Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
      Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim,

      I'm sorry, I guess I'm going to be difficult . I can't figure
      out enough of the specifics of your version 1 to comment so I'll
      throw out a bunch of questions and see if it leads to anything.

      Is the hammock fabric 1.9 oz rip stop nylon (RSN) or is it 1.1 RSN or
      is it some other material and is it calendered and/or have a DWR
      coating?
      ### the fabric is from the $1.00 bin & i belive it came out to over 2 ozs per sq yard. i don`t think it has any treatment, but it has a soft feel & look that reminds me of parichute material.

      Is the down contained in one large compartment like Rick's
      warm hammock or does it have several baffled chambers along the lines
      of what Jeff was doing at one time?
      ###if you look at the ist color drawing, i edited the caption to say version one (v1).
      that`s how i did it, w/ three horisonal compartments going from end to end.

      What are the dimensions of the
      hammock, the insulation and the dimensions where the shell attaches
      to the hammock?
      ###the hammock is 10' x 50".
      the side baffles are sewn at the top edges & they are sewn to the bottom compatment 13" below the top. the bottom compartment is sewn at both top edges of the hammock body. all three compartments are 8' long & sewn across the hammock body about one foot from the hammock ends.
      i don`t remember the demintions of the three shell parts that formed the three compartments. i just made them a fair amount larger. some parts i probably made more than large enough, & other parts i did not make large enough.
      i used 3ozs of ed`s 900 down in each compartment for a total of 9ozs.

      Some tougher questions that you may not know and I
      may not know what difference it makes either: what size needle (and
      was it a universal or ball point),
      ### the needle is a 80/12 sharps. i had already used it for a while & probably should change needles more offten from what i`ve been told.

      what type of thread did you use
      (polyester, nylon, cotton, etc.) and do you have any idea of the
      thread thickness, diameter, etc?
      ### the thread is for embrodery i was told... FUJIX KING STAR (brand), 120d/2 (no.40). pollyester i belive.

      In photo 1 of 6, "rip across shell attachment seen from inside", I
      can see a zigzag stitch but it doesn't appear that the tear is at the
      stitching, although it seems that it would have started at the
      stitching somewhere. And it doesn't look like the hammock fabric is
      a rip stop material. Are those observations correct?

      Dave
      ### the rip started on the zigzag stich, but vered of of it after a few inches.
      nope, not rip stop.

      what i have learned from that experiment is that when using large compartments that form a wedge shape, some of the down is going to find it`s way into the small places & be traped & compressed, therfore useless.
      also that down is so light & fluffy that even the weight of the shell (which was 1.1 ripstop by the way) seems to lay heavy on the down when trying to use those large compartments. i belive to get the most insulation from the down, smaller compartments w/ baffles will provide better structure & alow the down to retain it`s loft better & not get smushed in small places.
      i appreciate your help dave. ...tim

      .

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
        Tim,

        Just a quick response as I just saw you post and I am heading out the
        door for lunch, but the first think I would do different is to
        standardize on the hammock fabric so I knew what it was and could
        characterize how much stretch it has because if you are going to attach
        some insulation to it, you must allow for that stretch. Heck, even if
        you don't attach the insulation directly to the body of the hammock I
        would want to know how much it stretched in order to come up with a
        suspension system that allowed for that amount of stretch. I have been
        very pleased with the 1.9 oz rip stop nylon fabric with DWR that I find
        at my local fabric shops. It is what Ed recommended in his book and I
        think he still uses it for his A model hammocks. (In looking over his
        web site recently, I see he now offers it for sell at a very good
        price... I question his 65" width on it as what I keep seeing at my
        local fabric stores is 60-62", I believe. The 65" width is what I
        typically have seen for 1.1 oz RSN and silnylon.)

        Dave
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
          dave... i`ll look over the fabric ed has on his site. i`ll look forward to hearing more as you get a chance.
          i'd also love to hear about the new stuff you & ed have been working on.... i know, i know, you could tell me but you`d have to kill me <G>. ...tim
          PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth camping<g>?

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006

            > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
            of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
            camping<g>?

            Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
            a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
            authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
            book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
            notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
            campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
            behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
            large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
            had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
            before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
            cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
            almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
            and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
            of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
            country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
            in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
            much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
            over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
            thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.

            If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
            posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
            they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992

            These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
            http://tinyurl.com/t425g

            Dave
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
              man, i wish i could read your descriptions dave. i recently swiched back to IE because i was having so much trouble w/ firefox. i don`t guess you can have both on the same computer?
              great photos. makes me wish i was there.
              that`s pretty interresting about the stelth camp site. i saw what looked like an old shed roof in one photo & in the next photo, was that part of a sm plane or what? ...tim

              Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                Tim, it is not my web site. On IE, the descriptions seperate from the
                small photos when you scroll down the page to see the enlarged photo.
                It doesn' do that on FireFox or Netscape. You can read the
                description in IE if you stay at the top of the page.

                Dave

                > man, i wish i could read your descriptions dave. i recently swiched
                back to IE because i was having so much trouble w/ firefox. i don`t
                guess you can have both on the same computer?
                > great photos. makes me wish i was there.
                > that`s pretty interresting about the stelth camp site. i saw what
                looked like an old shed roof in one photo & in the next photo, was
                that part of a sm plane or what? ...tim

                > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                > camping?
                > >

                > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
                > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
                > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
                > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
                > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
                > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                >
                > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                >
                > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                >
                > Dave

              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                  I've always had both on the same computer. In fact, FireFox has an IE
                  tab that works only if you have IE installed.

                  Is it FireFox 2 you're having trouble with? A lot of people are.

