Re: slowhike`s down hammock version one (v1)

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006
      Tim,

      I'm sorry, I guess I'm going to be difficult <grin>. I can't figure
      out enough of the specifics of your version 1 to comment so I'll
      throw out a bunch of questions and see if it leads to anything.

      Is the hammock fabric 1.9 oz rip stop nylon (RSN) or is it 1.1 RSN or
      is it some other material and is it calendered and/or have a DWR
      coating? Is the down contained in one large compartment like Rick's
      warm hammock or does it have several baffled chambers along the lines
      of what Jeff was doing at one time? What are the dimensions of the
      hammock, the insulation and the dimensions where the shell attaches
      to the hammock? Some tougher questions that you may not know and I
      may not know what difference it makes either: what size needle (and
      was it a universal or ball point), what type of thread did you use
      (polyester, nylon, cotton, etc.) and do you have any idea of the
      thread thickness, diameter, etc?

      In photo 1 of 6, "rip across shell attachment seen from inside", I
      can see a zigzag stitch but it doesn't appear that the tear is at the
      stitching, although it seems that it would have started at the
      stitching somewhere. And it doesn't look like the hammock fabric is
      a rip stop material. Are those observations correct?

      Dave
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
        Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim,

        I'm sorry, I guess I'm going to be difficult . I can't figure
        out enough of the specifics of your version 1 to comment so I'll
        throw out a bunch of questions and see if it leads to anything.

        Is the hammock fabric 1.9 oz rip stop nylon (RSN) or is it 1.1 RSN or
        is it some other material and is it calendered and/or have a DWR
        coating?
        ### the fabric is from the $1.00 bin & i belive it came out to over 2 ozs per sq yard. i don`t think it has any treatment, but it has a soft feel & look that reminds me of parichute material.

        Is the down contained in one large compartment like Rick's
        warm hammock or does it have several baffled chambers along the lines
        of what Jeff was doing at one time?
        ###if you look at the ist color drawing, i edited the caption to say version one (v1).
        that`s how i did it, w/ three horisonal compartments going from end to end.

        What are the dimensions of the
        hammock, the insulation and the dimensions where the shell attaches
        to the hammock?
        ###the hammock is 10' x 50".
        the side baffles are sewn at the top edges & they are sewn to the bottom compatment 13" below the top. the bottom compartment is sewn at both top edges of the hammock body. all three compartments are 8' long & sewn across the hammock body about one foot from the hammock ends.
        i don`t remember the demintions of the three shell parts that formed the three compartments. i just made them a fair amount larger. some parts i probably made more than large enough, & other parts i did not make large enough.
        i used 3ozs of ed`s 900 down in each compartment for a total of 9ozs.

        Some tougher questions that you may not know and I
        may not know what difference it makes either: what size needle (and
        was it a universal or ball point),
        ### the needle is a 80/12 sharps. i had already used it for a while & probably should change needles more offten from what i`ve been told.

        what type of thread did you use
        (polyester, nylon, cotton, etc.) and do you have any idea of the
        thread thickness, diameter, etc?
        ### the thread is for embrodery i was told... FUJIX KING STAR (brand), 120d/2 (no.40). pollyester i belive.

        In photo 1 of 6, "rip across shell attachment seen from inside", I
        can see a zigzag stitch but it doesn't appear that the tear is at the
        stitching, although it seems that it would have started at the
        stitching somewhere. And it doesn't look like the hammock fabric is
        a rip stop material. Are those observations correct?

        Dave
        ### the rip started on the zigzag stich, but vered of of it after a few inches.
        nope, not rip stop.

        what i have learned from that experiment is that when using large compartments that form a wedge shape, some of the down is going to find it`s way into the small places & be traped & compressed, therfore useless.
        also that down is so light & fluffy that even the weight of the shell (which was 1.1 ripstop by the way) seems to lay heavy on the down when trying to use those large compartments. i belive to get the most insulation from the down, smaller compartments w/ baffles will provide better structure & alow the down to retain it`s loft better & not get smushed in small places.
        i appreciate your help dave. ...tim

        .

