Re: [Hammock Camping] Dream hammock photos and test

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
      OK I think I understand now?????

      1) By using the two clips on the bugnet you create a "virtual" ridgeline to
      suspend the net.
      2) would a couple more underbody loops help keep the net tight around your
      shoulers?

      3) I like the straps, I'm gonna try them.

      Ralph

      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
        Ralph:

        Yes, you've got it right.

        I've been thinking about ways to improve the seal as well. I'm loath to add any more clips that have to be undone and redone to get in an out. It's supposed to be at least as easy as using a zipper.

        However, I'm considering experimenting with two puller straps, maybe around 1/3 the way along the sides, rather than one in the middle. That might be an acceptable compromise between solid sealing and ease of entry.

        Bear

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 6, 2006
          Taking a look at your dream hammock, my first thought was two puller
          straps, too. Placed just as you state below.

          But, the I began to wonder about this alternative: What if you used
          twice the width of mosquito netting. The netting would run from halfway
          underneath, around the top, and back to halfway underneath. The netting
          would only be sewn to the hammock at the casings. The rest of it
          would be loose. Having the ends sewn to the casing, may keep the net
          wrapped around you. So, all you'd have to do is pull the net up to
          climb in and out, no calisthenics to connect puller straps underneath
          you. That's the theory, but I probably do not have enough real-world
          experience to predict how well it will work. For all I know, the net
          would wind up as a rope over your head.

          If this works, it would allow you to eliminate the puller straps all
          together. The biggest disadvantage I see so far is that this will
          prevent you from flipping the hammock over for a net-free night (among
          other uses). This might be solved with bungies and mitten-hooks (rather
          like installing a JRB quilt on the wrong side) instead of sewing the
          loose halves into the underside of the hammock casing.

          CL