                  CL

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                      i think it was the new version of firefox. i belive it was doing fine untill they "up-graded" it<g>
                      i came in from a backpacking trip a couple weekends ago & it was swiched back to internet explorer. i thought at first that my nephew had done it, but mabey not?
                      IE seems to be working fine now. i just lost all my bookmarks. ...tim

                      Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
                      I've always had both on the same computer. In fact, FireFox has an IE
                      tab that works only if you have IE installed.

                      Is it FireFox 2 you're having trouble with? A lot of people are.

                      CL
                      0

                    • Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                        Ouch!

                        I backup of everything often enough that I keep a backup folder on my
                        d-drive with shortcuts to all the pertinent places:
                        C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\Mozilla

                        This includes programs like Thunderbird and Mailwasher. It can also
                        include my personal dictionary in MS word and installed system icons.

                        I particularly backup these things before running ghost.exe or
                        reinstalling things. I did this before installing the new Firefox 2.

                        Of course all this computer chat is related to hammocks in two ways: 1)
                        functional computers are necessary to keep abreast of the rapidly
                        evolving hammock technology and 2) always have backup or do routine
                        system checks because something somehow will let you down, often
                        literally (more ouch!)

                        CL

                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                            Tim,

                            Be aware that having an external hard drive only gets you half way there if you run XP.

                            You need Ghost to copy useable backup. The standard system backup software will put a backup on the external hard drive, but will be unable to detect it when you want to restore.

                            The whole "system state" thing is a fussy little bugger.
                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                              Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                              photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                              your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                              know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                              allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                              the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certian files that I
                              might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
                              with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                And yet another option is to use cd-roms for each "folder" and burn a
                                disk every once in a while and save the cd-roms in an organized fashion.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                  you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                                  what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer yet.
                                  i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services?
                                  you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                                  after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>. ...tim

                                  Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                                  Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                                  photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                                  your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                                  know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                                  allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                                  the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files that I

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                    AVG by grisoft is awesome. Best of all it is free.

                                    Here is a link to Cnet's download website which has reviews and more:

                                    > you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                                    > what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together
                                    w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we
                                    have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my
                                    computer yet.
                                    > i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed
                                    mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton
                                    antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on
                                    norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus
                                    services?
                                    > you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                                    > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything
                                    else<G>. ...tim

                                    > Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                                    > Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock
                                    camping
                                    > photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to
                                    go with
                                    > your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the
                                    two, but I
                                    > know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                                    > allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any
                                    day in
                                    > the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files
                                    that I
                                    > might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not
                                    affiliated
                                    > with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
                                    > .

                                  • Scott
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                      Norton is one of the best. If you download google pack, which is free, you
                                      also get a free copy of Norton. It is not an eval copy either, it is fully
                                      functional.

                                      http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us

                                      --
                                      Scott
                                      www.HikeHaven.com

                                      uphttp://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us w/.
                                      we have
                                      > talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer
                                      > yet. i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad,
                                      > but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus
                                      > runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the
                                      > other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services? you can email
                                      > me direct at slowhike@...
                                      > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>.
                                      > ...tim

                                    • Robert Woods
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                        Dave,

                                        I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we where.

                                        The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the Bartram trail in Georgia.

                                        I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                                        Bobby

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                                          Bobby,

                                          John writes excellent guide books.

                                          The Georgia section of the Bartram Trail has some great campsites
                                          along the Chatooga River, some neat small waterfalls and the viewing
                                          tower on Raburn Bald. A couple of times I have been on Raburn Bald
                                          when there was a recent hatch of small, troublesome, flying insects.
                                          That is a bummer when that happens as you don't want to hang around
                                          and take in the view. Most of the times I have been there, you take
                                          a nap or have a lunch break. The section between Warwoman Dell and
                                          the Chatooga River has the most impressive spider webs I have run
                                          into. They are so strong they almost stop you in your tracks when
                                          you run into them. They are impressive and I think you will remember
                                          them if you encounter them. I enchanged posts with a fellow from
                                          Florida, I believe, on a Georgia hiking site I frequent who had
                                          turned the Georgia Bartram Trail into a loop hike by adding about an
                                          8 mile roadwalk along the forest service roads to connect the two
                                          trailheads. I think he may have shaved a few miles off by exiting
                                          Raburn Bald to the east via the Three Forks Trail(?) as well. Hope
                                          you enjoy the hike. If you are up to it, there is a great vista on a
                                          step side trail up to Pinnacle Peak, or some name like that, seems
                                          like it is less than a mile off the trail. I think it is about 4
                                          miles north of Warwoman Dell. There are some great sunset views, a
                                          spot for one tent and several hammocks up there.

                                          Dave

                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > Dave,
                                          >
                                          > I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills
                                          Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges
                                          during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We
                                          stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we
                                          where.

                                          > The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down
                                          the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the
                                          night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We
                                          talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide
                                          for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the
                                          Bartram trail in Georgia.

                                          > I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia
                                          section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                                          > Bobby
                                          >
                                          > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                                          <slowhike@>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                                          > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                                          > camping<g>?
                                          > >

                                          > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                                          > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                                          > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                                          > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                                          > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                                          > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                                          > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                                          > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                                          > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                                          > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                                          > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered
                                          trees...
                                          > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that
                                          area
                                          > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was
                                          kind
                                          > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                                          > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt
                                          motorcyclist
                                          > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                                          > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make
                                          it
                                          > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                                          > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                                          >
                                          > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                                          > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                                          > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                                          >
                                          > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                                          > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                                          >
                                          > Dave

                                        • Robert Woods
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                                            Dave,

                                            Thanks for the info. I will save it and review when we get ready to hke that section.

                                            Bobby