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
          Tim,

          Just a quick response as I just saw you post and I am heading out the
          door for lunch, but the first think I would do different is to
          standardize on the hammock fabric so I knew what it was and could
          characterize how much stretch it has because if you are going to attach
          some insulation to it, you must allow for that stretch. Heck, even if
          you don't attach the insulation directly to the body of the hammock I
          would want to know how much it stretched in order to come up with a
          suspension system that allowed for that amount of stretch. I have been
          very pleased with the 1.9 oz rip stop nylon fabric with DWR that I find
          at my local fabric shops. It is what Ed recommended in his book and I
          think he still uses it for his A model hammocks. (In looking over his
          web site recently, I see he now offers it for sell at a very good
          price... I question his 65" width on it as what I keep seeing at my
          local fabric stores is 60-62", I believe. The 65" width is what I
          typically have seen for 1.1 oz RSN and silnylon.)

          Dave
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
            dave... i`ll look over the fabric ed has on his site. i`ll look forward to hearing more as you get a chance.
            i'd also love to hear about the new stuff you & ed have been working on.... i know, i know, you could tell me but you`d have to kill me <G>. ...tim
            PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth camping<g>?

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006

              > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
              of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
              camping<g>?

              Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
              a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
              authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
              book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
              notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
              campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
              behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
              large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
              had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
              before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
              cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
              almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
              and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
              of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
              country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
              in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
              much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
              over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
              thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.

              If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
              posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
              they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992

              These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
              http://tinyurl.com/t425g

              Dave
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                man, i wish i could read your descriptions dave. i recently swiched back to IE because i was having so much trouble w/ firefox. i don`t guess you can have both on the same computer?
                great photos. makes me wish i was there.
                that`s pretty interresting about the stelth camp site. i saw what looked like an old shed roof in one photo & in the next photo, was that part of a sm plane or what? ...tim

                Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner

                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Tim, it is not my web site. On IE, the descriptions seperate from the
                  small photos when you scroll down the page to see the enlarged photo.
                  It doesn' do that on FireFox or Netscape. You can read the
                  description in IE if you stay at the top of the page.

                  Dave

                  > man, i wish i could read your descriptions dave. i recently swiched
                  back to IE because i was having so much trouble w/ firefox. i don`t
                  guess you can have both on the same computer?
                  > great photos. makes me wish i was there.
                  > that`s pretty interresting about the stelth camp site. i saw what
                  looked like an old shed roof in one photo & in the next photo, was
                  that part of a sm plane or what? ...tim

                  > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                  > wrote:
                  > >

                  > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                  > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                  > camping?
                  > >

                  > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                  > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                  > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                  > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                  > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                  > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                  > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                  > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                  > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                  > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                  > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered trees...
                  > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that area
                  > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was kind
                  > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                  > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt motorcyclist
                  > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                  > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make it
                  > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                  > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                  >
                  > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                  > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                  > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                  >
                  > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                  > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                  >
                  > Dave

                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                    I've always had both on the same computer. In fact, FireFox has an IE
                    tab that works only if you have IE installed.

                    Is it FireFox 2 you're having trouble with? A lot of people are.

                    CL

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                        i think it was the new version of firefox. i belive it was doing fine untill they "up-graded" it<g>
                        i came in from a backpacking trip a couple weekends ago & it was swiched back to internet explorer. i thought at first that my nephew had done it, but mabey not?
                        IE seems to be working fine now. i just lost all my bookmarks. ...tim

                        Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
                        I've always had both on the same computer. In fact, FireFox has an IE
                        tab that works only if you have IE installed.

                        Is it FireFox 2 you're having trouble with? A lot of people are.

                        CL
                        0

                      • Cara Lin Bridgman
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                          Ouch!

