RE: [Hammock Camping] Dream hammock photos and test

    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
      Ralph:

      Yes, you've got it right.

      I've been thinking about ways to improve the seal as well. I'm loath to add any more clips that have to be undone and redone to get in an out. It's supposed to be at least as easy as using a zipper.

      However, I'm considering experimenting with two puller straps, maybe around 1/3 the way along the sides, rather than one in the middle. That might be an acceptable compromise between solid sealing and ease of entry.

      Bear

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 6, 2006
        Taking a look at your dream hammock, my first thought was two puller
        straps, too. Placed just as you state below.

        But, the I began to wonder about this alternative: What if you used
        twice the width of mosquito netting. The netting would run from halfway
        underneath, around the top, and back to halfway underneath. The netting
        would only be sewn to the hammock at the casings. The rest of it
        would be loose. Having the ends sewn to the casing, may keep the net
        wrapped around you. So, all you'd have to do is pull the net up to
        climb in and out, no calisthenics to connect puller straps underneath
        you. That's the theory, but I probably do not have enough real-world
        experience to predict how well it will work. For all I know, the net
        would wind up as a rope over your head.

        If this works, it would allow you to eliminate the puller straps all
        together. The biggest disadvantage I see so far is that this will
        prevent you from flipping the hammock over for a net-free night (among
        other uses). This might be solved with bungies and mitten-hooks (rather
        like installing a JRB quilt on the wrong side) instead of sewing the
        loose halves into the underside of the hammock casing.

        CL