Hammock Camping Re: I need help!!

    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 2, 2003
      Jodi,

      I read in one of the other responses about finding a place where you
      are shielded from the wind. I absolutely concur.

      Even in the middle of the night, even if it is raining, is is likely
      worth while to put on the rain gear, pack everything up, and move to
      a spot protected from the wind.

      I remember a paragraph in Ed's book about finding that little sweet
      spot on the AT where the wind was roaring over his head and he was
      very protected by a group of rocks... On my latest adventure I had
      one night with the wind roaring over my head and the geography
      protected me, and one night with the wind roaring through my
      hammock... The first night was a Lot nicer.

      That and perpendicular to the wind that is there.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
      wrote:
      > thanks for your reply Rick. Just wanted to mention that I had no
      choice
      > in hammock direction and there was no storm - just lots of rain and
      > wind. But that's good to remember (re perpendicular) for when I go
      out,
      > I should have plenty of selection for direction (gee, that rhymes!!)
      > should there be detection of rain in the prediction of the forecast
      (LOL
      > sorry - couldn't resist)

      Everything
      > became pretty well soaked by the cloud water vapor...
      >
      > Keep going out in different conditions... But be careful of the
      > lightening storms! When you have no real option out camping, they
      > are one thing, when it is in your yard, to be out in severe air to
      > ground lightening is a little more risky than I can recommend!
      >
      > Rick
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > Ok you guys, I need some help here. In my experiements with my
      > hammock
      > > in preparation for my upcoming trip, I have slept in just about
      > every
      > > imaginable weather condition you can think of. I slept in cold
      > below 30
      > > (fine - figured out what I needed to do to stay warm), wind,
      rain,
      > calm.
      > > My problem is this......wind AND rain! Gusts upward of 50 mph.
      We
      > had
      > > a wind advisory last night and being the dedicated tester I am, I
      > > decided to sleep in my hammock to experience rain and wind
      combined.
      > > Well, lemme tell ya something - there is a HUGE difference
      between
      > rain
      > > or wind and rain AND wind combined. I ended up soaked even tho I
      > > adjusted the fly twice in the night on the side that
      > kept "flapping" and
      > > soaking me. Help - what do I need to look at to fix that? My
      > hammock
      > > was setup so I was laying north to south. My feet were pointing
      > the
      > > south. The wind came out of the south - the rainfly on the east
      > side is
      > > what gave me the problems. The part on the west did not give me
      any
      > > trouble. Another thing to keep in mind is this - the hammock had
      > been
      > > left hanging in the rain for the whole day (it was dry inside -
      > THAT did
      > > have me impressed!) so the fly was saturated as was the tree
      strap
      > and
      > > tie-up ropes. So I'm sure it stretched more than expected when I
      > > climbed in last night. I readjusted (tightened) the rain fly
      > twice -
      > > moving the stake the second time in the hope that that would fix
      > it It
      > > did not - I woke up soaked - sleeping bag was soaked. I stayed
      > warm tho
      > > - yay!!!
      > >
      > > Any ideas? Any questions that I may not have mentioned answers
      > feel
      > > free to ask
      > > Thanks!!
      > > Jodi
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
      05
      > 065843:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16n0s295n/*http://ads.x10.com/?
      bHlhaG9vaG0xL
      > mRhd=1054516798%
      3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065
      > 843:HM/A=1482387/R=1=1054516798%
      3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egr
      > oupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1482387/R=2>
      >
      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egrou
      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=441319413>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 23, 2003
        Hi,

        If you go to WallyMart they have a set of replacement tubes & pouch
        for about $4. The pouch is a little leather oblong that has a hole
        in either end which the tubing is attached to using what looks like
        a larkshead knot.

        What I did was cut the leather so I could pull the tubing off. That
        leaves a tube with a loop in the end. If you're using a grommet or
        plastic ring like the Hennessey uses on the fly then you need to get
        the ring inside the tubing loop.

        The secret is that the tubing is simply a tube. On one end they poke
        a hole in one wall of the tube. Then they lay the pouch on the tube,
        reach through the hole, grab the end of the tube and pull it through
        the hole so it ends up turning inside itself.

        It's much less difficult to do than it is to picture from this
        description though. First you'll want to soap it up to make the
        rubber slippery. Then you can grab the loop with a pair of needle-
        nose pliers and pull it back out of itself. Then you can reverse the
        process by using the needle-nose pliers again to reach through the
        hole and grab the end to catch the ring or grommet. The first time
        you do it you'll puzzle over it. The 2nd time you'll just do it.

        In fact, I don't bother pulling the tubing out when I do it. I just
        cut it off just below where it connects to the leather pouch. Then I
        poke a hole using a shish-kebab skewer about 3/4" from the end. I
        push the nose of the pliers through the open end of the tube & out
        the hole I just made. Then I pull the other end of the tube through
        the ring and then place that end in the jaws of the pliers. Then I
        pull it through and when I'm done I've got that nice neat connection
        around the ring.

        On the free end of the tube that attaches to the tie-out cord I use
        a small (1/4" dia) nylon spacer (Home Depot, 50 cents, you'll find
        them in the drawers of miscellaneous hardware) I thread the end of
        the cord through the spacer (it's a hollow nylon tube) and tie a few
        overhand knots to make it large enough not to slip through the hole
        in the spacer. I put some Crazy Glue on the knot to make sure it
        doesn't unravel. Then I soap up the nylon spacer and shove it into
        the end of the rubber tubing. You'll need to fiddle with it a bit to
        get the thing in as it's a tight fit and you'll want to make sure
        the end of the tubing comes down over the end of the spacer but once
        it's on it's not coming off again unless you roll the tubing off of
        the spacer.

        As they say, this thing is "bulletproof". I've not had any issues
        with the connections of the tubing. When I hang my hammock I tie it
        to a stake or tree with the tubing stretched. Then as the fly
        loosens up the tubing takes up the slack. I don't think using an
        elastic cord like the Hennessey's hammock tie-outs use would work
        long term as they tend to loose their stretch over time when
        regularly tied out in a stretched mode. The rubber tubing is a
        surgical grade rubber that doesn't have a problem being tied out
        stretched and then returning to it's unstretched size.

        I don't think this whole thing weighs more than a couple of ounces.

        Jim