on Raburn Bald. A couple of times I have been on Raburn Bald
                                    when there was a recent hatch of small, troublesome, flying insects.
                                    That is a bummer when that happens as you don't want to hang around
                                    and take in the view. Most of the times I have been there, you take
                                    a nap or have a lunch break. The section between Warwoman Dell and
                                    the Chatooga River has the most impressive spider webs I have run
                                    into. They are so strong they almost stop you in your tracks when
                                    you run into them. They are impressive and I think you will remember
                                    them if you encounter them. I enchanged posts with a fellow from
                                    Florida, I believe, on a Georgia hiking site I frequent who had
                                    turned the Georgia Bartram Trail into a loop hike by adding about an
                                    8 mile roadwalk along the forest service roads to connect the two
                                    trailheads. I think he may have shaved a few miles off by exiting
                                    Raburn Bald to the east via the Three Forks Trail(?) as well. Hope
                                    you enjoy the hike. If you are up to it, there is a great vista on a
                                    step side trail up to Pinnacle Peak, or some name like that, seems
                                    like it is less than a mile off the trail. I think it is about 4
                                    miles north of Warwoman Dell. There are some great sunset views, a
                                    spot for one tent and several hammocks up there.

                                    Dave

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Dave,
                                    >
                                    > I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills
                                    Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges
                                    during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We
                                    stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we
                                    where.

                                    > The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down
                                    the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the
                                    night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We
                                    talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide
                                    for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the
                                    Bartram trail in Georgia.

                                    > I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia
                                    section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                                    > Bobby
                                    >
                                    > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                                    <slowhike@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                                    > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                                    > camping<g>?
                                    > >

                                    > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                                    > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                                    > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                                    > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                                    > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                                    > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                                    > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                                    > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                                    > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                                    > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                                    > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered
                                    trees...
                                    > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that
                                    area
                                    > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was
                                    kind
                                    > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                                    > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt
                                    motorcyclist
                                    > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                                    > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make
                                    it
                                    > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                                    > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                                    >
                                    > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                                    > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                                    > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                                    >
                                    > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                                    > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                                    >
                                    > Dave

                                  • Robert Woods
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                                      Dave,

                                      Thanks for the info. I will save it and review when we get ready to hke that section.

                                      Bobby