RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Dream hammock photos and test

    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
      Jeff:

      If you mean the photo titled "Rings close up" then what you're looking at is the stock configuration of a "Travel Hammock."

      It's a single layer of parachute nylon with a casing. They use 7 or 8 mm prussik cord through the casing. I attached my two rings using a Lark's head hitch -- didn't even have to untie the stock loop.

      And yes, it holds just fine and is easy to adjust or release in the morning.

      Some folks can't find the right combination of webbing and rings to make it work without slipping, but I don't have that problem. (Maybe it's got something to do with my body weight?)

      All that happens is that the surface of the webbing gets either really compressed or hot or something that makes it a bit shiny. But that doesn't seem to impact the operation much.

      If you look at the "Ring and toggle" photo, that method seems even better to me. And you'll notice that topologically, the ring and toggle is the same as a common ladder buckle.

      I'd like to be the first to advance the theory that if we could find a sufficiently thick ladder buckle, that's all we'd need for a simple, adjustable strap system. I've tried it with a wire ladder buckle of about 1/8 inch gauge wire, but the force just bends the middle wire in. Once the webbing goes flat, it starts to slip.

      Bear

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
        OK I think I understand now?????

        1) By using the two clips on the bugnet you create a "virtual" ridgeline to
        suspend the net.
        2) would a couple more underbody loops help keep the net tight around your
        shoulers?

        3) I like the straps, I'm gonna try them.

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
          Ralph:

          Yes, you've got it right.

          I've been thinking about ways to improve the seal as well. I'm loath to add any more clips that have to be undone and redone to get in an out. It's supposed to be at least as easy as using a zipper.

          However, I'm considering experimenting with two puller straps, maybe around 1/3 the way along the sides, rather than one in the middle. That might be an acceptable compromise between solid sealing and ease of entry.

          Bear

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 6, 2006
            Taking a look at your dream hammock, my first thought was two puller
            straps, too. Placed just as you state below.

            But, the I began to wonder about this alternative: What if you used
            twice the width of mosquito netting. The netting would run from halfway
            underneath, around the top, and back to halfway underneath. The netting
            would only be sewn to the hammock at the casings. The rest of it
            would be loose. Having the ends sewn to the casing, may keep the net
            wrapped around you. So, all you'd have to do is pull the net up to
            climb in and out, no calisthenics to connect puller straps underneath
            you. That's the theory, but I probably do not have enough real-world
            experience to predict how well it will work. For all I know, the net
            would wind up as a rope over your head.

            If this works, it would allow you to eliminate the puller straps all
            together. The biggest disadvantage I see so far is that this will
            prevent you from flipping the hammock over for a net-free night (among
            other uses). This might be solved with bungies and mitten-hooks (rather
            like installing a JRB quilt on the wrong side) instead of sewing the
            loose halves into the underside of the hammock casing.

            CL