                          I backup of everything often enough that I keep a backup folder on my
                          d-drive with shortcuts to all the pertinent places:
                          C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\Mozilla

                          This includes programs like Thunderbird and Mailwasher. It can also
                          include my personal dictionary in MS word and installed system icons.

                          I particularly backup these things before running ghost.exe or
                          reinstalling things. I did this before installing the new Firefox 2.

                          Of course all this computer chat is related to hammocks in two ways: 1)
                          functional computers are necessary to keep abreast of the rapidly
                          evolving hammock technology and 2) always have backup or do routine
                          system checks because something somehow will let you down, often
                          literally (more ouch!)

                          CL

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                              Tim,

                              Be aware that having an external hard drive only gets you half way there if you run XP.

                              You need Ghost to copy useable backup. The standard system backup software will put a backup on the external hard drive, but will be unable to detect it when you want to restore.

                              The whole "system state" thing is a fussy little bugger.
                              Tom

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                                photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                                your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                                know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                                allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                                the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certian files that I
                                might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not affiliated
                                with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                  And yet another option is to use cd-roms for each "folder" and burn a
                                  disk every once in a while and save the cd-roms in an organized fashion.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                    you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                                    what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer yet.
                                    i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services?
                                    you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                                    after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>. ...tim

                                    Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                                    Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock camping
                                    photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to go with
                                    your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the two, but I
                                    know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                                    allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any day in
                                    the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files that I

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                      AVG by grisoft is awesome. Best of all it is free.

                                      Here is a link to Cnet's download website which has reviews and more:

                                      > you guys are talkin greek to me<G>... but i do appreciate it.
                                      > what i`m going to do is save these suggestions & get together
                                      w/ a friend who does know computers to see what we can come up w/. we
                                      have talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my
                                      computer yet.
                                      > i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed
                                      mad, but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton
                                      antivirus runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on
                                      norton, one of the other paid services, or one of the free anti virus
                                      services?
                                      > you can email me direct at slowhike@...
                                      > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything
                                      else<G>. ...tim

                                      > Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
                                      > Another option for all those who don't want to lose their hammock
                                      camping
                                      > photos and e-mails is the Retrospect backup and restore software to
                                      go with
                                      > your external drive. I'm not a Ghost user so I can't compare the
                                      two, but I
                                      > know Retrospect 7 is automatically backing up my computer every day and
                                      > allows me to restore to a new hard drive easily. I can specify any
                                      day in
                                      > the last 30 days to restore to. Or I can just go get certain files
                                      that I
                                      > might have cause harm to. Just be sure it's 7 and not 5. I'm not
                                      affiliated
                                      > with Retrospect, just a happy user. I like automatic.
                                      > .

                                    • Scott
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                        Norton is one of the best. If you download google pack, which is free, you
                                        also get a free copy of Norton. It is not an eval copy either, it is fully
                                        functional.

                                        http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us

                                        --
                                        Scott
                                        www.HikeHaven.com

                                        uphttp://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_required.html?hl=en&gl=us w/.
                                        we have
                                        > talked about this before, just haven`t got anything set up on my computer
                                        > yet. i hate to ask another non-hammock question (i`ve never seen ed mad,
                                        > but i don`t really want to<g>), but my subscription w/ norton antivirus
                                        > runs out today. i`m wondering what are the opinions on norton, one of the
                                        > other paid services, or one of the free anti virus services? you can email
                                        > me direct at slowhike@...
                                        > after all... my computer is more about hammocking than anything else<G>.
                                        > ...tim

                                      • Robert Woods
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                          Dave,

                                          I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we where.

                                          The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the Bartram trail in Georgia.

                                          I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                                          Bobby

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                                            Bobby,

                                            John writes excellent guide books.

