Re: Dream hammock photos and test

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
      Great pics, Bear...looks like an excellent project.

      Maybe if you sewed a small strip of elastic, maybe 3" long, right
      where the netting sags onto your face, it would tighten it up enough
      to keep it off your face.

      Also, I think you may have discussed this before but I don't remember
      the details. On the close-up pic of your rings attachment, is that
      just a cord holding the rings, then the webbing passes through it?
      Has that been strong enough to hold you well w/o slipping? And it's
      easy to undo in the morning?

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
        Jeff:

        If you mean the photo titled "Rings close up" then what you're looking at is the stock configuration of a "Travel Hammock."

        It's a single layer of parachute nylon with a casing. They use 7 or 8 mm prussik cord through the casing. I attached my two rings using a Lark's head hitch -- didn't even have to untie the stock loop.

        And yes, it holds just fine and is easy to adjust or release in the morning.

        Some folks can't find the right combination of webbing and rings to make it work without slipping, but I don't have that problem. (Maybe it's got something to do with my body weight?)

        All that happens is that the surface of the webbing gets either really compressed or hot or something that makes it a bit shiny. But that doesn't seem to impact the operation much.

        If you look at the "Ring and toggle" photo, that method seems even better to me. And you'll notice that topologically, the ring and toggle is the same as a common ladder buckle.

        I'd like to be the first to advance the theory that if we could find a sufficiently thick ladder buckle, that's all we'd need for a simple, adjustable strap system. I've tried it with a wire ladder buckle of about 1/8 inch gauge wire, but the force just bends the middle wire in. Once the webbing goes flat, it starts to slip.

        Bear

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
          OK I think I understand now?????

          1) By using the two clips on the bugnet you create a "virtual" ridgeline to
          suspend the net.
          2) would a couple more underbody loops help keep the net tight around your
          shoulers?

          3) I like the straps, I'm gonna try them.

          Ralph

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
            Ralph:

            Yes, you've got it right.

            I've been thinking about ways to improve the seal as well. I'm loath to add any more clips that have to be undone and redone to get in an out. It's supposed to be at least as easy as using a zipper.

            However, I'm considering experimenting with two puller straps, maybe around 1/3 the way along the sides, rather than one in the middle. That might be an acceptable compromise between solid sealing and ease of entry.

            Bear

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 6, 2006
              Taking a look at your dream hammock, my first thought was two puller
              straps, too. Placed just as you state below.

              But, the I began to wonder about this alternative: What if you used
              twice the width of mosquito netting. The netting would run from halfway
              underneath, around the top, and back to halfway underneath. The netting
              would only be sewn to the hammock at the casings. The rest of it
              would be loose. Having the ends sewn to the casing, may keep the net
              wrapped around you. So, all you'd have to do is pull the net up to
              climb in and out, no calisthenics to connect puller straps underneath
              you. That's the theory, but I probably do not have enough real-world
              experience to predict how well it will work. For all I know, the net
              would wind up as a rope over your head.

              If this works, it would allow you to eliminate the puller straps all
              together. The biggest disadvantage I see so far is that this will
              prevent you from flipping the hammock over for a net-free night (among
              other uses). This might be solved with bungies and mitten-hooks (rather
              like installing a JRB quilt on the wrong side) instead of sewing the
              loose halves into the underside of the hammock casing.

              CL