                                            The Georgia section of the Bartram Trail has some great campsites
                                            along the Chatooga River, some neat small waterfalls and the viewing
                                            tower on Raburn Bald. A couple of times I have been on Raburn Bald
                                            when there was a recent hatch of small, troublesome, flying insects.
                                            That is a bummer when that happens as you don't want to hang around
                                            and take in the view. Most of the times I have been there, you take
                                            a nap or have a lunch break. The section between Warwoman Dell and
                                            the Chatooga River has the most impressive spider webs I have run
                                            into. They are so strong they almost stop you in your tracks when
                                            you run into them. They are impressive and I think you will remember
                                            them if you encounter them. I enchanged posts with a fellow from
                                            Florida, I believe, on a Georgia hiking site I frequent who had
                                            turned the Georgia Bartram Trail into a loop hike by adding about an
                                            8 mile roadwalk along the forest service roads to connect the two
                                            trailheads. I think he may have shaved a few miles off by exiting
                                            Raburn Bald to the east via the Three Forks Trail(?) as well. Hope
                                            you enjoy the hike. If you are up to it, there is a great vista on a
                                            step side trail up to Pinnacle Peak, or some name like that, seems
                                            like it is less than a mile off the trail. I think it is about 4
                                            miles north of Warwoman Dell. There are some great sunset views, a
                                            spot for one tent and several hammocks up there.

                                            Dave

                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > Dave,
                                            >
                                            > I first met John Ray When I was through hiking the Foothills
                                            Trail back in 2005. My hiking partner and I had hike 3 of the gorges
                                            during the day and walked until almost dark before we stopped. We
                                            stopped short of our destination but we did not know how close we
                                            where.

                                            > The next morning we got up and broke camp. About 200 yards down
                                            the trail we came to the campsite we were too tired to reach the
                                            night before. Sitting there was John Ray eating breakfast. We
                                            talked for about 10 minutes. He was doing research on a trail guide
                                            for the Foothills trail. He informed us about his trail guide to the
                                            Bartram trail in Georgia.

                                            > I still look forward to reading John's book as the Georgia
                                            section of the Bartram trail will be my early spring hike in 2008.

                                            > Bobby
                                            >
                                            > Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner
                                            <slowhike@>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >

                                            > > PS... you mentioned hiking near murphy where eric rudoff did some
                                            > of his camping. you recon he could teach us something about stelth
                                            > camping<g>?
                                            > >

                                            > Funny you should mention that Tim. I tagged along on that trip with
                                            > a buddy of mine with the American Hiking Society and one of the
                                            > authors of the guidebook for that trail. The author of the guide
                                            > book, John Ray, lead the hike using his guidebook and taking a few
                                            > notes along the way. On our last night out we used a stealth
                                            > campsite that someone that lives in that area showed him. It was
                                            > behind a 50 foot wall of rhododendron that he located by a certain
                                            > large rock in the middle of the trail, the first 15 feet of it you
                                            > had to crawl on your hands and knees through a rhododendron tunnel
                                            > before you could stand up and walk through the rest. After you
                                            > cleared the rhododendron it was a grassy area with scattered
                                            trees...
                                            > almost a bald. I saw a few old rusted cans, a fire ring it that
                                            area
                                            > and an old glass Pepsi bottle with a metal screw-on cap. It was
                                            kind
                                            > of neat, but I don't know if Eric used it. That is some rugged
                                            > country and trails. We only saw one hunter and one dirt
                                            motorcyclist
                                            > in our three days on the trail. The Fires Creek Rim Trail pretty
                                            > much follows the boundary of a bear sanctuary, where if they make
                                            it
                                            > over the ridge and into the basin they are safe. The hunter said he
                                            > thought about 9 bears had been taken so far this year.
                                            >
                                            > If you are interested in some of my photos from the trip, they are
                                            > posted here, but the descriptive text doesn't work right using IE,
                                            > they do with FireFox: http://tinyurl.com/yy2992
                                            >
                                            > These are the ones from the Linville Gorge trip with Ed and Steve:
                                            > http://tinyurl.com/t425g
                                            >
                                            > Dave

                                          • Robert Woods
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 8, 2006
                                              Dave,

                                              Thanks for the info. I will save it and review when we get ready to hke that section.

                                              Bobby